The reason why the world still needs dedicated Recording Engineers and Producers

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
I have a friend, who shall remain anonymous so let's call him "John Doe", who sent me an S.O.S. via MSN just moments and went like "can you do something to these files". He just received EP multitracks for mixing from a band, who also shall remain anonymous so let's call them "The band", but they recorded themselves and wanted the EP to be mixed by someone else. The band sent John the multitracks and they seemed otherwise fine (miced gtr and bass), but there was a few reasons why this proves to the world that even tho you have the internetz and everything, there is still need for a professional and semiprofessional sound engineers and producers.

The band did record the whole thing live, but still: the playing is REALLY horrible, the bass player stops playing at some points because he fucks up and judging from the short clip I heard, the stuff sounds like the instruments and singing are out of tune. BUT, the cry for help came when he said that the main problem was that there was no stereo overheads. And no kick, no toms, no hihat. Just one overhead for the whole drums. And the drum track (note singular form, not plural) sounded like this. And the band wants to sound like 80s glam rock or something. So I was like, wtf do you do with just one overhead mic?

First I thought, well at least putting the playing on grid without phase problems should be easy, with just one track I mean :loco: Then what I did was that I tried to at least salvage the kick, snare and overheads from there, or at least try if it's possible. What I did was that I took the track and duplicated it three times, named the tracks BD, SN and OH.

Then on the BD track I used the AIR Kill EQ that comes stock with Pro Tools 8 and turned on only the low band and started sweeping for frequencies where I can mostly only hear the kick, which I think ended up at 120hz, then I did the same for snare, which was a bit higher, like 200hz or something. Then I just put the Slate Trigger after that on both channels and if excluding the parts where the drummer starts to play toms, it worked fabulously. Then with the overheads, first I highpassed the track at 1khz so I got rid of the drums, but it was still mono and just doing the Haas trick doesn't work. That was a problem. What I did was that I routed the mono track to a stereo bus, then put the Waves S-1 stereowidener there, then a stereo delay with like 10% mix and 25ms and 30ms delays with 20% and 30% feedback a bit of "overhead" style stereo image smudge followed by a light chorus again with very low 10% mix just so that the "overheads" wouldn't sound so static. After that I just put a reverb there because there was no room mic, and since the band wanted to sound like 80's glam rock, I went a bit overboard with the reverb, like they did back then because it was a new thing :heh:

So, this is what I ended up with; The samples I used in the clip don't really matter, they are just for show that "it can be done", but the end result will still sound like shit and I think John will get really high or drunk after he has mixed the EP.

hmm... after all of that, it seems like you could've just programmed the drums? :err:

i guess what this proves is that everyone has to start "somewhere" ...i certainly remember (a lifetime ago) when all i made was mistakes. :lol:
maybe professional engineers can pick the amateur material apart and discredit it for the sheer implication of "inaccurate" methods? but i know for a fact that there are people who don't ever work on music (just listeners) that pick apart the professional's work, as if they know what they are talking about.

all-in-all ...nice save man! ;)

hmm... after all of that, it seems like you could've just programmed the drums? :err:

program a live recording with all the bleed and shit on the other mics? :erk: My guess is that the band would've definitely noticed. To quote John: "i can hear drums singer on guitar tracks / drums and singer / dude". If it would've been my project, I would've rather just re-record everything myself instead, properly. BUT IT'S NOT MY PIECE OF SHIT TO WORK WITH :kickass:

program a live recording with all the bleed and shit on the other mics? :erk: My guess is that the band would've definitely noticed. To quote John: "i can hear drums singer on guitar tracks / drums and singer / dude". If it would've been my project, I would've rather just re-record everything myself instead, properly. BUT IT'S NOT MY PIECE OF SHIT TO WORK WITH :kickass:

i mean, you trash all the drums and master edit the music (guitars/bass/vocals etc.) to a groove template (time consuming, i know) ...but afterwards it doesn't sound like you perfumed a pig, instead it will be a unique work of your own that you may now obtain full uncompromising credit for (along with the band, of course).

in many cases, i have worked with artists that may not have had the best performance but we get what we can get and in those particular cases i will output a very unique/yet pronounced concept that may have been worse had it been tracked "correctly."

like i said, well done!

it's just so hard to tell what a "pro" is doing against a "bedroom warrior" nowadays.

it's just so hard to tell what a "pro" is doing against a "bedroom warrior" nowadays.

ahem, BASEMENT warrior, thank you very much.

Pretty awesome wizardry there Anssi. I think the biggest thing about this is the importance of a professional in encouraging good performances. I remember a couple years ago when me and my friends were unleashed into a pro studio (The guy was rich and just had one, didn't know how to use it) and we had no clue what were doing - what came out sounded pretty much like turd. A lot of it came from being rushed, and a drummer who couldn't play to a click.... and we didn't come in with scratch guitar tracks done to a click or anything, so he just recorded the drums from his head. The guitar tracks weren't done with a ton of care and polish cause we didn't have the time. We had no clue how long things would take.

It sounded like this: Could have been worse.... the guy had Waves plugins :p

The main point is - know the fuck what you're doing. I still don't completely.

Last edited by a moderator:
annnd... now what does it sound like?

'cause that, my friend... sounds like turd nuggets. =\

i mean, you trash all the drums and master edit the music (guitars/bass/vocals etc.) to a groove template (time consuming, i know) ...but afterwards it doesn't sound like you perfumed a pig, instead it will be a unique work of your own that you may now obtain full uncompromising credit for (along with the band, of course).

in many cases, i have worked with artists that may not have had the best performance but we get what we can get and in those particular cases i will output a very unique/yet pronounced concept that may have been worse had it been tracked "correctly."

like i said, well done!

My point still stands; The band recorded the tracks like shit and it's not the first or the last band to do so. If someone with at least some knowledge of things recorded this and even said to the band that the last take sucked because the bass player fucked up and stopped playing, "John" wouldn't be at home bleeding to death right now from 3 consecutive suicide attempts.

In general I prefer the "more work for them, less work for me" method, because it usually is less about polishing turd and more about actually getting a good performance. It usually also ends up sounding better naturally, and the bands usually end up happier because it sounds more like "them" instead of more like "me". And time wise it is wiser too; it usually takes about 3-10 takes per part (read: ~2-5 minutes) to get 1-3 useable takes that you can then edit if needed, compared to having 1 take of totally horrendous audio vomit like the one in the OP that takes 18 hours to fix in the mix.

And even tho the groove template is a cool idea and everything, but I still don't like that approach. If it was a "real" paying client, like a live gig DVD for Dream Theater, you just don't go and program the drums, even if Mike Mangini just snorted 30kg of coke before the show and sucks cock as a drummer on that particular gig. Sample replacing, reamping guitars etc is totally fine, but if the band records live and especially if you are working with also video, don't touch the performance, arrangement etc if you have been hired for mixing the EP.

PS: I heard from "John" that they also had a snare track, so it means it would've taken the band 1 more track and just a small bit of knowledge to have a Glyn Johns micing totally set up, which is totally acceptable micing for drums, but instead they had this "one overhead + snare" micing that is not so unusable for "good" production, unless you are going for the retro hardpanned Beatles drums -thing of course.

When it all came together it actually didn't sound that bad, lol.

I listened to the whole song, I actually liked the music a lot.

EDIT: Holy fuark you guys actually have really good musical ideas, get some less sloppy played recordings and it'll be sweet.

Thanks a ton!
Go on my YouTube channel (youtube.com/spiritbeast) or listen to the sorta shitty demos on my Soundcloud and you'll see what we're up to nowadays. That song was a couple years old haha.

EDIT: The demos on my SoundCloud now appear to be private. My guitarist did it in fear of random people stealing our music. Valid concern. Here's an example of one of our pre-pro demos for the new album though, no mixing/bass http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27079170/bassonggooddrums.mp3

And yes, I'll make sure the playing is ridiculously tight, and the vocal performances top notch... in the end, that's the most important aspect!

annnd... now what does it sound like?

'cause that, my friend... sounds like turd nuggets. =

That's the point. That's why I linked it.
What does it sound like now? You guys'll just have to wait :p

haha this is pretty much how i used to do EVERYTHING when all i had was a 2 channel interface - one for kick trigger and one for overhead