The Next Chapter: Bodom After Midnight

I have really mixed feelings regarding Payback's a bitch. It will require a few listens to fully "get it". All I can say to describe it is that it's very "rich and diverse". Lots of heavy-riffing and crazy licks/variations. And a divine solo like Laiho hadn't given us for years, that's clearly the strongest element of the song.

Reactions: Woffer and COB-666
Payback's a Bitch is insane. Song structure and riffing is quite different from what I'm used to. The Dissection cover isn't drastically different from the original but is respectable and great.

Reactions: COB-666
i gotta say, Laiho got back on point with his interludes. Starting back up from hexed he had some killer segways and interludes in most songs on that album. I feel he had lost that a bit over the last few albums bloodrunk through IWC, not that he didnt have any some were still amazing but just not as many good ones. But damn he was really getting back on point. I love his interludes, they always add that extra dimension.

Payback's A Bitch: Yeah, a little bit "confused". Maybe " Paint The Sky..." is better for me, for now. The second half of the song is better, perhaps. It must be heard several times.
Where Dead Angels Lie (Dissection Cover): It's not bad, good, but I don't listened to Dissection. : P

Reactions: Sany
Dissection is pretty much my favorite band and this cover does it justice! I think it's the best cover Alexi ever did maybe. Fuck sakes, mixed emotions listening to this. The full album would have ripped.

My TLDR review:

I like the PTSWB, many HOB-like parts, new Bodom style but from the better ones.
Pay Back's a Bitch, thrashy, less melodic, sounds like a new era Bodom song from RRF, IWC, Hexed.
WDAL, If you like the original, then you will like this one too. Decent cover with little own approaches here and there but nothing surprising.

My TLDR review:

I like the PTSWB, many HOB-like parts, new Bodom style but from the better ones.
Pay Back's a Bitch, thrashy, less melodic, sounds like a new era Bodom song from RRF, IWC, Hexed.
WDAL, If you like the original, then you will like this one too. Decent cover with little own approaches here and there but nothing surprising.

I think, first part of the "Pay Back's a Bitch" similar to ~IWC maybe (but the start is strong, like PTSWB), but the second part (01:30-) has some older albums vibes.

Reactions: Woffer
I just realized the intro riff to Payback's a Bitch sounds VERY similar to the intro riff from "Lycanthrope" which Alexi co-wrote with Marty Friedman for Friedman's solo album "Inferno".

Reactions: Woffer
Here's what I guessed for the lyrics so far after playing this song all evening long. Some parts are most definitely wrong, only part I am 100 percent sure on is the first half of Verse 2.

[Intro]
Go!
3, 2, 1!

[Verse 1]
What did you do when I was blind?
Give up my soul, I read my mind
Trust your kind

Fall in my playground, pillage and plunder
Bitch turn me on, you're going under
Eugh
And it makes you wonder how did the story go

[Verse 2]