The Plastic Surgery Debate Thread

A8

Jul 29, 2007
I am curious as to what you guys think of plastic surgery. I believe that its ok if you have a good reason to get it. Techinically i've had it myself. I had a rather large bump on my nose and i had to have it removed because it was somehow messing with my nasal passages, and I also had to have my deviated septum fixed. I'm not ashamed of what I did, although many people have tried to make me feel that way. Recently one girl at my school said she noticed something different about me. I told her i had surgery on my nose and she automatically (assuming the surgery was solely for the reason of removing the bump for better looks) started arguing and almost yelling at me. She kept saying "What's wrong with you? Why would you ever want to change yourself? How could you possibly change the way God made you?" I hated being attacked in front of a lot of people and it really made me feel like a bad person.

I'm just curious as to what you're take on plastic surgery is. Is it ok for medical reasons? Is it ok to want to change yourself, or is it a sin?

If required, wonderful. If for leisure, fuck off.

I am all about people being who they are. America's Hollywood bastardization of people is fucking annoying + sickening.

Personally I couldn't give a fuck either way.

If a person is unhappy, why not let them change themselves?

If they ain't, all the more to them for being happy about who they are. It's your body.

And because no matter what some people say, looks matter.

Cosmetic surgery really isn't that fucking bad of a thing. If you're not comfortable with who you are and you have the means to change it, who the fuck can stop you? Being that there is no God, the whole "changing the way God made you" is obviously retarded, so what other arguments are there? Of course there are people who are retarded about it and people who actually get addicted to having cosmetic surgery, but that is their problem.

It is my personal philosophy that you should just be who you are and how you were born and that if people cannot accept you as is, then you're not trying to fit in with the right people apparently.

OK well usually I would judge such a person as insecure, but I am sure there are cases where that is not true.

Or

If you cannot accept YOURSELF as is, then you should try to get stronger willpower or something. I suppose there are cases where it would be aesthetically very nice to have plastic surgery performed, but I myself could not bear to love someone who had it done for reasons purely aesthetic. There is much more to anyone than that, and people are not objects to be judged in such ways.

But you can about abortion, etc.? I dunno, I consider some abortions to want to be taken place for personal reasons also...but let's just not get into abortion. Then again, I do not think plastic surgery should be made illegal at all. I just think it's stupid unless required.

I'm not gonna lie, I love big breasts, I mean if you're flatchested, it would definitely help. But if you go for surgery after surgery and end up looking like a blow up doll, then something is definitely wrong with you and problem is more than "skin deep".

But you can about abortion, etc.? I dunno, I consider some abortions to want to be taken place for personal reasons also...but let's just not get into abortion. Then again, I do not think plastic surgery should be made illegal at all. I just think it's stupid unless required.
Umm, my stance on abortion is that they should be legalized and the choice left up to the individual so I am not saying this like "GENERALLY, however, I do not endorse it."

I say that if it looks like you never had plastic surgery post-surgery, you have a damn good doctor.

Yeah, like...I think that'd be pretty gross if you could see shit. Then again, I do not know how often you can or whatever.

Nick, sorry for bringing that up...anyway, yeah it's a personal thing and I am not pushing for any kind of legislation, it's just my personal philosophy. I don't give a shit if people follow it or not.

It decreases the amount of ugly people, but also masks bad genes...

It doesn't make me extremely annoyed to see someone with a nose job or implants or anything, it doesn't affect me at all. I don't judge peoples choices or even think about them, especially if I don't even know the person.

I am curious as to what you guys think of plastic surgery. I believe that its ok if you have a good reason to get it. Techinically i've had it myself. I had a rather large bump on my nose and i had to have it removed because it was somehow messing with my nasal passages, and I also had to have my deviated septum fixed. I'm not ashamed of what I did, although many people have tried to make me feel that way. Recently one girl at my school said she noticed something different about me. I told her i had surgery on my nose and she automatically (assuming the surgery was solely for the reason of removing the bump for better looks) started arguing and almost yelling at me. She kept saying "What's wrong with you? Why would you ever want to change yourself? How could you possibly change the way God made you?" I hated being attacked in front of a lot of people and it really made me feel like a bad person.

I'm just curious as to what you're take on plastic surgery is. Is it ok for medical reasons? Is it ok to want to change yourself, or is it a sin?

You should've said to that girl: "God didn't make you to be a bitch did he?"

OK well usually I would judge such a person as insecure, but I am sure there are cases where that is not true.

Or

If you cannot accept YOURSELF as is, then you should try to get stronger willpower or something. I suppose there are cases where it would be aesthetically very nice to have plastic surgery performed, but I myself could not bear to love someone who had it done for reasons purely aesthetic. There is much more to anyone than that, and people are not objects to be judged in such ways.

You really can't say that unless you have hated your appearance so much that you felt it destroyed your life. Thats like someone having an opinion on a poor girl having an abortion when she can't support the baby when they have never been in a position like that.

And have you ever judged someones appearance before?

I say that if it looks like you never had plastic surgery post-surgery, you have a damn good doctor.

Hah, yeah.

And to all the guys that try to be noble and say "Fakeness isn't attractive," you should stop kidding yourselves. If a good looking woman came up to you with surgical results like Ozzman suggested, you'd completely forget about what you said.