The official DOD thread

Soul of a new Machine

I share the discovery!
Mar 2, 2002
Quebec
www.supercrossquebec.com
Discuss the album here. I am listening to it. I like it. Until I know every song by heart and can play them right on my guitar I won't start to describe and compare, but I really like it overall.

What are your favorites? Complain?

Rainmaker hit the right spot, a very good song. I also like No more lies. I don't remember what the other sound like properly to discuss them for now.

:D

I only bought the album 30 minutes ago, so I can't give a very good idea at the moment. I'm on Montségur right now, which is a great track. Rainmaker was good too. For first listen, a lot sticks to memory. Mine's copy protected... so I'm wondering... is it just me, or is there a constant fuzz in the background?

DOD was much better than I expected.

The title track is a masterpiece-one of Maiden's best songs.

The guitar solo in No More Lies is one of Maiden's best.

Montségur and New Frontier absolutely rock and show innovative new ideas.

Wildest Dreams and Rainmaker are both great catchy short songs.

The last 2 on the album are slow Ballads and a nice finish to such a good album.

Overall the album rocks, is one of Maiden's best album and has a few classic songs to be.

My only criticism's of this album are Bruce's voice and the Bass.

Bruce's voice sounds a bit tired. Maybe it's time for a new vocalist, afterall Bruce wasn't an original Maiden member.

And the Bass in this album was just good, it had nothing new and there were no Bass solos.

without going into detail until I've listened a few more times - overall I like it, tho there's a couple of filler tracks.

BTW mine's playing on PC right now so I'm guessing it's not copy protected (bought from ASDA FYI)

DoReMi said:
Bruce's voice sounds kinda tired too at times.

agreed - almost seems like he's reverted back to how he sounded on NPFTD and FoD, maybe he had a cold during recording or it's just bad production cos he doesn't normally sound that strained!

I just finished listening to DOD for the first time, and here are my first impressions:

- Wildest Dreams is a terrible opener. Brings new meaning to the word formulaic.
- Rainmaker isn't much better...at least there is better guitar work and a less obvious chorus here.
- No More Lies kicks ass. Sure, the chorus is repetitive, but this is fueled by the same drive that has led to many a Maiden classic. And the solo section is great.
- Montsegur has one of the best riffs on the album, reminding me of the Powerslave days a bit.
- Dance Of Death has grown on me since first hearing it...I still find it overlong, but this has a good buildup to it and I like the guitar work a lot.
- Gates Of Tomorrow took me for surprise with its intro, and it was great being able to clearly hear three guitars in the verses for once...too bad it isn't repeated. The remainder of it is average.
- New Frontier shows why Nicko doesn't get too many writing credits...the song sounds anything but new. And the bass is a bit too high up on this one...normally not a problem, but here it gets distracting.
- Paschendale: Epic Maiden is the best Maiden. Bruce delivers his finest performance of the album here, and Kevin's production succeeds in making the song sound gigantic. Great instrumental break, the riffs and chorus strike a chord with the listener, and I love the quite breaks.
- Face In The Sand is another one of my favorites, despite its odd-for-Maiden rhythm...and for once the intro actually builds tension rather than just sounding slapped on. Bruce also sounds at the top of his game here.
- Age Of Innocence: I'll keep things brief here: Great riff, terrible chorus.
- Journeyman: I have nothing against the idea of Maiden doing an all-acoustic song, but I found this to be boring to an uncomfortable extreme. And the strings sound processed and hollow.

Caroline said:
agreed - almost seems like he's reverted back to how he sounded on NPFTD and FoD, maybe he had a cold during recording or it's just bad production cos he doesn't normally sound that strained!
Not bad production - shithouse production!!!
Even an average singer can be made to sound like a powerhouse with the equipment that is available in any modern studio today.........if Bruce was sitting round your table singing with a couple of guys with guitars he'd blow your head off!!

Once I found out Shirley produced 'Falling into Infinity' it all fell into place.......he has this shitty, over-compressed vocal sound he seems to like......it was there on BNW, even worse on this abortion of an album.

Dance of Death is the best since 7th Son, but that isn't saying much.

No Prayer=shit
Fear of the Dark=slightly less smelly shit
The X Factor=terrible smelling troll shit
Virtual XI= worst Maiden album of all time. It's not Blaze , I blame the whole band.
Brave New World=only seemed good at the time because the 4 albums before it sucked so bad. Still, it's an above average Metal album.

Dance of Death=some inspired songs with some commercial attempts(if radio stations still liked 80s rock that is) and 1 or 2 filler tracks.Overall, good Maiden album that just hints at the golden era magic.

Bruce's voice isn't as tired as people make it out to be. For one, on the title track and Gates of Tomorrow, Bruce really reaches for some notes; If you go back through Maiden's catalogue and pay attention, you'll notice these are some of the highest notes Bruce has tried to sing since he destroyed his voice on the World Slavery Tour (before that, there wasn't much he couldn't do). I don't think he sounds any more tired or strained than on Somewhere In Time or Seventh Son...his voice is more raspy, yeah, plus back then he was drowned in effects, not to mention he had a different singing technique and style than now. And, I might add, it sounds like Bruce did most of these vocals in long or single takes, and not punching in when his voice is best prepared to sing a line or two. So you get a rawer, live perforfance feel.

It *may* be possible his age is catching up with him, but I personally think that's highly unlikely after the incredible performances I saw in Dallas and Houston, considering those were after recording, so....nah.

His voice is just sounding older. You think they're gonna fire him for getting old?

Nightwing said:
Once I found out Shirley produced 'Falling into Infinity' it all fell into place.......he has this shitty, over-compressed vocal sound he seems to like......it was there on BNW, even worse on this abortion of an album.

Yet Kevin also produced SFAM, which is the best *sounding* DT album bar Awake.

However, Montsegur is compressed to fuck, which really sounds bad.

The Bruce voice thing is odd, as he sounds fine in stuff like Rainmaker, but awful on the Title Track, which leads me to believe it was deliberate. Which only leaves the question: why the fuck??

Prowler121 said:
Dance of Death is the best since 7th Son, but that isn't saying much.

No Prayer=shit
Fear of the Dark=slightly less smelly shit
The X Factor=terrible smelling troll shit
Virtual XI= worst Maiden album of all time. It's not Blaze , I blame the whole band.
Brave New World=only seemed good at the time because the 4 albums before it sucked so bad. Still, it's an above average Metal album.

Dance of Death=some inspired songs with some commercial attempts(if radio stations still liked 80s rock that is) and 1 or 2 filler tracks.Overall, good Maiden album that just hints at the golden era magic.
No Prayer-shit except The Assasin and Mother Russia which are quite catchy songs.=3/10
Fear Of The Dark-Catchy and different=4/10
The X Factor-Great album, shows a different darker side to Maiden=9/10
Virtual XI-Same as what you said=0/10
Brave New World-Same as you=6/10