THE Octave Song

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
I challenge anyone to find me an Opeth song that has more use of octave chords and 3-in-one powerchords than the ultimately heavy Demon of the Fall.

I mean shit, they even used a 12 string on the acoustic interlude to get more octaves happening... and how's about that 2nd riff? It's ultimate octave harmony. Shit they even overdubbed his voice so much that it sounds like its in octaves. Metal.

Moonlapse said:
I challenge anyone to find me an Opeth song that has more use of octave chords and 3-in-one powerchords than the ultimately heavy Demon of the Fall.

I mean shit, they even used a 12 string on the acoustic interlude to get more octaves happening... and how's about that 2nd riff? It's ultimate octave harmony. Shit they even overdubbed his voice so much that it sounds like its in octaves. Metal.
very metal

more metal that you can shake a stick at?

I mean like

G-9
D-7
A-0
D-0

Which is basically 2 powerchords and an octave... I know, yes, this chord doesn't exist in the song, but they do use some pretty funky ones.. such as...

G-7
D-x
A-5
D-0

(The opening riff chord... how can you not love it... 2 octaves in one chord)

D-7
A-5
D-5

(In the 'Run Away' riff... 2 powerchords...)

I mean the song is just full of these.. its awesome.

Sullen Jester said:
I prefer fredrik thordendal's chords:

3: 7 9
4: 5 7
5: 5 7
6: 3 5

But Dirge for November has some cool chords.
Mm.. chords.

Well, that's just a standard power chord with the extra fifth added an octave above. Even Guns'n'Roses use that! But if you dig cool chordage, try some new Enslaved. They take the beauty of twistedness to a new level.

As for the Opeth three-in-one chord, I don;'t think I've ever heard it. I guess you could say they've used two-in-one's on Demon, but that's about it. It's sounds huge, and amazing as far as I'm concerned. Death did it quite a bit on TSOP, and I've noticed Farmakon used it in Mist, and maybe more. I use it a lot in my own tunes, it's like an addiction.... :Spin: