The Opeth Countdown, Revisited ('09 Edition)

This is a great list, I agree on some of your opinions. It's always nice to read others' genuine opinions, especially when there's the occasional hilarious part.
It would be interesting to see your next list!

While I disagree with lots of this list, you got it completely spot on with #1. Its just the most incredable song, just flows and flows, drags you in. Just when you think it couldn't get any more awesome, it does. The middle section where it sways from clean to growls is just amazing, and Lopez will go down in history for that ending. My favourite opeth song to play and sing along to.

Yeah man, this is the best thread I've ever read in this forum. Fun times, cool list too. I dont agree with some of the rankings but Deliverance is really a true epic and it deserves #1.

i guess i might as well rank the albums in my humble opinion:

1. deliverance/damnation (i'm counting them as 1 album because they SHOULD HAVE BEEN GOD DAMN IT)

+1 Those are indeed their best albums and are best seen and taken as a single unit.

I think yours is a great list overall. However, I would have given the first spot to the amazing Wreath "tsunami", that song just absolutely detonates and like wine, it gets better with time.

Good thread :)

Coil is overrated.
It's a good opener, and the switch to Heir Apparent is gotta be one of the best jumps between 2 songs ever. :p
However, it isn't really a masterpiece.

Album-wise, Coil --> Heir Apparent = one song to me. Coil is definitely a beautiful little intro to the brootality of HA. Coil actually makes HA that much better of a song IMO.

...and vice versa...

Although I disagree with most of your opinions, they are your opinions and I did thoroughly enjoy reading them. Great job!

i'd have to agree with you on having moonlapse vertigo so high on the list. that one clean solo in the middle of the song is amazing, you know whats-his-name and melinda are making sweet love down by the fire at that point, and then it goes into that breakneck evil solo afterward, just amazing

some assmunch on this forum said that if this wasn't in the top 10 he would shit a brick, so ironically here it is at 11. lol i swear i'm not just doing this to spite some dumb kid, i actually planned the whole list out before i started the thread. obviously this is a classic song, it doesn't get much better than the first 6 minutes. rest of the song is great too but i have my personal favorites and that's what the top 10 is for

Oh come on I mentioned The Moor because I love that track so much. I'm 34 for god(head lament)'s sake.

The whole concept of this thread is a bit Pretentious.

But Deliverance is certainly a great choice.

I hate it how the album itself always gets pushed to the back, when it hosts some great songs, and the quality of the recording i like.

I disagree with a lot of your opinions, but you gave "Wreath" and the Deliverance album its due, and I can't argue with your #1 (even though mine would probably be "The Leper Affinity").

I enjoyed reading that list a lot. Some of your statements made me even think, "hell youre right I should like that song more/less".
I'd like to know though, Arasmas when did you discover Opeth?

Some of your statements made me even think, "hell youre right I should like that song more/less".

Eh. Putting the opinions of others before yourself is a pretty idiotic way to prioritize your music. The OP didn't even go into much detail beyond the obvious about a lot of songs... the only thing significant about his posts are his own interpretations. Nothing that truly breaks down and examines each song.

In short, if you learned something by reading the OP's descriptions of each song... you didn't listen to the songs well enough yourself.