The Official NBA Thread

Hubster

Oct 29, 2003
Bondi Australia
While I did find this thread, other than renaming it, I thought it would be a good idea to have an official NBA thread, not just for a specific year as the other thread suggests. (Mods please merge it with this thread if you think its a good idea).

So - as I write, it's July 2009 and imo, the NBA is heading back to a level not seen since the Jordan era. Plenty of interesting characters, thankfully the most of the gangsta culture is gone and players seem to be concentrating on the sport more again (I'm sure there's some who disagree, but compare it to the early 2000's when Iverson was dominating the league, gangsta culture was infecting the NBA like no tomorrow).

Lakers: will they repeat in the 2009-10 season as champs? I think so. The addition of Artest is a great move, and if Bynum fixes his chickenshit outfit up and gets some game back, the Lakers will definitely own the rest of the League. Mind you, they won without Bynum being much of a factor, and let's face it, Gasol is an EXTREMELY talented player, imo very under-rated. That guy is one of the most talented centres since David Robinson. His game is filled with colour and endless possibilities. I want to see the relationship between Gasol and Bryant take a step up, they did some fucking cool stuff in the Finals, but I think they have much more room to develop as a deadly duo.

Cavs: sorry, but Shaq or no Shaq, without someone at PG or SF who can back up LeBron as a scorer when the playoffs come and the pressure begins, I just don't see them being a Finals factor. Keeping Anderson Varejão was a fucking dumb mistake, they could have freed cap space to get someone who can actually PLAY. I can't remember the last time I watched a game when Varejão hit a basket. He's a hopeless addition to the CAVs. Mo Williams needs to pull his head out of his ass and step up. He needs to establish his own identity and stop kissing LeBuns. Talented, yes, but thats not enough. Maybe his maturity will step up this season, who knows? Back to Shaq: he's just strong really, thats about it. Yeah, he can pass. But I still think the Cav's will still be a one man show this season. The months coming will tell how wrong I could be...

Celtics: I would love to see a Lakers/Celtics rematch, I love both teams equally. Garnett in the latter years of his career has developed into a VERY special player imo. That guy is the shit. I hope he's healthy this year following that surgery a few months back, because if he is, and Rondo balances out his issues, the Celtics will be a force to be reckoned with, even despite their age. I love Perkins as a middle man, he's arrogant and strong and has a good deep-in-the-paint game. Allen was crusty in the playoffs, let's hope that was just a phase. And will Rasheed Wallace be much of a factor? I'd love to see them come out and torch their division.

Magic: imo Orlando hasn't had what I would call a good off-season so far. Losing Turkoglu is a massive blow imo. He had the most colourful game out of their entire roster. Gortat is gone too, and he was a great backup for Howard. Speaking of which, he needs to work HARD on his game this off-season. Imo Howard desperately needs to develop a dependable hook shot, 10-foot jumper range and a deeper post-game. I think this season's Magic is going to be in a partial rebuild phase, I don't expect them to make conference finals.

Yeah I know I haven't mentioned San Antonio. That's because I couldn't care less about them :p

Thoughts? Opinion? Let's get this thread rolling. :kickass:

One thing I hated during the playoffs was the constant bullshit calls in favor of Lebron. The refs practically hang off of his nuts all gone. If Lebron falls over, it must be a fall, there is no way he fell over on his own. If he misses a shot, it must be a foul.

If he rams right into someone who had position, it must be a foul....

Can't fucking stand it.

I've definitely noticed the issues with refs during the Playoffs. For example the amount of technical fouls called and flagrants. Absolutely insane. You cough on someone and its an ejection, wtf

So here we are, the second half of the 2010-11 season has begun, and boy have things changed.

- Melo and Billups to the Knicks :)kickass: !!!!)
- Deron to NJ
- Jerry Sloan retires (due to dickhead in above point)
- Perkins to OKC (Ainge are you out of your mind?! Perk was a cornerstone of your frontcourt!)
- CHI are now 1 win behind MIA! :kickass:
- LAL still seem to be doomed to not make it to the Finals (but I'd still love a BOS - LAL rematch).

And in the last few days... NY kick MIA's ASS!!!

28knicks_web2-articleLarge.jpg

Who else is pumped! This season is winding up to be something really awesome.

I have mixed feelings about the Celtics trading away Perkins. However, they were not going to be willing to pay Perk the contract he will be asking for...in the 50 mill range. No way!...not for a good defensive player that is a hinderance to you offensively. They made the move and got something for him now. I like what Perk brings to the table but I have always thought of him and still do as an over-rated player. You'd think they just traded the second coming of Bill Russell the way people are talking of Perk?

and free agent Troy Murphy picks Celts over Heat. Another "big"- this should help.

this was nuts the othernite!

Last edited by a moderator:
That Andrew Bogut went to the same school as i did in Australia. Is he going any good? Did see that ridiculous injury he got after dunking the ball, but that's the last i heard.

Bump indeed.

I cannot believe how the Playoffs are shaping up right now. Are we going to see DAL vs MIA in the Finals? Who the fuck wants to see that? (Although, OKC vs CHI would be better imo).

Mind you, one thing is true, I can't recall who stated this recently (was it Donnie Walsh?), but we're seeing a generation change, a changing of the guard if you will. The BOS, LA and SA legacies have come to an end. Now we have Kevin Durant, Derrick Rose, MIA's Big 3 (and yes, I hate MIA), and a host of young teams rising up. It was going to happen sooner or later.

The LAL sweep is awful though. What an awful way to go for Phil and Kobe. Even if Kobe had got number 6, it wouldn't have been equal to Mike - Mike got 6 trips to the finals and won each one. Kobe has lost twice, he can never be in the same league as the mf'ing KING.

So - who else is freaking at how this year's post season is going? And does Pau Gasol need a fucking giant eggplant shoved up his ass while being hit with a baseball bat in the temple?

Just watched the Thunder/Grizzlies game. 3OT's. I think Barkley is drunk or high or something, his postgame commentary is laughably bad.

Tough loss by the C's lastnite...now down 3-1 to the Heat. Many chances to even the series but they couldnt hit a shot at the end to save thier lives. Yeah, the changing of the guard is now in full-swing in the NBA. Not only did the Lakers get swept...they went out like a bunch of sissy's in game-4. Beyond flagrant fouls and a disgrace how they handled themselves...lol!