The pre-production proces....

uploader

New Metal Member
Jul 17, 2007
Hey guys , i was wondering can some one explain me the pre-production proces.. im a newbie , and i was jumping to the biger stuff , but never , learned the begining.

for me preproduction is a process where you get with your band or what ever band you are working with BEFORE you get in the studio and listen to the songs and try to get "away" from being in the band and really listen to the song. figure out of everything is really working for common sounds or a theme . try and figure out if all of the songs are in the same key or if modulations would work for certain parts to add tension or improve dynamic feel. also to work out technically demanding parts of the song or to make sure everyone is actually playing parts that are correct and in key "dude that sucks, but dude I have been playing it like that for four years" those are the things that I think pre production can really help you to get a handle on. also you can find problem areas that you can start to work out solutions for BEFORE you get your band in the studio. or to work out how the fuck am I gonna get that to record worth a damn!!!!!! another thing is to get people to maybe start to play the same thing more than once in a row(like drum fills or solo's)

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Love Curran

My take on it is....

A producer or engineer works with the band before the studio recording starts and they go over each song recording it possibly and just figuring out how the structure goes. They suggest things like maybe a chorus here or put the breakdown at this point or do a solo here or sing this way...Get my drift.

There is more I'm sure but thats what Ive got so far from watching dvd's of bands in the studio during pre production. There just working out all the kinks and letting the engineer/producer get acquainted with the music and putting his 2 cents in.

Please add or correct me people if I'm way off on this :zombie:

To me it's always been ANYTHING that gets you ready to enter the studio prepared.

So this could be:

Tweaking/writting your songs (lyrics guitar parts etc...)
Recording rough ideas
Working out solos, hard parts, etc
Selction of amps, drums, etc...
Changing strings (I know it's a small thing but it's done prior to studio time)
Setting up instroments (like bands never seem to do :mad:)
Practicing with a metronome (lol, yeah right not the people I record)

Basically everything bands never seem to do :(:erk:

To me, it is very important to actually record all the songs properly in pre-production. Not necessarily with great sound, but so that the band can listen to it and notice things.

Usually if you are playing, you listen differently than when you are just sitting in your car, listening to a recording of your own stuff.

It also helps to find flaws in the arrangement.

1)get everyone on the same page, as far songs/arrangements go

2)plan and spell out the process, step-by-step, and make sure everyone's aware of their timelines

3)make sure all instruments are properly setup to record...new strings, action, intonation, and tuning for guitars/bass...new heads and proper tuning for the drums, no fucked up buzzing or hiss from amps/pedals, etc. etc.

4)programming metronome/click, assuming one is to be used

basically everything that needs to be done before a single microphone is ever plugged in

Now does this stuff usually fall under an hourly rate with producers or engineers like yourselves or do most of you just get a set price or maybe just do this for free with bands and then charge in your studio??

Sorry if its a dumb question but I'm kinda curious how that works cause i would love to do this with bands I'm recording but I know most of them are on budgets so its kinda tough:Smug:

1)get everyone on the same page, as far songs/arrangements go

2)plan and spell out the process, step-by-step, and make sure everyone's aware of their timelines

3)make sure all instruments are properly setup to record...new strings, action, intonation, and tuning for guitars/bass...new heads and proper tuning for the drums, no fucked up buzzing or hiss from amps/pedals, etc. etc.

4)programming metronome/click, assuming one is to be used

basically everything that needs to be done before a single microphone is ever plugged in

that is also the time to get a song list and for the engineer to set-up templates if you're using daws. how many of you use template when recording a band with multiple songs?

Now does this stuff usually fall under an hourly rate with producers or engineers like yourselves or do most of you just get a set price or maybe just do this for free with bands and then charge in your studio??

Sorry if its a dumb question but I'm kinda curious how that works cause i would love to do this with bands I'm recording but I know most of them are on budgets so its kinda tough

long story short...if you're using up my time, then you're gonna hafta pay me for it - every hour i spend recording is an hour i could spend getting paid OT at my "real" job, or playing with my kid, or boning my woman, or whatever the fuck else

OTOH, this is why most of the stuff i've recorded so far sounds like poopy...the bands come in without their shit together, and are too cheap to pay for any pre-production time, and the end quality suffers as a result.

that being said, i usually give the band a rundown of my working process and their timelines beforehand, and give them guidelines to have their shit together when they get here, but they don't ever listen to dick that i tell them. alas, it's THEIR album that ends up sucking because they didn't change their fucking strings, or get down the change into that one breakdown, or whatever it is that always seems to go wrong.

cheap bastards...

that is also the time to get a song list and for the engineer to set-up templates if you're using daws. how many of you use template when recording a band with multiple songs?

i always use a template, no matter what. my DAW has a "default" template that i load that has all I/O's and everything else pre-assigned and sorted out...then i edit this for the current project, hit record, then "save as". then i delete all the tracks in the waveform editor, hit record again, and go to "save as" again. rinse. repeat.

nothing depresses me more than untight playing.

Except an untight chick ...... that really stinks when she is so untight you have to tie a 2x4 to your ass so you don't fall in there.
That's a terrible thing for me. Then again - I'm hung like a green bean!
:lol: :cry: :lol:

Sorry! Couldn't resist!

After we're done with the writing/editing of the songs structure, thats probably the first thing i do, nothing depresses me more than untight playing.

yeah, i really hate recording/mixing anything done without a click these days.... its baaad practice...
if they can do it they really should... it makes me not hate myself :saint:

yeah, i really hate recording/mixing anything done without a click these days.... its baaad practice...
if they can do it they really should... it makes me not hate myself :saint:

are you serious what band in their right mind would record without a click id insist on a click ultimatley its your studios name that goes behind the record and if it sounds like a mess it will stick in the minds of other future clients like "dude im not recording in that place xxxx recorded there and their work sounds like pants"

Reputation counts for a lot in music if it dident we wouldent be on this forum:saint:

^^ well if you can only work with new and young bands who can't play to a click what you're gonna do?
record them anyway.
point out every tempo drag, every speed up, ask them to work on it for the next one. do the best you can.
I have a mortgage, I can't afford to reject bands who cant play to a click.
If it makes my reputation suffer, I haven't seen it in the booking.