The Official Kalmah Sound Thread

Feel_The_Force

Thrash 'Til Death!!
Aug 7, 2005
England
Right there are many threads on this and everyone wants to know and i think i have cracked it!

Antti used:

1) Line 6 AX212
2) Custom Jackson Soloist (Lightning Sky Orange)
- Alder body
- Maple neck
- Stock Jackson pickups (h-s-s) (not typical jackson p/u's, very dark sounding according to Antti)

Antti now uses:
1) Peavey JSX & Laney
2) Custom Amfisound Routa guitar
- Alder body
- Maple through neck
- 24 frets
- Ebony fingerboard
- Neck p/u: Seymour Duncan Jazz
- Bridge p/u: Seymour Duncan Dimebucker

Pekka Used:
1) Randall Amp
2) Jackson Professional FX guitar
- Alder body
- Maple neck
- Stock Jackson pickups (h-s-s)

Pekka now uses:
1) Peavey JSX & Laney
2) Custom Amfisound Super Strat
- Alder body
- Maple through neck
- 24 frets
- Ebony fingerboard
- Neck p/u: Seymour Duncan Jazz
- Bridge p/u: EMG-HZ

Most of the recording is done with the Line 6 AX212 i believe, also live they use Marshall heads, usually the Marshall DSL 100 head as it is expensive to take their own equiptment.

If you don't have any of this you can get a Kalmah sound. To acheive this unique sound, turn your bass to 10, your mids very low, treble to 10, gain to 10.
On my amp that sounds like a very Kalmah tone.

Hope this helps. Tell me if i am right or wrong!

Reactions: Hadesbreeder
Nowadays Antti, and Pekka probaly too, uses Mesa/Boogies head. I am pretty sure of that and as amps on The Black Waltz they recorded the guitars with "kunnon perinteisillä putkivehkeillä" which is with good old pipe stuff. I don't now how to translate:/

Kalmah said:
Actually on Black Waltz most of the guitars are recorded with Peavey JSX and Laney. And if there is any interested buyers that really can get hold of the sound I use, I might sell my AX212...

Cool, i ordered a Laney GH50L a few days ago, what model Laney is it? Also what cabs? And who uses the Peavey and who uses the Laney?

If you can't read finnish: Antti said that the other head was a Randall and the other was a Mesa/Boogie (at Nosturi gig)which was borrowed from a friend. The Line6 was to be fixed. So aparently they use still the Line6

Kalmah said:
Actually on Black Waltz most of the guitars are recorded with Peavey JSX and Laney. And if there is any interested buyers that really can get hold of the sound I use, I might sell my AX212...

There you go, i quoted it for you. Scroll up in the thread!

I'll buy the AX212!
*Antti said that the Jackson pickups have more like a dark acoustic sound
I wanna know what did they use to record the album (recording equipment not amps .. etc)

How much does that AX212 costs anyway? I know that I don't have afford it, just curious.. Antti would you sell your jackson?:D

did anyone try the duncans combination?
Neck: Seymour Duncan Jazz
Bridge: Seymour Duncan Dimebucker

I'm used to EMG-81s and I got that on my new ESP custom guitar but I want to try a new thing on my next Jackson custom guitar. Any idea of what would they sound like? (I know some of you might say, obviously Kalmah. But I need to make sure that I'm not paying just to get Kalmah sound and not being able to play other shit)

Dimebucker makes u sound like dime :lol:

Seriously though it is a high output humbucker, should be used primarily for any heavy/death metal kinda stuff. The Jazz is great for soloing and cleans.