The question Nostradamus warned for.

Opeth - Better dan Iron Maiden?

• Yes

Votes: 88 84.6%
  • No

Votes: 16 15.4%

• Total voters
Without Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, metal would be so much better right now.

i'm a huge maiden fan, and i would've chosen maiden without blinking a year ago, but opeth have set new standards in the way i look at music.

i still remember when i thought that 7th son was as close to musical perfection as you could get..

R0l0 said:
I already did, and it still doesn't change anything... should post it in general music discussion to get a better idea of the spread :Spin:

You have a point there, but as i said: "(...) to what extent the Iron Maiden-fans on this board will answer this question." So in fact this question is directed to people who listen to ànd Opeth, ànd Iron Maiden. And the largest amount of those can be found on the Opeth-board, no? Plus: I'm more interested in the written out replies rather than just the poll. The poll is a mere appendix of it.

For example:

prowlergrig said:
i'm a huge maiden fan, and i would've chosen maiden without blinking a year ago, but opeth have set new standards in the way i look at music.

i still remember when i thought that 7th son was as close to musical perfection as you could get..

I think replies like these are very interesting honestly!

Vrykolakas said:
I like Opeth's cover version of Iron Maiden's "Remember Tomorrow" better than the original. :D

me too. it's on a very short list of covers i prefer better than the originals, alongside Dark Tranquility's 'My Friend of Misery' and D&W's 'White Room' (insert collective gasp here, i know).

vampyré said:
Without Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, metal would be so much better right now.

you have got to be fucking kidding me. is this poor sarcasm?

vampyre said:

LOL i don't even have any sabbath, maiden, or priest albums but i know that metal would hardly even exist without any of them. Including Opeth (seeing as mike is heavily influenced by maiden and judas priest)

vampyré said:

yeah it sure would be great not existing, it means we wouldnt have moronic opeth fans polluting the planet

urinalcakemix said:
Musically , and technically Opeth far exceeds them.

Without Maiden and Priest there is no metal as we know it today.

Maiden has put out great albums for 3 decades, Opeth for 1?

I'm going to say Maiden, because of their innovation, and mile long list of their best material
Ha Ha! That Super Mario avitar is fukin funny!! :tickled:

Are you guys seriously suggesting that without certain individuals from Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, there would be no heavy metal music?

There was a hint of sarcasm in that statement tho. It would be interesting to get a time machine, kill Iommi + the reast and then come back and see what it's liek.

this question is how u interpret it, now days in how many people like them? who knows...who helps metal more? probably iron..either way, who cares listen to your music!..done

vampyré said:
Are you guys seriously suggesting that without certain individuals from Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, there would be no heavy metal music?

There was a hint of sarcasm in that statement tho. It would be interesting to get a time machine, kill Iommi + the reast and then come back and see what it's liek.

There would have been metal. We would be worshiping a different set of metal pioneers is all. That said, there is nothing wrong with liking the current pantheon, eh? Sure, in abstractia, it could be better, it could also have been a whole lot worse (think more Barry Gibb and more bands like Warrant and White Lion). In the mutliverse, all possibilities are played out ad infinitem. It WOULD be nice to stroll through them one day though. Perhpas we shall. 'Course you'd need Moogle (Google for multiverses) to be able to effectivly nav., which I hear can be quite expensive.