Most Poetic Opeth Album

Dammnare

Feb 16, 2008
This is in terms of lyrics of course.

My opinion is that the lyrics of MAYH are the most poetic lyric that Opeth has ever written so far. From Prologue to Epilogue ( which is my favourite in terms of lyrics, as you can see in my sig hehe ) the lyrics are very beautiful and rich in meaning.

Other contenders would be Orchid maybe.....What do you think ?

EDIT: Forgot to add, I think we can also mention Damnation, too.

^Good lyrics. Like some poetry means nothing at first reading, but the words are so beautifully constructed that they flow in a rich context.

MYAH probably. but i only really know the lyrics to When, Credence and Demon of the Fall.
If not that then Still Life except for that terrible benighted solo lulz

Damnation for me. Although it has the fewest lyrics of all Opeth-Albums. Might be though that I chose that album simply because of the musical beauty it has, but the lyrics go so damn well with it.
I would put MAYH 2nd.

Most poetic =/= best lyrics. Most poetic = MAYH, pretty much hands down. Best lyrics = Heir Apparent, The Lotus Eater, Baying of the Hounds (after the first verse which is grammatically retarded), etc...

Most poetic should be MAYH. Most Opeth lyrics are pretty poetic but it doesn't mean they don't suck...

While Heir Apparent has the best Opeth lyrics, Watershed disappointed me immensely in some places lyricwise.

"I can see you running in the fields of sorrow"
"I wallowed in shame"

I completely agree, or I would have said Watershed, but I kept in mind the fact that pretty much 4 out of 7 of those songs are cheesy and pretentious lyrically and even Hessian Peel is pretty weak until the 2nd half of the song.

I think Mike is a pretty limited lyricist, but sometimes he nails a great atmosphere in his lyrics. From the top of my head I enjoy Windowpane, Blackwater park and Heir Apparent (tho the two-word verse thing is a bit clisché). Most of the early stuff is just trying to hard, but MAYH and Still Life both have their moments.