The pre-production proces....

are you serious what band in their right mind would record without a click id insist on a click ultimatley its your studios name that goes behind the record and if it sounds like a mess it will stick in the minds of other future clients like "dude im not recording in that place xxxx recorded there and their work sounds like pants"

Reputation counts for a lot in music if it dident we wouldent be on this forum:saint:

ive worked with some drummers who just cant play to a click, theyll have some cans on and itll be really loud, but they stray right off from it, as though they just cant hear it... thats what band would record without a click :lol:

i insist they use a click, but some people just cant do it... its annoying, they should go practice

Dave Lombardo doesnt play to a click track... the thing is if you just suck as a drummer.....you suck click track or not. and this is just me opinion but you should never insist that a drummer does so. the drummer should be comfy and thats whats most important. it's all about the grove

colonel kurtz said:
great drummers don't need a click...they use their hands/feet/brain to keep the tempo for them
yes, Thats all good that those drummers can keep time in their head for themselves, but i don't want to be a mind reader, reading my drummers counts when it comes to playing as a band.
It's like flying blindfolded with your co-pilot (who can see everything), and you have to guess where the gap in the mountain is so you don't crash
It just makes life easier.

For example the drummer is going to be doing be doing 4 crochet cymbal chokes/grabs in bar 51, not play for the first 2 counts in bar 52 and choke on the 3rd count only, not the fourth then continue the next bar as normal; and I'm to be playing along with that, i want to be sure i nail those hits dead on.

In simpler terms the click helps me keep in time because i know when the drums are going to be hit.

Besides that, it makes recording and mixing easier :)
ps. (sorry if this post comes across with a shitty attitude)

OCD? No shit man
HOW THE FUCK DO YOU PLAY LIVE?

I'll trade all that shit you just threw down for one fuckin honest take where the band is vibing on each other

Dean, there's a forest behind those trees bro

:lol:

OCD? No shit man
HOW THE FUCK DO YOU PLAY LIVE?

I'll trade all that shit you just threw down for one fuckin honest take where the band is vibing on each other

Dean, there's a forest behind those trees bro

:lol:

lol i can't help it man (the OCD), but i've played with so many bad musicians i can't help but be fussy about their playing. Live, i understand it to be a compromise (which is where most of our mistakes happen) but if we have a bad performance i get depressed. So i just make sure during the recording process that its not like that.

The biggest compliment i could get after playing is "wow man your live performance sounds just like your CD"

i've played with so many bad musicians i can't help but be fussy about their playing.
I hear you man, I record so many bad ones, I don't have time to change them. In the realm of my small time demo-studio. I have to get them in and out. I always TRY to get them to play to a click. If they cant, we don't. It is a wonderful surprise when they can, and it's awesome when they do it themselves beforehand, which is one of my pre-production recommendations.
I suppose if I was charging a grand a day and had a label budget to work with I would beat them to death until they got it right. Unfortunately I work with guys who have a day or two to hammer out a decent demo so they can get into the clubs. And we do what we can because there's another band waiting.
I had a drummer come in recently, who did all her tracks to a click without any other band members present. She nailed them all. She also came in with new heads, a tuned up kit that happened to be pearl maple recording masters (or whatever they are called). In other words she had her shit together.:worship:
I asked her to marry me.
she declined.

I had a drummer come in recently, who did all her tracks to a click without any other band members present. She nailed them all. She also came in with new heads, a tuned up kit that happened to be pearl maple recording masters (or whatever they are called). In other words she had her shit together.:worship:
I asked her to marry me.
she declined.

by the time i got to "...any band members present" i was thinking your second last line lol