Another drum triggers + real cymbals question

cvdpoel

Dec 17, 2011
Richmond, VA
www.soundcloud.com
Hey guys! First post here so go easy on me. I'm recording a friend's band and we just finished tracking drums today. I have Drumagog and Steven Slate Trigger EX, and I've been getting good results with both. I'm slip editing the drums I triggered (kick, snare, rack tom and floor tom) and I'm making small adjustments to them so that they're all perfectly on time. The problem I'm having is that I'm still picking up some of the kick and snare on the overhead mics. I already have a limiter on the overheads that is kind of getting rid of the kick and snare, but it's still noticeable when there are double bass runs (which I've triggered to be perfectly on time), but it's still picking up in the overheads. Is there anything I can do? Thanks in advance!

The first thing people are going to jump on is you programming them to be perfectly on time. It sounds unnatural when they're "to the grid" perfect. Second, isn't there a "threshold" or "noise gate" or something of the sort on those programs? If not, I don't have any other advice

You can try to timestretch the overheads so that the hits there are in sync with the triggered hits. Then if you still hear Too much snare i guess you could send the teiggered snare to a compressor on your overhead tracks.

This is why you need to group all your drum/trigger tracks together and edit them as one whole instrument. Not edit each spot mic separately.

You can sometimes get away with editing the kick separately if you try to make the kick really quiet in the overheads when recording, and then severely high pass the overheads in the mix. But for snare's and toms you'll never be able to eliminate them from the overheads entirely.

I know this may sound weird, but what we're gonna end up doing is I fixed all the MIDI that we triggered, and I'm having the drummer come back in and just play cymbals. I know that may sound weird, but I think it's gonna turn out well. Thanks for the help guys!

I've been pondering doing that myself. Just micing/playing the cymbals exclusively. This might not be "common practice" but surely its not unheard of. Anyone have any experiance or things to keep in mind while doing this?

Another question about this method, does it matter if its a matched pair of overhead mics? And spacing, thats something ill have to read alot more about too. Never recorded live drums before so I'm total noobxcore when it comes to this.

Matched mic's are ideal for getting a accurate stereo image of your overheads, though as long as you're using two of the same mic it should be close enough.

Recording shells and cymbals seperately is a good technique to use if the drummer can manage it. Some guys will struggle with it though.