The Official Art Thread

deatheclipsed

Has a large member
Take a chance to show off some of your stuff. Discuss art or artists you like or anything associated with art. Or anything you think we would be interested in artwise.

Artists I like:

Brom, Christopher Shy, Beet, Rebecca Guay, William O'conner, Caravaggio, Raphael, MIchelangelo, DaVinci, Nerdrum, etc.

Art I like:
Anything classical or ancient, or any modern movements that look classical or ancient, Fantasy art, Earthworks/Land Art and a handful of hodge-podge pieces of art or artists.

What about You?

Also check out my site below...

I'm not into art in any way, but there are some things I really like.

First example: Dalí
The picture "swans reflecting elephants" is awesome. Just one example for the interesting art this man created.

Second example: landscape photographs
I really love pictures showing landscapes, especially places like Scotland, Ireland, Scandinavia etc.

Third example: booklets
There are great drawings/ photographs on many booklets. I would like to mention especially Iron Maiden's "Somewhere in Time", with all its hints to the bands' history. Also great is - to my mind - the cover of IV (Led Zeppelin).

Good call, there are a lot of great cd inserts. And landscape photos also peak my interests and and namely the places you listed.

Though I don't care for Dali so much I give him respect because he pioneered a movement. I like a lot of modern art philosophies just not the art that accompanies them.

I really like salvador dali's art and films. Can anyone explain that one with the long legged elephant, where there's a tiger jumping out of a piece of fruit, jumping out of another tigers mouth on to a gun which is pointed at a woman? Apparently the woman, who is naked, is supposed to appear under a cloth if you stare at it long enough. I can't see it.

edvard munch.
John Everett Millais-ophelia drowns. The most beautiful painting in the universe.

millais.jpg

@KC: Maybe it's supposed to appear like that only if you stare long enough at the original? Or, how much exactly is "long enough"? :p

As for the meaning, the title i found for it "Dream caused by the flight of a bee" pretty much explains everything. And if you notice there is a bee (or smt) flying near a fruit (and the fish jumps out of a fruit).

Skinnybone that is an excellent painting!

As far as the Dali stuff, He was part of the DaDa movement which depending on the language means a million differeent things. The movement itself was intended to wake people from their post war complacency and to make them think and feel again. Dali's work more specifically deals a lot with dreams, many of those deal with sexuality, masturbation, and homoeroticism.

A.T. Fomenko is one of my favorite artists. he's actually a russian mathmatician, has written and coauthored many books about topology, objects with moebius surfaces and the like. i know nothing about math, but his art is AMAZING. he has one book that's a collection of just the art, mostly ink and pencil, but some paintings. in the intro it says how when he gets into deep mathmatical investigations, he'll sometimes go into these worlds of topological imagry, and the art is what he tries to bring back. the book is well worth the money if you can afford it. some of his other pieces are buried in his math books. some images here:

http://www.mathe.tu-freiberg.de/~hebisch/cafe/fomenko/fomenko.html

also i would be remiss if i didn't mention Dave McKean, Tommy Lee Edwards, and John Van Fleet. i got a deviantart account but i dont like it anymore so when i get around to making my own site i'll let you know.

@skinnybone - just saw the painting u posted 10 days ago - GREAT. I love preraphaelite painting too...

Anyway, who would be the greatest artist of every time and place - dunno... Raphael maybe ?

DGR you are my hero, aside from more contemporary painters who currently hold my 'at the moment top spots,' Raphael is my favorite painter of all time. He would sneek around to look at other peoples art just to take their style and perfect it in his own work. He was the chameleon of painting, and a ladies man.

Also check out Carravaggio, he was a kick ass painter who took after DaVinci. He murdered someone in a soccer (futbol, Football) riot, went to prison escaped from prison and lived alone on an island and painted his whole life. A true Bad Ass!

deatheclipsed said:
Also check out Carravaggio, he was a kick ass painter who took after DaVinci. He murdered someone in a soccer (futbol, Football) riot, went to prison escaped from prison and lived alone on an island and painted his whole life. A true Bad Ass!

Whey, he sounds cool.

I have a question - How do you satisfy your urge as aconsumer to posess the art you admire? I mean, I have an art shop that sells a really narrow selection of prints for a reasonible price, but I've never seen anything worth owning. I've seen some pretty cool books though which are filled with the works with a limited commentary on each piece, but I can't hang a page from the book on my wall. Do you just visit galleries or something?

personally i dont feel the need to be a collector. there are so many things that can be considered art and so many things that are inspiring, that having a complete archive is next to impossible. i like to think that art inspires you in the moment you are looking at it, and the effect will somehow linger. that the emotion and mind's eye image is more important than the physical replication that you could own. not that you can't go back and look at it again.

the only thing i really invest in is comic books cause they're relatively cheap, and still it's only if i really appreciate the artists or writer. on my walls is just the free stuff, basically all band posters.

i don't go to galleries but i did go to i think the princeton university art museum, and they had a huge collection with lots of famous painters. there was that Monet one with the bridge over the water, behind bulletproof glass or whatever. wow i was really surprised to see it just hanging there with everything else, so i get up close to see the texture and technique. then the security person comes up and tells me to "step back from the painting" like they had caught me robbing a bank or something. she goes on to say that you're supposed to look at the painting from a distance... ok now you're telling me how to look at art? like i was giving off a negative auric infuence to the thing behind the vacuum sealed box, maybe it was just the way i look being targeted as a painting terrorist. i know they do this with famous stuff, but it still pissed me off.

needless to say i've been more than a bit disillusioned about the things hanging in galleries and museums since then. i think there's a lot of poorly done art that is treated like it's something special (not referring to the Monet). but just the fact that something's hanging on a wall or is in a book doesnt mean it's worth any more than the canvas or paper it's on. art in physical form is only precious in being able to effect/inspire you.

well, personally what I enjoy the most (when dealing about art) is visiting galleries... I read lots of art history books too, to see "what's behind the paintings" - actually that is the only kind of books I read, apart poetry ;)

@deatheclipsed - I love Caravaggio too. there has been an exibition on his "final years" at the National Gallery in Lodon - simply astonishing.

and actually my walls are filled with band posters too, alongside my own drawings - pure crap, but I've made them, so... :D

In recent time i have found that the art I do not enjoy looking at usually has a very in depth and interetsing philosophy. Most modern etc. stuff doesn't inspire any art in me but when I read the ideas behind them I get ideas.

Art is a cyclic thing just as any other part of life. People attend school and are forced to do thingsa certain way to learn wht their instructors want them to. When they get ouot they rebel against the doctrine and come to their own ideas. Then some of those people teach and then the cycle starts again.

As far as viewing art there is a standard of 3-5 feet distance b/w you and the piece to get an overall feel for the art but you cannot appreciate the details that define the piece ie; brush stroke, layering, thickness of paint, type of surface etc unless you get close. Certain paintings have been stolen before but what you can do is look from afar at one piece and then maybe get closer to another, less important piece, by that artist to see the technique.

I have only bought one piece of art and it was bt Rebecca Guay, she does a lot of work for White Wolf publishing, I spent $60.00 on a sketch. I cannot afford originals and sometimes not even the prints, besides I am a frelance Illustrator who is trying to make a living and a name, so why buy a ton of others work? You can check out my work at the address below.