The real amp vs simulators debate

My two cents: Someone who really, *really* knows what they're doing can, with the software around, pull off tones that are indistinguishable from a real amp. I've heard plenty of comparisons and seen a number of double-blind tests with results split down the middle.

yeah but it's not JUST the tone that counts IMHO.
for me, playing an amp VST just feels like shit, indirect
it's like fucking with a flabby cock:lol:

Honestly, I feel that cab sims are where amp modeling comes short.

Everyone is doing all these great advancements in pre-amp modeling while we are still using the same static IR type cab technology. I know there was some interest in some sort of "nebula" type dynamic impulses but I feel like most of the balls that's missing in digital sims is from lack of real cab speakers flexing

Run one of these newer amp sims through a real power amp and cab and you'll see what I mean.

A lot of people are saying, "Yeah, I play around with amp sims and think i'm getting a good tone till I plug in to my amp, and then I'm blown away!", but of course an amp right next to you is going to sound better than an already digital sound coming out of your monitors. If you record that guitar sound, it may still sound good, but it's not gonna sound nearly as good as it does with you just standing by the amp playing. So I don't think that's really a fair judgement, honestly you can get a decent recorded tone with either, and fairly easily depending which your more familiar with. At this point, I think it's getting closer and closer to a matter of workflow.

A lot of people are saying, "Yeah, I play around with amp sims and think i'm getting a good tone till I plug in to my amp, and then I'm blown away!", but of course an amp right next to you is going to sound better than an already digital sound coming out of your monitors. If you record that guitar sound, it may still sound good, but it's not gonna sound nearly as good as it does with you just standing by the amp playing. So I don't think that's really a fair judgement, honestly you can get a decent recorded tone with either, and fairly easily depending which your more familiar with. At this point, I think it's getting closer and closer to a matter of workflow.

I would revise my previous statement to include recording as recently i've done a lot of my guitar playing with amp and cab mic'd up and listening through my monitors. I personally think that the sound in the room can often be quite shit but when you mic it up you get something good.

I forgot to mention that if your computer and hardware interface isn't bleeding edge technology, you're probably going to be experiencing latency, which destroys the experience of playing through an amp sim. If this is what you're dealing with, you're going to want to go the amp route.

I have a dual quad core HP XW8600 with a Steinberg MR816x with HiZ inputs. I can pull sims off which easily compare to my tube rig. Again, if you don't have the hardware to pull it off, don't even try it.

I think with me part of the enjoyment of mixing comes from trying to turn something okay into something great. I'd rather take a sub-par miked amp and tweak it to sound good, amp sims tend to lend themselves to never ending fiddling. Same with drums. I hate mixing sampled drums. I'd rather spend hours editing and enhancing a shitty live kit than mix sampled drums.