The official metal 2012 thread

Considering how mediocre most of Darkthrone's post-Panzerfaust black metal albums are, I hope they stay with the black n' roll style. Sure it's not the deepest stuff, but at least it's entertaining and memorable. Can't say that about albums like Total Death, Hate Them etc.

Sure it's not the deepest stuff, but at least it's entertaining and memorable. Can't say that about albums like Total Death, Hate Them etc.

It's amusing how strongly I disagree with this.

I generally just assume that people who criticize post-Panzerfaust Darkthrone albums, at least up through The Cult Is Alive just haven't heard them or are expecting to hear something different than what they get.

I generally just assume that people who criticize post-Panzerfaust Darkthrone albums, at least up through The Cult Is Alive just haven't heard them or are expecting to hear something different than what they get.

I've heard them all. I think Ravaging Grimness is a solid album, and on most of the other albums there's few tracks that standout, but on the whole I find their sound became ever-more predictable and stale during that time period.

You don't like DT that doesn't sound like it was recording in the woods on a tape recorder in a metal trashcan?

It's not like I don't like their later stuff. I don't really have an opinion on it as I haven't heard those albums in their entirety. The samples I've listened to sounded okay. It's just that when I turn on Transilvanian Hunger, I want to hear more when it ends. A Blaze In The Northern Sky and Under A Funeral Moon don't do anything for me at all. Panzerfaust is good but it's not Transilvanian Hunger. Never bothered with anything else. :erk:

Also, TH's production is great.

Ne Obliviscaris - Portal of I
Extreme Progressive Metal
Welkin Records

Release dates
AU: 07.05.12

Tracklist
01. Tapestry Of The Starless Abstract
02. Xenoflux
03. Of The Leper Butterflies
04. Forget Not
05. And Plague Flowers The Kaleidoscope
06. As Icicles Fall
07. Of Petrichor Weaves Black Noise

Ne-Obliviscaris-Portal-of-I-e1323795407947.jpg

Ne Obliviscaris - Portal of I
Extreme Progressive Metal
Welkin Records

Release dates
AU: 07.05.12

Tracklist
01. Tapestry Of The Starless Abstract
02. Xenoflux
03. Of The Leper Butterflies
04. Forget Not
05. And Plague Flowers The Kaleidoscope
06. As Icicles Fall
07. Of Petrichor Weaves Black Noise

Ne-Obliviscaris-Portal-of-I-e1323795407947.jpg

YES!!! Love this band. Their demo was amazing.

Wow, listen to this;

Last edited by a moderator:

True, people tend to overlook those albums for some reason I just can't explain. I've always seen stuff like Ravishing Grimness, Hate Them, Sardonic Wrath and The Cult is Alive as great albums.

The new Burzum album looks exciting! Can't wait for that one, I think he's really starting to come into his own as a musician and not just a band from the original bm scene in Norway.

It's alright. Will most likely fall behind other albums of a similar nature in my listening after the first month here or so. Some good ideas that are wallowed on too long, etc etc.

Actually it has leaked, there's tracks popping up here and there on youtube but some of them are being taken down I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the Burzum has leaked like three days back and it's absolute garbage. It's the most dull and boring record I have heard in ages. It takes him 60 minutes to tell some Icelandic stories over some recyclated riffs that just repeat for the whole song. The sound is weak, the riffs are weak, his voice is weak and there's no reason whatsoever to listen to it more than one time and not delete it. I sincerely hope that people will see through the "BURZUM" name on the cover and realize that this is just really bad. Hardly even black metal too.

Per usual Onder's statement is an exaggeration(even if he feels otherwise). However the album doesn't tread above 6-7 out of 10 terrain.

^ My point is that I see why people return to Belus/Fallen and listen to it again and again, but not this. There is nothing ineresting in this. I just hope that MA ratings won't get above 50%, otherwise I'll immolate myself in public. It's curious enough that Fallen has the same rating as Belus even when it's CLEARLY worse.