The Next Chapter: Bodom After Midnight

Not a huge fan of the main riff, but the verses are decent (Especially with the melodic part that comes occasionally), and the chorus is glorious :D Better than PTSWB IMO, though PTSWB definitely had a better main riff.

Reactions: Zman and COB-666
Got the EP (CD digipack), I still like the artwork...it's just fitting. Reading the very last words in the "booklet" made me shake my head...it's still just unbelievable.

"Payback's A Bitch" was one last, but really nice goodbye - I'll so miss that feeling of hearing a new Bodom song the first time. It was always so interesting and surprising, sometimes even irritating, but after a few times hearingt it later it all made sense. And this last song is a wonderful example of that - first time listening is just weird and chaotic, but very interesting and surprising again and again. After hearing it countless times since yesterday I enjoy it a lot - at the moment I like it more than "Paint", but that's probably because it's still new. Both songs show he was far from done musically and we would have gotten a couple more records in the next years/decades...if it wasn't for the fucking alcohol.

Overall I enjoy both those two last songs a lot and it really hurts to never hear that whole album that was about to be written and recorded this year. Alexi was unique and nobody can replace him. As great as he was a guitar player, I will miss him even more as a songwriter. Those 10 COB albums and this EP (to me in this case = EPilogue) will stay with me for my whole life and will always remember me to the times I became a fan in 2007 up until now.

I still have two Sinergy albums left to listen...I somehow forgot about them all those years and just listened to the first one in the last months...it's also nice and has its moments when Alexi really shines through, but it's just not up there with Bodom imo. Furthermore, after all that bullshit with Kim I wasn't in the mood of hearing her voice all the time...also, I don't think like her voice a lot. I'll listen to the other two albums still some time later, but this today is the real end for me.

I hope you will like 'To Hell and Back' since it's a "guitar wankery" between Alexi and Roope, the two guitarists basically compete to show what they can do. Golden years...

Yes, I'm looking forward to that. Can't get any better than both Alexi and Roope in a band. I also know some stuff from the third album from many years ago, there are really cool things to find. But it's in general a different mood from Bodom.

I kinda like Payback. It's a fun, unmistakably Laiho song that should be fun to play.

BAM's group: " if u turn this pic on one´s side u see face "

KrgPqTo.jpg

CBMa02F.jpg

Reactions: Faffy
The EP is meh in exactly the same way the last few albums were meh. Which, if you think about it, is completely unsurprising

Reactions: NewHewkas
So after listening to the whole thing my opinion:

The title track for me is just amazing. Exactly how a good Bodom song should be (obviously in CoB there would probably have been a keyboard solo additionally). It's an instant classic for me. 5/5

Payback... Well I don't know. There are too many different parts that aren't glued together that well if you know what I mean. Maybe I need to listen to it even more and it will grow on me, but what I always loved about Alexi's songwriting is how he managed put all these different parts together in one song in a way that fits and makes sense. I feel like he failed a little bit here. 3/5

The cover is a nice farewell song. I didn't know the original, so it's quite fresh and like a new song for me. 4/5

" Payback... Well I don't know. There are too many different parts that aren't glued together that well if you know what I mean. "
I agree. This is not a good property of this song. But "payback" has good parts, like the "keyboard parts" - I love these. (best moments of the song)

My all-time favourite band is Cardiacs, so I'm really into the whole "parts that aren't glued together that well" haha. You guys you definitely give them a go as they are often referenced as "The best band you've never heard of". Not metal though, but there is some mad genius things going on in there.
The solo to Fiery Gun Hand is the best example I can share. It starts at 3:16 (for the people who can't handle the rest of the song :D):

Kinda cool to meet this other side of Alexi, and see behind the scenes how songs come together.

Reactions: MattK