The Recording of "Woods 3"...

David Gold

Son of the Darkest Blues
Feb 20, 2004
No hometown, Ontario.
www.woodsofypres.ca
Woods of Ypres will enter Chemical Sound in downtown Toronto this upcomming weekend where we will record the drums for our next full length album: Woods 3 - "The Deepest Roots and Darkest Blues".

'Woods 3' will be recorded as a 3 piece:
David Gold - drums, guitars, vocals
Dan Hulse - bass, vocals, recording engineer
Jessica Rose - keys

+ We also expect to be including a variety of guest musicians for particular songs. More info TBA.

Both Winter and Ontario themed, the album will be 15 tracks, totalling over 60 minutes of intense black & doom in the vein of the next logical step from 2002's "Against the Seasons: Cold Winter Songs from the Dead Summer Heat".

Some Song titles:
End of Tradition
Iron Grudge
The Northern Cold
Your Ontario Town is a Burial Ground
Years of Silence (the Private Joke)
Death is a Tease
To Lock Eyes with a Wild Beast...

'Woods 3' will be released by Krankenhaus Records in Canada. Expect an Autumn 2006 release. We'll keep you posted!

Thanks as always for the support!

David, Dan, Jessica - \w/

woodsofypres@hotmail.com

:)

Cool, can't wait! Strange that it is the next logical step from the ep rather than the last album.

...And they turned out awesome! Here are some pics of the weekend...

001.jpg

"Enlightened by Darkness". Earlier in the week, back at the Woods loft in the distillery district, downtown Toronto where I was rehearsing.

002.jpg

The rented Pearl Masters Custom set up in the loft (they told us it was the same one used at the "Day of the Equinox" show , but I'm not sure that it is...either way, it sounded HUGE!!!).

003.jpg

New skins + Sabian HHX branding x 5!!!!!

Pearl Masters Custom
22" Kick w/ Remo Ebony Skin
12" Tom 1 w/ Remo Pinstripe Skin
14" Tom 2 w/ Remo Pinstripe Skin
16" Floor Tom w/ Remo Pinstripe Skin
14" Snare w/ Remo EMPEROR X, coated black dot top

Pearl PT-100 double bass pedals

Sabian Cymbals
14" HHX Power Hats
16" HHX Power Crash
18" HHX Stage Crash
18" HHX Heavy Chinese
22" Sabian 'Unknown Artist' Signature Series with a n-ice, big, loud bell
(borrowed from our good friend Paul :kickass: ).

Roland TD-12 Drum Module
top_M.jpg

Roland RT-5S Snare & RT-7K Kick Triggers
top_S.jpg

top_S.jpg

004.jpg

The grim alley behind Chemical Sound.

005.jpg

The console at Chemical Sound.

008.jpg

Drums!

007.jpg

Drums!!

006.jpg

...and more drums!!!

We wish there were more pictures but Dan Hulse and I + Dean (the engineer @ Chemical) were pretty busy the whole weekend actually tracking drums and trying to get them all done in time. We had to get 15 songs done, at a total of almost 70 minutes of music, in two days, including set up, tear down and file transfers at the end. Needless to say, it was a tense and intense weekend (!!!) but the performances also came out really intense and passionate and I'll say that I'm really proud of what we did.

Since moving WoY into the loft last summer, I made a goal to really put some time into the drums for "Woods 3" and try to add new dimensions to my playing, while still complimenting the songwriting. Since last year, I spent many nights after work rehearsing the songs over and over again to a click track, locking in the blasts and adding "treats" everywhere else to make the songs as interesting and dynamic as possible. The final result is of both the added musically and brutallity of the new songs!!! Though there are a few "Doom-Ballads" as usual, "Woods 3" will turn out to be by far more aggressive than any of our previous works. Get ready for some headbang inducing black-thrash-black!!! It's exciting stuff and I think people will really be impressed...even the 'nay-sayers'. :p

Maybe Dan Hulse will fill us in on some of the technical specs of this weekends recording.

On to guitars next!!!

Looking good Dave. Sounds like the new album is going to be a monster!
Keep hittin us with these little updates and pictures as the album progresses.

And nothing wrong with some doom ballads..... Love the doom ballads. :kickass:

This is going to be a strong year for Canadian Metal! :headbang:

The drum tracks turned out pretty damn killer! We recorded through the vintage API console pictured above. (which was rumoured to have been Alice Cooper's console) Anyhow, we utilized all sorts of really cool vintage and modern equipment.... Anything from a 1940's ribbon microphone right up to a modern protools tdm system. The rest of the tracks will be recorded in my project studio. We'll try and post several pictures from each phase of production. :headbang:

I'm getting the destinct feeling that this will kick so much ass! :D

Nice beard there Dave! :D

.:crast:.

I don't want to start any new threads so I'll just ask the question here, but I'm not sure if you'll ever get it. I see you play a Gibson guitar (or at least in one of the pictures above there is an SG), and i was just wondering what your prefered guitar(s) are. I've played an SG before, my friend has one and they play really smooth I find. But I was just wondering about your thoughts on a guitar.

I don't want to start any new threads so I'll just ask the question here, but I'm not sure if you'll ever get it. I see you play a Gibson guitar (or at least in one of the pictures above there is an SG), and i was just wondering what your prefered guitar(s) are. I've played an SG before, my friend has one and they play really smooth I find. But I was just wondering about your thoughts on a guitar.

For what we're doing right now, I swear by my Gibson SG!!! In Woods, we play everything from single string black metal riffs to huge doom to open chords and folk-ish stuff and I feel I can do it all comfortably with my SG. It's a nice hybrid, really. It is very different from a "shredder-metal" guitar because the SG has a n-ice big fat neck, but it does play very smooth and in my mind, is the perfect guitar for a band playing both organic "black" and "doom". Plus, we tune down to C# standard and it always stays in tune, even when I play the hell out of it! :kickass:

I also own a B.C. Rich NJ Series Warlock which I wrote the first two Woods albums on, but overall, I much prefer my SG for overall playability. + It's nice and light, it looks cool and mine comes in a n-ice dirt brown wood finish.

Endorsed! :)

David Gold said:
...it looks cool and mine comes in a n-ice dirt brown wood finish.
Methinks David likes dirt/wood/earth tone colours. ;-)
Right up!

This is a cool thread and it's nice to see the behind the scenes and in the works shots. Keep on trucking, I'd say.

Dan Hulse, Jessica and I just did promo photos for "Woods 3" a few weekends ago in mid-Northern Ontario with the great, Canadian, Mark Coatsworth ( Check out this fucking guys' new site - > www.markcoatsworth.com ...PS...I'm hidden on there somewhere!)!

We went to shoot at four locations: in a green and brown 'Lord of the Rings-ish' Ontario Forest (in the morning), on the very cold and frozen 'Lake Simcoe' (in the afternoon, which look very misty, and Enslaved-esque), on a green field at the edge of a forest, in front of a deep blue sky (at dusk) and lastly inside a cottage (at night), drinking steins.

I will say that the results we got are awesome! Mark never ceases to amaze us with both his brilliant camera work and also his easy going coolness as an overall good human being! There were lots of photos to go through...Mark and I started going though them late last night over some delicious steins (burp!)...but we will post some samples soon!

btw - We look like a 'metal' band. Spread the word. :)