Drum Editing

there's definitely a difference between a computer cutting every transient and placing those on a grid as opposed to eye balling hits and sliding them by hand

the by hand method is a little more natural and less sterile.

Also, tonight I just tried the whole "tab to transient"-esque deal in Logic, and this is how I do it: select everything with the Marquee tool, slide the selection over with Shift+right arrow, slice at locator (which I have mapped to Command+/). There are two problems:
1) Sliding the selection to the next transient is SO slow that it is completely unusable. Even with a blank project, nothing imported except a bounce of the drum tracks, it takes upwards of 10-20 seconds for my computer to figure out where the next transient is and slide the selection over.
2) When I Command+/ to Split Region by Locator, it removes my marquee selection. If I were to use this method, I would need to re-select everything every time I make a cut.
Any other Logic users out there have the same problems, or any other methods of quantizing by hand/without Flex?

Wow nevermind I randomly just figured it out on my own. To those with the same problem as me: 1) Entering the sample editor and clicking Audio File > Detect Transients should make the memory load much smoother. 2) Redefine your key commands so that Shift+arrow keys are "forward to transient" and "rewind to transient" instead... and then instead of "Split By Locators", try "Split By Playhead" with the regions themselves selected rather than using the marquee tool. As long as all your drums are phase-locked, this should work great.

Tip: If everything's phase-locked, you should be able to deselect the little green Q-reference button next to your non-drum tracks - hi hat, overheads, etc. That way you aren't detecting any wacky transients =]

Wait so are you editing drum shells and then overheads/hats/cymbals etc separately?

I would never do this, quickest way to fuck the phase up.

I have heard people editing kick separately but I still don't even take it that far. I would much prefer to have the drummer track it until it is tight enough for my "standards"

Wait so are you editing drum shells and then overheads/hats/cymbals etc separately?

No way dude! You group ALL your tracks together, then Q-monitor (that's what it's called in Logic, at least) the kick, snare, toms. This way it only detects transients from your close mics and not from your overheads. Often it can detect transients from the cymbal hits themselves, which may not be in time with the drums, or it may simply detect the overhead bleed of drum hits, which is delayed from the close mic. You are definitely still editing all your drums together! NEVER ungroup your drums until you are done editing and ready to mix!