The pics thread

DIO is the first power metal band

EDIT: actually, upon further research. Gravedigger might be the first power metal band. which would mean it started in germany
~gR~

metal was barely alive in 77. they may be one of the first metal bands, but not power metal.
~gR~

Sir Lord Baltimore, Lucifer's Friend, Bang, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult, Pentagram, Bedemon, Motorhead, Mountain, Grand Funk (other than that song American Band? They're fucking awesome), Jacula, Riot......

metal was barely alive in 77. they may be one of the first metal bands, but not power metal.
~gR~

Barely alive? What? There was a plethora of bands around that time. Besides, if we are going to crown one as the original power metal band, Manilla Road is a pretty damn good choice. I'm sure Nec will replace them with some band I've never heard of though.

all of those bands would fall into traditional metal. the 80s is when subgenres really started appearing.

plethora is a terrible word to describe metal in the 70s. there were a handfull of bands crossing over into metal. metal was in its infancy until 1980
~gR~

Jag Panzer. Witchkiller. Warlord. Fates Warning. Helstar. Armored Saint. Savage Grace. Omen.

Sir Lord Baltimore, Lucifer's Friend, Bang, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult, Pentagram, Bedemon, Motorhead, Mountain, Grand Funk (other than that song American Band? They're fucking awesome), Jacula, Riot......

Since when are Grand Funk Railroad and Mountain heavy metal? :rolleyes:

agree with all but I've always viewed Motorhead to be a really heavy punk band.

i dont consider most of those bands metal, but proto metal. ya know, the bands that lead up to metal. BOC and grand funk railroad? cmon...

how bout someone makes a time line for metal (as a picture) and posts it
~gR~

Nah, I'm just going to tell everyone to:

SHUT THE FUCK UP

and

POST THIS SHIT IN THE SOCIAL THREAD KTHX