The Plastic Surgery Debate Thread

that is what's attractive to the average female/male

if you are saying that there are exceptions to this... uh I know that captain obvious :lol: There are exceptions to everything

I am talking about the 60-80% majority, not the 20 or 30% minority.

the average guy will find vida guerro extremely sexy
the average woman will find brad pitt extremely sexy

Oh, and I suppose the average member of UM (60%-80%) doesn't give a rat's ass about this stupid shit.

Appeal to the majority ftw!

this has absolutely nothing to do with plastic surgery and everyone is being retarded

lock this thread

Damnit, CAIRATH, you can never wait until I get home.

Sorry!

I completely agree with your post by the way. I kind of ignored the whole built in genetic aspect of it since that kind of falls under the nature vs. nurture debate (i.e. do we find something ugly because we are taught by society that it is or because we are naturally inclined to feel that way) which is always tricky. My gut feeling is that nowadays society plays a much larger role than the genetic aspect but I have nothing to back that up with really. At the very least society has taken the basic genetic premise of what is beautiful and what isn't and taken it to an unnecessary extreme.

catrz9.jpg

"I see nothing wrong with it"

And why does someone feel ugly? It's because society tells them they are. If you are constantly mocked and made to feel like the way you look makes you inferior to other people then ofcourse you're going to feel ugly and rejected. The problem isn't in your head, the problem is in the way people treat eachother and in the way that the media portrays our society's supposed ideals and standards.

For instance, how many times have you seen, say, a shampoo ad with a picture of a real person on it (male or female)? They are always models with perfectly symmetrical faces with their own bodyweight in make-up and hair products applied combined with liberal use of the Photoshop airbrush tool in post-processing to make sure everything that could be even remotely considered to be an imperfection is removed (example). That is what we see when we look at an ad at the train station, open pretty much any magazine or turn on the TV. Sure it affects some people more than others, but we are all constantly made to feel self-conscious about how we look. Why do you think the woman with the dreamy blue eyes in any given toothpaste commercial has the most unnaturally perfect white teeth? It's because the very purpose of that commercial is to make you feel bad about your own undoubtedly less-than-white teeth and to pressure you into buying their product to quench your fear of being sexually undesirable. And this works, albeit mostly subconsciously. Any person that actually sits and thinks about it will pretty much come to the conclusion that it's entirely ridiculous but by the time the commercial is over you're already being bombarded by the next one so you're not really given the time to realise how stupid it is. Do not underestimate the power of suggestive and subliminal advertising and how easily the human mind can be made to override rational thought by appealing to our most basic emotions (fear, lust, etc.)

This affects everyone in western society to some degree (and hell, it's pretty much the driving force behind the whole advertising business), but again, some are more vulnerable to it than others. If you've already lived your whole life with being slightly odd looking in some form or another, then you've probably been bullied at school and possibly socially rejected in later life. Given all that it's kind of hard to just go "Oh this is all in my head." In the end it is all in your head, but it's our society that put it there in the first place. Saying that you are only ugly if you feel ugly is just ignoring the elephant in the room.

Ofcourse we cannot really fix deeply engrained missteps in our society like this by ourselves, so then all that remains is either put up with it (if you have the mental fortitude to do that, which some people do, and I admire them for that) or you can just give in and address the symptoms rather than the root of the problem by getting whatever deformity you have fixed. You argue that this won't fix your self-esteem issues but what are you basing that on really. Aside from surgical failures, to me it always seems most people who wanted this type of surgery for the reasons I outlined tend to be very happy with the outcome and feel better and more confident about themselves afterward.

If it makes the difference between being made to feel miserable and insecure for the rest of your life or actually turning your life around and making you feel better and more confident then don't the ends justify the means? Regardless of how revolting it is that we live in the kind of shallow society that essentially demands people to adhere to unnaturally high standards of physical appearance for no well established reason.

The point you made about the media in some level make people feel uneasy about their body is convincing. But there's another factor that the mass media want to give you the perfect, professional, and ideal image to sell you the product. For example, on advertisements with toothpaste when they show the extreme close up to the teeth it is usually computer generated. Probably, because nobody's teeth looks attractive if you do an extreme close up so they just do a simulated computer graphic instead. Same can be said with commercials for skin cosmetics.

To note most visual media like TV, video, graphic design packaging, in general is more attractive than toned down text like in Times New Roman font in using now. They are usually made to be loud and stimulating and like you said, it can not be underestimated in how convincing in how watching it can have effects you. It makes you rather passive.

I already linked that video, but yeah it's a nice illustration of how distorted those ads really are. I do like Dove as a brand for stuff like this. I mean sure they're still trying to sell you a product as much as the next brand and it would be naive to think otherwise but atleast they aren't being total bastards about it. They seem to have realized that advertising especially in the branche they operate in has taken things too far (I mean let's face it, all advertising has fake people but beauty/skin/hair products tend to be the worst ones of them all).

I already linked that video, but yeah it's a nice illustration of how distorted those ads really are. I do like Dove as a brand for stuff like this. I mean sure they're still trying to sell you a product as much as the next brand and it would be naive to think otherwise but atleast they aren't being total bastards about it. They seem to have realized that advertising especially in the branche they operate in has taken things too far (I mean let's face it, all advertising has fake people but beauty/skin/hair products tend to be the worst ones of them all).

I knew I got that video from someone on here, I just couldn't remember who!