THE OFFICIAL STUDIO REPORT

In lieu of its arrival....to perhaps liven up the discussion about the new album....I will share a concern of mine about the direction of CM based on an interview with Michael I read (can't even remember where I found it). Essentially he was saying it was going to be "an entirely new sound", and added that he felt like the new material would "reach across to the mainstream". He also said, however, that there would still be some prog elements to be sure.

I don't want to blow that statement out of proportion.....or start a flame war....but I would be curious to hear how other CM fans view those comments. I'm a big fan, but not an apologist. I love their music entirely because it is very hard to describe.....and ironically some of my favorite songs are the more structured, relatively mellower ones like "From Childhood's Hour". I most certainly have an eclectic taste in music.....BUT....I primarily was drawn to them by the longer, more progressive sounding songs. And I guess my "concern", if you want to call it that, would be the new disc having too big of a deviation from that basis. I also really LOVE the two instrumentals and hope there is something like that on the new album as well.

I know we can't all have what we want, and I respect wherever they feel their direction should take them......but wanted to share my thoughts on the comments Michael stated. "Mainstream" could mean something different to him, but mainstream to me has a connotation of compromising musical integrity to appeal to a larger mass of potential listeners. I think their music is appealing in that regard "as is" to some extent (esp. some of the songs on Isolate).....so to say it's going to be a "completely new sound" (I'm paraphrasing to some extent) is, at least on some level, alarming. So, tell me why it shouldn't be. I understand music is a business as well as an artistic medium, but I guess I just don't want this to be like Dream Theater doing "Falling Into Infinity". I really appreciate the relative obscurity of bands like CM, Redemption, and Seventh Wonder doing fresh, but progressive sounding music. That's my selfish complaint about anything that might be a departure.

In lieu of its arrival....to perhaps liven up the discussion about the new album....I will share a concern of mine about the direction of CM based on an interview with Michael I read (can't even remember where I found it). Essentially he was saying it was going to be "an entirely new sound", and added that he felt like the new material would "reach across to the mainstream". He also said, however, that there would still be some prog elements to be sure.

I don't want to blow that statement out of proportion.....or start a flame war....but I would be curious to hear how other CM fans view those comments. I'm a big fan, but not an apologist. I love their music entirely because it is very hard to describe.....and ironically some of my favorite songs are the more structured, relatively mellower ones like "From Childhood's Hour". I most certainly have an eclectic taste in music.....BUT....I primarily was drawn to them by the longer, more progressive sounding songs. And I guess my "concern", if you want to call it that, would be the new disc having too big of a deviation from that basis. I also really LOVE the two instrumentals and hope there is something like that on the new album as well.

I know we can't all have what we want, and I respect wherever they feel their direction should take them......but wanted to share my thoughts on the comments Michael stated. "Mainstream" could mean something different to him, but mainstream to me has a connotation of compromising musical integrity to appeal to a larger mass of potential listeners. I think their music is appealing in that regard "as is" to some extent (esp. some of the songs on Isolate).....so to say it's going to be a "completely new sound" (I'm paraphrasing to some extent) is, at least on some level, alarming. So, tell me why it shouldn't be. I understand music is a business as well as an artistic medium, but I guess I just don't want this to be like Dream Theater doing "Falling Into Infinity". I really appreciate the relative obscurity of bands like CM, Redemption, and Seventh Wonder doing fresh, but progressive sounding music. That's my selfish complaint about anything that might be a departure.

yeah, you're right. If I recall correctly Mike (or Truls) talked about some "Nickelback" influences and that really scared me to the bone. A "fresh" sound is welcome but I hope the prog elements still remain.

I think it's okay to have a nice mix of influences.....even from bands that you wouldn't normally equate or even dislike. Sometimes a fresh source of inspiration can do a band good. So that in and of itself does not concern me. I think it would only bother me if it ended up being a blatant attempt at mimicking Nickelback's sound entirely. But not only do I not think that will happen, I recognize that if that is the way they want to go and they feel right about it as artists.....it doesn't really matter what I think. They may not alienate all their current fans and gain a host of new ones in the process.....who knows? I'm just saying from my standpoint, I would be very disheartened by too radical a change. Why change what is so awesome??? I know I'm not the only one that thinks that way about their two albums.....they have this very intoxicating kind of appeal musically. Obviously that is why we are in this forum and are excited about the new album.

And I'm not questioning a musical "growth" in some context or another. I like that. Isolate is quite different from 1st Chapter, but you can still identify the overlaps and the core parts that comprise their sound. I think it quite likely that will be the case with the third album as well......in spite of the possibilities of the comments coming to fruition in a way I find undesirable. I just hope it's not a gratuitous effort. Progressive fans are savvy and recognize the difference. I would still respect them if they are doing something from the heart and all of their creative instincts.....even if I didn't care for the sound. I'm just biased and like what I like. I think that's fair and feel they could appreciate such a view in kind.

I know we need to just wait and see. I don't want to jump to any conclusions.....just thought it would be good to hear some feedback from their fans. While we wait. :Spin:

As long as michael sings 10% of what he sang on The Magnificent,it doesn't matter how long is going to take to finish the album.

As long as michael sings 10% of what he sang on The Magnificent,it doesn't matter how long is going to take to finish the album.

I would agree with you (The Magnificent project is awesome, incredible songwriting and vocals) if it wasn't four years since "Isolate".

I would agree with you (The Magnificent project is awesome, incredible songwriting and vocals) if it wasn't four years since "Isolate".

Yeah,that sucks indeed.

The only way to make up to us,fans,is making a 10 minutes vocal recordings video,A'IGHT MICHAEL?

Regarding what was said earlier about CM's new influences for the new album :

I don't really understand this fear of mainstream, and I especially don't understand why prog/prog metal fans in particular tend to reject everything even lossely related to the "mainstream". Mainstream can be as prog as it gets. Someone mentioned DT's Falling Into Infinity : isn't that one HELL of a prog record ? Come on dude, "Trial Of Tears" is perhaps one of the most accomplished prog epics they ever wrote. They are way more "commercial" now that they were 15 years ago. "Forsaken", "Wither", now that's some really dumbed-down mainstream shit. But FII ? Not so much.

Plus, mainstream doesn't necessarily equal shorter, straight-forward songs. Not to mention people tend to forget how hard it is to write a good SONG, that stucks in your head and make you wanna sing the fuck along. It's way harder to come up with than random 16-bars instrumental craziness. By the way, DT's Just Let Me Breathe may be only 4 mn. long but it's still fucking brilliant.

Plus the guys in CM always had that AOR edge to their prog metal goodness, with the catchy choruses and whatnot. It seems pretty damn logic to me that they'd do a more "mainstream" record after Isolate, which, being as we know a concept album, epitomized the prog part of their music. They wanna do some short, classic tunes ? By all means, let them ! It's bound to end up awesome anyway.

Let's hear that shit before we all jump to conclusions, ladies and gents... If you really love this band, well, have faith in them :)

Both Falling into infinity and this new "Dream Theater" album (no,i'm not hating because of portnoy,couldn't care less) are one of the worst albuns i've heard in my life.

I can't believe you like my beyond twilight and circus maximus.

Plus, mainstream doesn't necessarily equal shorter, straight-forward songs. Not to mention people tend to forget how hard it is to write a good SONG, that stucks in your head and make you wanna sing the fuck along.

No,just mean passionless,soulless(in 99% of the cases),and a lot more adjs that i can't come up with right now(just woke up from my nap).

It's way harder to come up with than random 16-bars instrumental craziness. By the way, DT's Just Let Me Breathe may be only 4 mn. long but it's still fucking brilliant.

That's what "Dream Theater" is now,they come up with songs,they don't have the passion,the feeling like they were younger,they come up with songs instead of feeling them,WANTING TO EXPRESS YOURSELF via music,that's what a musician is,and that's what they are not since Awake.

Sorry for my English,is kinda crappy today.

Regarding what was said earlier about CM's new influences for the new album :

I don't really understand this fear of mainstream, and I especially don't understand why prog/prog metal fans in particular tend to reject everything even lossely related to the "mainstream". Mainstream can be as prog as it gets. Someone mentioned DT's Falling Into Infinity : isn't that one HELL of a prog record ? Come on dude, "Trial Of Tears" is perhaps one of the most accomplished prog epics they ever wrote. They are way more "commercial" now that they were 15 years ago. "Forsaken", "Wither", now that's some really dumbed-down mainstream shit. But FII ? Not so much.

Plus, mainstream doesn't necessarily equal shorter, straight-forward songs. Not to mention people tend to forget how hard it is to write a good SONG, that stucks in your head and make you wanna sing the fuck along. It's way harder to come up with than random 16-bars instrumental craziness. By the way, DT's Just Let Me Breathe may be only 4 mn. long but it's still fucking brilliant.

Plus the guys in CM always had that AOR edge to their prog metal goodness, with the catchy choruses and whatnot. It seems pretty damn logic to me that they'd do a more "mainstream" record after Isolate, which, being as we know a concept album, epitomized the prog part of their music. They wanna do some short, classic tunes ? By all means, let them ! It's bound to end up awesome anyway.

Let's hear that shit before we all jump to conclusions, ladies and gents... If you really love this band, well, have faith in them :)

It's got nothing to do with faith. It's about words used to portray a characterization of an entirely new sound. Maybe if you re-read the words I wrote you might be able to understand the difference.

I think you can have faith in a band to do something talented and worth recording.....and still have questions about the direction that might take them. If it's important to you that is. I listen to music because I think it's appealing, not because I have a blind loyalty to a band that's putting out stuff that I don't like. It's nothing personal.....it's just being discerning about what type of music you like. Nobody should have to apologize for that....even if the band might not want to hear it.

They definitely have earned the benefit of any doubt I might have about that direction......no matter how I might perceive the words Michael used. But they're his words, not mine. And they did make me take notice because of those particular words used to describe. I admit that I chose to interpret it that way.....but that's all it is. An interpretation. But if you read my words I clearly stated that I didn't want to jump to a conclusion......throwing out a question about something like that is not a conclusion. I won't form a conclusion until I listen to the album.....and even then probably not until I listen to it several times. If I didn't care, I wouldn't question.

As far as FII, I agree with you about some of the album. But I don't think Just Let Me Breathe is a brilliant song.....and it's 5:30, not 4 minutes. So I'm wondering if you are talking about the same song. I love Trial of Tears, you are right. Hell's Kitchen and Lines in the Sand are very good too (I love Dug Pinnick). And I also agree about the length of songs not always being relevant.....I like Peruvian Skies and Hollow Years too. They are long by mainstream standards, but relatively short for DT.

But the rest of the album is really lacking.....and definitely sounds more mainstream than previous material. You Not Me, Burning My Soul, Take Away My Pain, and Anna Lee. Seriously? You c'mon man. I will give you Wither and Forsaken, but I don't think there's another DT album that has as many clunkers on it as FII.

Listen, as I stated I don't really think Circus Maximus cares about the critique of one fan....or even all of them if what they are doing is what they want to do and THEY are okay with it from an integrity standpoint. I believe whatever they put out, it would be because they wanted to do it.....artistically, professionally and otherwise. And they don't need my blessing to make whatever they want. But if I didn't like it, and they continued to make music that didn't appeal to me.....even within the framework of it being talented and them being true to themselves as musicians.....I wouldn't listen to it. I would still be a fan of their earlier work and a fan of them in general, but I would still make a distinction and still be critical of whatever I didn't like. That's the nature of anything artistic. And that would be me being true to myself.

This has to be the worst f**k´n delay ever!! Why even bother to start a thread named "Official studio report" and then not update it at least once a week? Something's fishy about this! I know, if I was a member of C-M and the fans started discussing Dream theaters songs in C-M's forum out of boredom of waiting for a report, i would be slightly worried, especially when there is more than a month between posts!
I know it's standard procedure to set a release date before the actual release just to highten anticipation, but this is geting ridiculous - I give up!

This has to be the worst f**k´n delay ever!! Why even bother to start a thread named "Official studio report" and then not update it at least once a week? Something's fishy about this! I know, if I was a member of C-M and the fans started discussing Dream theaters songs in C-M's forum out of boredom of waiting for a report, i would be slightly worried, especially when there is more than a month between posts!
I know it's standard procedure to set a release date before the actual release just to highten anticipation, but this is geting ridiculous - I give up!

Well, they do update their facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/circusmaximusband?sk=wall.

Everything is finished except for the vocals. I'd expect to hear some news in early 2012.

Buwuahahahahahaha......2012.....that's a good one...my legit, serious prediction for an album actually being released from this band (if ever) is late 2013 early 2014. Where is my evidence? The band is my hard proof. Someone will get the flu, trip with the final master going down the stairs, (the only copy of course) it will hit a pot of coffee and be destroyed. The label will fold, a band member will leave, another will pinch a nerve in his neck from feeding his hamster. Someone's wife will have tripplets, a mini van will break.....it never ends.

You should see the thread discussing this band at the Dream Theater forums...oh my.

Wow, how about some positivity folks :) They're working hard on giving us music that's worthy to hold the CM name.. I'd rather they take a few years than crank out crap and think their fans will just accept it..

And delays happen, life happens - who hasn't hit bumps in the road that's delayed plans?? So let's throw on our patient pants, make a cup of tea and be thankful that CM is still making music for our ears to enjoy..

Wow, how about some positivity folks :) They're working hard on giving us music that's worthy to hold the CM name.. I'd rather they take a few years than crank out crap and think their fans will just accept it..

And delays happen, life happens - who hasn't hit bumps in the road that's delayed plans?? So let's throw on our patient pants, make a cup of tea and be thankful that CM is still making music for our ears to enjoy..

oh, I would gladly agree with you if it wasn't 5 years, I mean 1.825 days :err:

Buwuahahahahahaha......2012.....that's a good one...my legit, serious prediction for an album actually being released from this band (if ever) is late 2013 early 2014. Where is my evidence? The band is my hard proof. Someone will get the flu, trip with the final master going down the stairs, (the only copy of course) it will hit a pot of coffee and be destroyed. The label will fold, a band member will leave, another will pinch a nerve in his neck from feeding his hamster. Someone's wife will have tripplets, a mini van will break.....it never ends.

You should see the thread discussing this band at the Dream Theater forums...oh my.

Yes, and you're the only one over there who's angry for having to wait so long.

The vocals for 4 songs are done. The album will be out this year.

I hope.

we'll see double-z....we'll see.

basement recording, basement production, basement mixing, no label, no promotion, nobody as of yet hired to do the actual pressing of this disc..unless they plan on just releasing it digitially....