The Panic Room, Mastering Class 101 #2: Monitoring & Objectivity

Plec

Master of Ceremonies
Aug 30, 2004
Sweden
www.thepanicroom.se
One of the most important factors of doing your own mastering is your monitoring chain. It's very important while at the same time doesn't matter much at all. If you really want to create a better monitoring situation for yourself, you just need to start with the room. There's just no way around that issue. Any amount of money spent on speakers, D/A converters, amplifiers... whatever... will be worthless unless you start with the most important thing. This is way beyond the scope of this article though since we do want to keep it simple and focus on the good stuff.

But... a great tip is this;

A very good pair of headphones for around $300-$500 that you like to listen to music on will rival the accuracy of any room and setup costing 100 times that amount or even more. For the guys saying “you can't do any real work on headphones because....” I just want to say... go learn! :p
I've done my fair share of both mixing and mastering on headphones more than anyone would like to know and never had any complaints from doing that. The only trick is that you got to find a pair of phones that are right for YOU and you got to learn how to work on them. Simple as that. Now I've just saved you at least $50 000 bucks and numerous years of your life. Look out for my invoice in your mailbox... :)

Now another extremely important point about mastering is objectivity. The truth is that if the same person who mixed a project is also doing the master, it really shouldn't be called mastering since it just becomes more an advanced form of mix bus processing. Half the battle when mastering your own stuff is trying to be objective about what you have done, which is extremely hard to do. It took me about 4-5 years of continous work before I could comfortably master my own mixes to the point that very few other professionals could do it better, but it still takes me 3-4 times longer to master an album that I've mixed compared to an album I haven't mixed and that's all because of objectivity. When you try to master your own mixes you're not hearing the mix like a normal listener would since you're way too emotinally invested in what's going on for every single sound that you can almost impossibly make a correct judgement about the mixes and how they interact or translate as a whole.

So, without having a great monitoring environment that you can trust, and without being able to view a project with objective ears.. the mastering process will become sooo much harder. But since this IS the situaton most people on the forum has to struggle with, this will be our point of attack!

Reactions: 0000000nowhere
A very good pair of headphones for around $300-$500 that you like to listen to music on will rival the accuracy of any room and setup costing 100 times that amount or even more. For the guys saying “you can't do any real work on headphones because....” I just want to say... go learn! :p
I've done my fair share of both mixing and mastering on headphones more than anyone would like to know and never had any complaints from doing that. The only trick is that you got to find a pair of phones that are right for YOU and you got to learn how to work on them. Simple as that. Now I've just saved you at least $50 000 bucks and numerous years of your life. Look out for my invoice in your mailbox... :)

I do most of my mixing on headphones. Monitors and headphones both have their pros and cons. I find monitors to harder to hear little details on, so I'll always do drum edits with headphones. On the other hand, headphones have a kinda weird mid-side relationship that can make it quite hard to get the snare and vocal levels just right. Switching to mono and checking on other systems (monitors, car, hifi) helps a lot.

As I'm still quite new to this all, I've only had one band mixed by someone else (Ermz), and it makes a HUGE difference. I sent him stereo stems, and he cleaned up the guitars a ton (should have been done in mixing, but guitars are my weak point and I couldn't hear what else to fix) and the whole mix became bouncier and groovier and punchier, despite being smashed to reach commercial volume. If I'd mastered it, I would have just made it louder.

Mastering on headphones? I mean yeah, I haven't listened to $300-500 headphones but...really?

I think what he means is that you will surely get better results mastering on the headphones you use for years and know them back and forth than on a new set of monitors that you barely know. It's all about knowing the system, doesn't matter what it is, monitors or headphones

A very good pair of headphones for around $300-$500 that you like to listen to music on will rival the accuracy of any room and setup costing 100 times that amount or even more.

I also agree 100% on this but would like to add something for the newbies (with only average good headphones).
never tweak tones or dial in sounds on headphones! do that on monitors.
for me it's getting the sounds and an almost working mix on monitors and then doing the final balances on headphones (since i'm working in a poorly treated room).
constantly switching between the both.

Yep.. headphones are hugely overlooked. In terms of value you just can't beat them!

Get yourself a very good pair of phones, again, a pair that YOU like and feel are accurate. I hate about 90% of headphones, so it will probably take you a while finding a model that you feel just that connected with. Combine that with a great D/A converter and headphone amp and I promise you, you will not be able to get a better result until you actually find yourself in a professionally built room with a very accurate monitoring system.

a huge plus one for mastering on headphones.

its actually a great idea to mix on your speakers and master on headphones,
to get the low end right.
one of germanys best mastering engineers i work with usually masters exclusively on headphones.

I went to Japan about three years ago and they had a ton of headphones on display that you could try out, just plug your iPod in. I went through about 20 or so, ranging from $30 to $500 and eventually settled on a $50 pair, Panasonic RP-HTX7, as they were the best sounding to me.. not just in terms of balance, but they just made everything pop out at you, really detailed. I'm still using these today, and do for most of my mixing.

Did you really dislike the HD650's Ermz or did you just not get used to them? When I got my ATH-M50's I hated them and hated them for a couple of months then I started to get used to them and know them quite well

I went to Japan about three years ago and they had a ton of headphones on display that you could try out, just plug your iPod in. I went through about 20 or so, ranging from $30 to $500 and eventually settled on a $50 pair, Panasonic RP-HTX7, as they were the best sounding to me.. not just in terms of balance, but they just made everything pop out at you, really detailed. I'm still using these today, and do for most of my mixing.

I've been trying to find those, but they don't sell them ANYWHERE :O

GAS.........Thanks Plec lol
105639951-149x149-0-0_akg+akg+quincy+jones+signature+series+q701+premium.jpg

Very interesting post, Plec, and very logical conclusions.
I just have another question : in a "not pro" room, what do you think about using several monitoring systems, i. e. two or three headphone models you like for their different qualities, proximity monitors put at a low level (to avoid room effects) and a basic Hi-Fi system ?
AM.