The pics thread

anti-jesus.jpg

I don't usually find these funny, but this one was awesome.

thread needs chicks that are actually hawt.
You only bang 9s and 10s right.

The biggest piece of the pie is pretty much my thought exactly. Either that or 'So, you're wasting your money on schooling you probably don't need, eh?'
I'm history major and I'm pretty sick of people always asking me what I will do with it. Regardless of the fact that you shouldn't base your life around making as much money as possible, learning humanities makes you a more intelligent and well rounded person, along with teaching you writing and critical thinking skills. It always seems to be that business, engineering, and science majors feel the need to justify doing boring, difficult work during college. If that's what you like and are good at by all means do it, but for some people it's not all about how much money you'll make after college.

Rant over

I'm history major and I'm pretty sick of people always asking me what I will do with it. Regardless of the fact that you shouldn't base your life around making as much money as possible, learning humanities makes you a more intelligent and well rounded person, along with teaching you writing and critical thinking skills. It always seems to be that business, engineering, and science majors feel the need to justify doing boring, difficult work during college. If that's what you like and are good at by all means do it, but for some people it's not all about how much money you'll make after college.

Rant over

Amen brother. As a history and Latin major I hear a lot of this shit as well, including from my father who got a computer engineering degree from MIT. And UMaine is suffering the rule of a university president with a vendetta against the History department, aiming to turn this place into a job training institute rather than a beacon of reason in a sea of ignorance.

Luckily my dad is a history major as well so he is my role model. If someone thinks history (or any humanities discipline) course doesn't prepare for a career, they've never had to research a paper or coherently argue a point.

Rant over

I took 9 hours of Philosophy, 9 hours of English, 6 hours of History and 9 hours of Religion, just fyi. Not as much as someone solely in a Humanities discipline, but I took more than the average person probably

Anyway, it's fine if you want to do History or Philosophy or whatever, but you should at least have a game plan of what you want to do once you get out, especially after what happened in the economy.

There are two types of students in this world: Art students and real students

I have to agree with this.

I know, right? I mean, it's one thing if you want to do English and teach or work for a newspaper or something, but it's completely another to do something because you 'like it', but end up sitting around for 3 years after college figuring out what to do while working at Home Depot or something

I'm pretty sure you'd actually just teach for three years while figuring out what to do, but sure. Unless you majored in something really bizarre and impractical.

FTR, I majored in Finance in college not because I wanted to have a lucrative career, but because it actually interested me and was intriguing. Finance just happens to be one of the more lucrative fields out there, so it's coincidental.

I'm not having a very lucrative lifestyle right now because I currently make less than 20k after taxes, but it's a stepping stone right now.

I'm in the position where I can apply for university now. I don't know whether to go on a computer science course, a history course or a politics course.

Politics would probably be the least useful career wise, and the most interesting to me. Computer Science would probably be the most useful and least interesting.

newsflash: your major doesn't necessarily have to correspond directly with your future career. Example: I know quite a few people who work for the government or private sector with degrees in the Liberal Arts and feel that it benefitted them greatly

FTR, I majored in Finance...because it actually interested me and was intriguing.
Well, that explains a lot about what's wrong with you.

newsflash: your major doesn't necessarily have to correspond directly with your future career. Example: I know quite a few people who work for the government or private sector with degrees in the Liberal Arts and feel that it benefitted them greatly
I thought this was obvious, but I may have been mistaken. Did people think that people with degrees in Liberal Arts just became teachers or evaporated upon graduation?