The Night and the Silent Water

SacredReich said:
I went through a TNATSW phase too, I'm over it now though. Mikael hates it.

Nectar is one of the most badass Opeth songs ever.

yeah well, mikael likes deliverance, gr and damnation, so his opinion on the matter doesn't really hold all that much sway.

Morningrise = elite.

SacredReich said:

Do you think more people would like this song if Mikael didn't dislike it?
This is one of my favorites. Listen to this after Dirge for November.

"Morningrise" is the masterpiece!

Is it just me or does 50% of all TNATSW-haters seem to hate it because Mike do? That's fanboyism. I wasn't hinting to anyone special, though, so don't feel offended if you know you really hate it.

TNATSW is my favorite song off of Morningrise, hands down. This one has more black metal-ish twin guitar influence in the electric parts than any other of their songs. It mad me sad to find out what the song was about though...

Kenneth R. said:
he doesn't hate the song, it's just too personal.
That's what I think too. Its not the kind of song I would like to hear live anyway. The only song off Morningrise that would work live is Advent.

Its interesting that a song that doesn't interest me much at home can be my favorite performance live (The Grand Conjuration.) and vice-versa.

I don't care if GR is a million times more polished, mature or whatever, I still love Morningrise and it's my favorite Opeth album. TNATSW is a beautiful song, I don't see how anyone could deny the beauty of that acoustic part at 2:50 and the vocals that follow.

Kenneth R. said:
he doesn't hate the song, it's just too personal.

Well he did say he doesn't want to play it ever again, and that there was a time where it meant something to him, but now he's moved past it.

SacredReich said:

Well if Mikael hates it we'd better hate it too!!!

The Night and The Silent Water is the quintessential Opeth track off the quintessential Opeth album. I'm glad I'm not alone in my opinion, which is of course correct.

in limbow said:
I don't care if GR is a million times more polished, mature or whatever, I still love Morningrise and it's my favorite Opeth album. TNATSW is a beautiful song, I don't see how anyone could deny the beauty of that acoustic part at 2:50 and the vocals that follow.

that part is my favourite... the acoustic sounds so beautiful!

SacredReich said:
Well he did say he doesn't want to play it ever again, and that there was a time where it meant something to him, but now he's moved past it.

thats the best thing about music i reckon, when it means so much to someone. thats the main thing ihate about all todays pop and shit... no meaning at all. they just trundle out records for money. but when it means/meant so much like TNATSW obviously meant to mikael, then its countless times better.

*sorry double post:confused:

Yeah, it's definitely a song full of feeling, and that's what I love about it. The music compliments the lyrics and emotions that would be associated with losing his grandfather beautifully.