THE OFFICIAL STUDIO REPORT

Heavier and still more melodic...them's good stuff, Mats! Seriously looking forward to those weekly updates!

Are they going to be in video form on youtube (kinda like what Seventh Wonder's done so far) or will it be posts here mostly?

you know, "heavier + more melodic" is the OFFICIAL MOTTO of Mike Portnoy....... :yow:

Heavier + more melodic. It seems every metal band seems to describe their new music this way. I'm kind of tired of these words... But coming from CM, it's certainly not false advertisement.

Hi !
My name is Charles and I live in France, in the Paris Suburb.
I did not know where to post this, but this forum is pretty welcoming and not very frequentend and I saw that the band members (like Mike and Mats) themselves were reading and sometimes answering their fans, so I just thought you will maybe read what I'm going to tell you. Maybe you will find this very commonplace or boring, because you must read or hear encouragements everyday. I discovered your band when your second album was released, and I immediatly loved your music. It is so intense, so brilliant. You are geniuses. In fact, you made only two albums (almost three, can't wait), but you are one of my three favorites bands, all time, all genres.
Mike, your voice is one of the finest, most melodious and most accurate I've ever heard. I like to sing over Circus Maximus' songs because the voice part is as fantastic as the instrumentation.
Your two albums are masterpieces. Your music is very elaborated, the solo sections and the melodies are full of emotion (sometimes, I'm just about to cry), the istrumental part is so rich and complex. When I listen to your music, I've got chills (note sure about this word, I hope you'll understand). Your music also gave me strenght when I was not good.
Well, this is very annoying, but this is the truth. I really really appreciate what you do and I think your are true artists, with an heart and a great sensibility.
I can't wait for your third album. Needless to say I'll buy it the day it's released. I already have your two first records at home in my CDs library and I assure you that I will support you no matter what happens, because I want you to continue what you like and want to do in your life. I hope you will keep making fabulous songs and taking us into your dream with you.
Don't forget that there is at least one big fan in France who adores you if you want to play here ! Remember, you are number #1 in my live wishlist !
Well, after that I hope you won't think I'm a stereotype of the hysterical fan who can't stop crying when he sees his favourite band in live ! All of this was just honest...
Maybe this will "make your day" as Mike likes to say :) I wish the band all the best. Keep on rocking ! \m/

(Sorry if I wrote mistakes !)

Alright, first off I want to start off by saying that this upcoming Circus Maximus album is possibly my personal most anticipated album ever. "Isolate" was perhaps the greatest masterpiece since Dream Theater's "Images and Words", and what was most appealing of both those albums were the concentration on the melody and the exhibitance of a variety of talents which augmented the progressive metal genre. So the statement of the next album being more melodic was the cushion that brought ease to my mind because melody is essentially the foundation for both "The 1st Chapter" and "Isolate". After listening to Dream Theater's depart from their early signature sound in pursuit of a heavier approach over the years, I think it would be disheartening for me to see you guys venture off into the same direction. Heaviness typically tends to contradict melody though this isn't always the case (for example 'Sin' off of "The 1st Chapter" was a perfect blend). Regardless I know this upcoming album will end up being amazing regardless of which approach you guys decide on, though too heavy is my biggest concern- I'm fearful of Death metal Maximus.

Secondly, a few weeks ago I bought tickets to one of Kamelot's tour dates. Today upon hearing about Roy Khan's illness rendering him unable to perform I grew uneasy but then my friend (the one who introduced me to both CM and Kamelot) informed me that Michael Eriksen would be filling in for Khan. This news was pretty surreal for the both of us, it's still something I'm adjusting to- but Damn they took a potential crappy situation and readjusted it suitably. I kept telling myself I am very okay with this. I sure hope Khan gets well soon, their new album is good stuff, but seeing Michael live is something I didn't think I'd get to see for the next several years. Even if not performing CM material this should be a pretty remarkable show considering Kamelot has a plethora of amazing material. Anywho, Michael I'll see you on Saturday, Mats and the rest of the band- you guys are all my idols. Rock on and make this album a force to be reckoned with.

More updates coming soon guys!
We will have weekly studio reports as soon as we are up and running in the studio. There has been some setbacks that has delayed us a bit.

I can say as much as this.
We have more material than ever and it sounds better than ever. It will sound rougher and heavier than before yet more melodic.
The productions is gonna kick ass and we´ve hooked up with one of the best mixing dudes in the metal biz.

Stay metal folks!

Mats

I'm praying for this to be Peter Tägtgren.

On est deux ;)
Et il fallait venir au Bataclan quand ils ont ouvert pour Symphony X avec Dreamscape. Concert magnifique :D

A cette époque j'étais trop jeune et je n'allais jamais aux concerts, mais maintenant oui qu'est ce que je regrette de ne pas y être allé, surtout avec Symphony X dont j'ai adoré le dernier album très technique. Mais bien entendu j'y serai allé avant tout pour voir CM :)

Yeah, what's up with the updates? I enter here daily to check if there are news about the album and well... like... there aren't.