The Next Chapter: Bodom After Midnight

bfYv3y2.jpg

166764083_1327960647580030_2008678046078548929_n.jpg

167485273_1327957100913718_8421533794871838971_n.jpg

Well, if this video is very last work with him and if he was drunk here... and he died because of alcohol... maybe he drank more alcohol these times. :/
(They made the video around December 19.)

Strongly disliking the production. I think this is the worst produced stuff Alexi has ever been involved with. That fast riffing sounds like complete ass. Drums, which were so stellar in COB and Synergy are a washed out mess here. What's going on with the snare during blast beats? One or two cymbals are audible the rest doesn't exist. Keyboards compete with guitars for the same space. How did Karmila botch the mixing here so bad dammit.

Love Daniel's solo, sounds refreshing and different.

Can't wait for guitar cover videos. Those at least will be better sounding.

Strongly disliking the production. I think this is the worst produced stuff Alexi has ever been involved with. That fast riffing sounds like complete ass. Drums, which were so stellar in COB and Synergy are a washed out mess here. What's going on with the snare during blast beats? One or two cymbals are audible the rest doesn't exist. Keyboards compete with guitars for the same space. How did Karmila botch the mixing here so bad dammit.

I get what you're saying. It overall sounds a little muddy. But still it sounds aggressive, fresh and energetic which is more important to me than a very clean but boring sound.

Reactions: NamCeeee

Unfortunately I have to agree that the production is really lacking especially on drum sound. I will reserve my full judgement for when I hear it in lossless quality though.

After several listens I think that the song itself is not that memorable either - seems pretty disjointed - but the bridge section is really cool. It will probably grow on me though.

This was such a great goodbye. Youtube premiere felt like an online funeral with all the fans. I'm glad Alexi left us some material to celebrate his life and death. It brought a lot of closure to this loss.

About the song:
I really liked it, feels like a mixture of Halo of Blood album with Hexed album and I really like that Bodom sound. Ofc nothing beats Hatebreeder/FTR for me but I never ever expected Alexi to do an album like that again.
Intro sounds so mean, keyboards adds a dark atmosphere a lot and Daniel arrangements really suit Alexi's lead guitar.
Verse is so good, riff starts with the first few notes of Blackened riff by Metallica and then changes to a more melodic approach. Drumming here is so good, lot's of quick double bass fills to follow the guitar. I really dig the new drummer's work. This verse makes me dance, and I love the Bodom that makes me dance.
Bridge before chorus gives me some FTR vibes, good transition.
Chorus is ok, I like the gang shouts, not the best part but a really catchy one.
Breakdown is really good, the delay on the guitar makes it sound so good and the drums come in with just ride and snare + bass drum in 1 and 3 beats, that's the way to go for a breakdown like this, not only that, then comes the bass drum triplets which is such a nice addition, again drummer stealing the show here.
Alexi solo is ok, Daniel one is pretty good, love it.

All in all great song to say goodbye, I'm really happy. We only have one left, thanks Alexi for this gift <3

Sound mix sound weird, instruments are fighting to get audible and everything sounds really centered and like artificially stereodized

Hey, there was some mean energy on this one, it sounded authentic and no so much like "guys, the label says we need to make an album". IWC clearly suffered from that, and even some songs of hexed. Shit they did not play PTSWB live

Reactions: NewHewkas
For me it was a really carefully done mix, at the beginning all instruments are in cohesion, they all have equal strength, blast beats are softened so it doesn't sound like some dull black metal, in verse guitars and bass dominate, pre chorus has an emphasis on the keyboards. Guitar solos have perfect tone, they sound metal, unlike solos on Hexed that sound like some hard rock band.

Sorry mate but it’s not speculation. I’m telling you that he did. A lot of people worked on that video This is with a lot of editing to make him look better as well which is worrying.

Your comment earlier and this one above really made me notice some awkward whammy bar hand placement at 3:19. As if he wasn't sure/not totally there type of thing. Might be reading in too much. :(

Reactions: rabber_335i
Yah mixing to me is not great, definitely lacking clarity in the instruments and guitars seem too low while drums seem a bit too loud. Mixing on hexed was great. everything with clear, tight and guitars were very upfront but very well balanced with all the rest.
really impressed with dan's solo, didnt know he could compose so well. i literally thought it was an alexi solo and in fact his solo was better than alexi's in this song. love the song though even though i hate blast beats.

Your comment earlier and this one above really made me notice some awkward whammy bar hand placement at 3:19. As if he wasn't sure/not totally there type of thing. Might be reading in too much. :(

Noticed that also right away. Like he was expecting the tremolo arm to be close by but then realized it wasn't.

I am starting to think that metalheads really like muddy production :rofl: last three Bodom albums all had a lot of background hiss and noise, and they all had bad drum sound, inaudible bass and Hexed even had muddy guitar sound too

I really dig the three verses of the song having different arrangement.
Second verse has a background keyboard riff that I'm having trouble to understand what it is playing but sounds cool.
Third verse has no keyboard riff but drums are on a skank beat and guitars are harmonized.

This approach makes verses feel fresh, I like that.

Reactions: COB-666
That was tough to watch. I couldn't even finish watching the video the first time I tried. Alexi looks so ill and unkept. It's the same look when someone is really sick in hospital. This was 2 weeks before he passed away. As much as people were saying Alexi was fine and it was a surprise you can clearly see he was not well :(

He's playing the wrong notes in a bunch of parts and the vocals are often some parts edited together. It looks like they didn't have enough takes to work with and tried their best not to focus too much on him.

This mix sounds muddy on my phone, TV and computer speakers but it sounds MUCH better though my studio monitors. There is a lot of panning and stereo widening which results in a muddy sound on everyday speakers. I wouldn't agree with mixing for monitors when the majority of people are using phones nowadays.