The Official First Impressions/Updates/Reviews of this year's ProgPower

AngraRULES

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
Alright guys, those of us who couldn't make it are eager to know how things are going. Please post your updates and immediate reviews/impressions here. Can't wait to read what you all have to say!

Unfortunately, my bad ankle will only let me withstand about 1 set worth of music so I missed Seven Kingdoms and Vangough which sucks because I know I would have really enjoyed Seven Kingdoms.

I want to thank Nathan for bringing Ross The Boss to Progpower because after seeing them tonight I can say that Ross The Boss KILLS!!! The announcement of Ross The Boss is what made me decide to attend ProgPower this year and they did not disappoint. The new songs for the upcoming album sounded good and hearing those Manowar classics played on the guitar like they are suppose to be was great to finally hear. It made me realize how much I miss hearing those songs especially live. They played "Death Tone", "Gloves Of Metal", "Shell Shock", "Kill With Power", "Blood Of My Enemies", "Fighting The World", "Hail And Kill", "Battle Hymn" and some others I can't quite remember off the top of my head. If the rest of the festival is like this its going to be really awesome and I may not be able to walk afterwards.

Unfortunately, my bad ankle will only let me withstand about 1 set worth of music so I missed Seven Kingdoms and Vangough which sucks because I know I would have really enjoyed Seven Kingdoms.

I want to thank Nathan for bringing Ross The Boss to Progpower because after seeing them tonight I can say that Ross The Boss KILLS!!! The announcement of Ross The Boss is what made me decide to attend ProgPower this year and they did not disappoint. The new songs for the upcoming album sounded good and hearing those Manowar classics played on the guitar like they are suppose to be was great to finally hear. It made me realize how much I miss hearing those songs especially live. They played "Death Tone", "Gloves Of Metal", "Shell Shock", "Kill With Power", "Blood Of My Enemies", "Fighting The World", "Hail And Kill", "Battle Hyms" and some others I can't quite remember off the top of my head. If the rest of the festival is like this its going to be really awesome and I may not be able to walk afterwards.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I'm very jealous. This was the first year I was interested in every evening, but unfortunately the cards did not play in my favor. How is the Loft btw? I've never been up there.

The Loft is your basic standing room only (for the most part) type of club with a small stage but I would say a slightly bigger stage than what was previously used in the Vinyl for the early festivities. It was my second time to the Loft. Last time I saw Midnite and Circle II Circle at the Loft for ProgPower 9.

Not as many people there tonight as I've seen previously which I mostly attribute to the economy.

Ross the Boss having gas issues
IMG_5318.jpg

and

IMG_5340a.jpg

Have to buy Glen a drink for letting us bring our cameras this year
:headbang::kickass:

The first night was good, real fun. Seven Kingdoms had tons of energy. Great musicianship, great show. The sings was real petite which surprised me because of how powerful voice is, and she pulled that stuff off. Vangouh was very enjoy able, lot of passion on stage. Their set was much more fun than i thought it would be. And Ross the Boos, well i didnt stick around for Ross the Boss because I am 25 and I wouldnt know a Manowar song it it came up and kicked me in the balls.:heh:

I liked Vangough, though the singer's voice was off. My friend Phil really liked them. Met-Al was somewhat disappointed, though he really liked the musicianship.

We all had a good time talking with hoodaman and Gorillaboy. :)

well i didnt stick around for Ross the Boss because I am 25 and I wouldnt know a Manowar song it it came up and kicked me in the balls.:heh:

That is funny you say that.
Whenever I talk to younger metal fans, the usual response when discussing Manowar is that they either don't like them, never heard them, or didn't even know they were a metal band.

There definitely seems to be something about Manowar where the appeal does not translate to the younger audience.

I find this odd, as I would think their album covers and lyrical content would indeed appeal to younger fans, but from my experience, it seems like it doesn't.

sounds like Ross the Boss was fun. As a huge Manowar fan though, I would have a hard time hearing someone other than Eric Adams singing them live, esp considering he is still the active frontman for Manowar.

Really enjoyed Vangough and Ross the Boss. Didn't catch any of Seven Kingdoms. Ross is a really great guy and it was a pleasure to chat with him.

Not a huge crowd but there were far more than I expected, so that was great!

Saw drunk people already. :lol:

Showcase/kick off badge looks awesome!

Missing a lot of important faces in the crowd :(

That is funny you say that.
Whenever I talk to younger metal fans, the usual response when discussing Manowar is that they either don't like them, never heard them, or didn't even know they were a metal band.

There definitely seems to be something about Manowar where the appeal does not translate to the younger audience.

I find this odd, as I would think their album covers and lyrical content would indeed appeal to younger fans, but from my experience, it seems like it doesn't.
I think their lack of effort in promoting themselves domestically plays a part in that. I know it's really easy for them to go over to Europe and make a metric shit-ton more money than they'll make doing a tour here, but it will generally result in fewer people being turned on to them and therefore, their fanbase as a whole will grow older without younger fans coming in to balance.

this may be the best year picking up my set of gold badges yet!!!!

Also, congrats again to Glenn and Jen on the beautiful blue PP shirts. Best shirts for the festival yet.....

Holy fuck Leprous are one of the best live bands I've ever seen! Incredible energy. Borealis kicked ass too! Didn't care much for Six Minute Century there just another power metal band doing their thing. Nothing I haven't heard done better.

Six Minute Century - I was not to impressed at first, but they grew on me, and I really ended up liking their set. Not the biggest fan of the vocals, but the music was great.

Borealis - owned period

Leprous - this has been the surprise of the weekend for me. First off they were the best dressed band so far. They were great, flat out fun and amazing. Much Much MUCH better than they are on the album I was not looking forward to their set at all, and it might just be one of the best of the fest.

was I the only one that thought their bass player looked like one of the blue dudes off Avatar?

Accept - didnt stick around for Accept, because I am a 25 and I wouldnt know an Accept song if it walked up and kicked me in the balls.......to the wall:heh:

Accept - didnt stick around for Accept, because I am a 25 and I wouldnt know an Accept song if it walked up and kicked me in the balls.......to the wall:heh:

I've already seen a number of quotes like this from people about bands that did play this year so far. I've never understood this. I mean if you don't like a band, I understand not sticking around, but if you don't know anything from them, you might as well give them a shot for at least a couple songs or so. Progpower especially is all about being surprised by bands you didn't expect to. Just my 2 cents.

I've already seen a number of quotes like this from people about bands that did play this year so far. I've never understood this. I mean if you don't like a band, I understand not sticking around, but if you don't know anything from them, you might as well give them a shot for at least a couple songs or so. Progpower especially is all about being surprised by bands you didn't expect to. Just my 2 cents.

Dude I headed back the the hotel and watched the Auburn game, I checked out all the bands before the fest. yalls gots to learn to not take me so serious:heh:

Accept slayed....one of the best live bands to have EVER played Progpower PERIOD!!!!