the recordings begin

nat0

Sep 6, 2008

It’s been a busy time lately and the hard work has finally paid off. We have now thirteen songs in the bag and hey, that means the recording of our new album can and shall begin. We’re starting with the drums on Monday and we’ll be once again work together with David Castillo (who engineered and mixed ‘Night Is The New Day’), so even though we always strive to improve our productions, it should sound sweet that it’s the same team putting this one together, just throw in some new gear, gadgets and toys with that! The recordings as well as the mix will be divided between Ghostward and our own HQ over the next month and we’ll keep you posted on the progress.

So, how does the material sound like? Well, you got the lush textures, the moody melodies, the heavy parts, the progressive touches, the mellow bits and so on… Is it metal? Is it rock? Is it alternative? Is it singer/songwriter? Actually at times it feels like we’re exploring territories where Katatonia would be an orphan in the land of “genres”. We can’t tell where and to whom we belong and the goal is that it doesn’t even matter, because before and above any genre there’s first an acceptance level of music being good, or being bad. Katatonia might be bad people, but we create good music. Amen.

We also hooked up again with keyboard maestro extraordinaire Frank Default and regardless of the internet speculations, he’s not to “blame” for the increased use of electronics since the last album. That part has been called for as we simply feel that it has grown to fill a hole in our sound inside, or alongside, the classic formation of instruments. In our world, we allow mellotrones, hammonds, rhodes and strings to integrate with loops, distortion and filters to manifest in the katatonic maelstrom. It’s our time to marry contemporary with vintage. Here’s our 9th album to be delivered!

For those without failbook:

There's a 29s video on facebook where Daniel proofs they are really doing shit. :D

So far one track is nailed.

I don't know, I am a firm believer in not fixing what is not broken. I felt like Katatonia perfected their style on TGCD and NITND. I felt there was enough that set those two albums distinctly apart from each other (save for maybe Jonas's vocals but I can't imagine much else he could do with his voice unless he tries to pick up yodeling?) But I would be disappointed if they left that style in favor of doing something new that didn't turn out near as well. I can't count how many times bands have changed their styles only for the sake of "growing" and completely destroyed everything that made me love their sound. I'd much rather see bands stick to what they are good at through natural evolution, rather than forcing unnatural change just to be able to say "it's different!". If I want different styles, then I know which bands to look for to get them. With Katatonia I know I can get beautiful guitar melodies, soothing/solemn vocals and brooding atmosphere that no other band can match. It's what Katatonia does best and it is all I want from them. If I want to hear power metal songs about vikings slaying dragons, I sure as Hell do NOT want to ever hear it coming from Katatonia.

Better to see a band at least attempt something fresh and fall flat on their face, rather than play it safe.

With a few experimental songs, sure. But when an entire album is a major change, it's a big risk to take and when that move doesn't work, I, myself at least, do not forgive easily unless the follow-up redeems the band in question. I am glad I was not interested in Katatonia back in their DODS/BMD days, because if I was, I would have been outraged with what they became afterwards. As in all things, sometimes changes work, but more often they do not. Luckily, that was one of the very rare times that I believe a change that drastic was an immensely positive one. Because I know far more bands who have crashed and burned from changing even half as much as Katatonia did, and I was actually somewhat glad to watch them burn.

WAT?! Kind of the same? :err:
Do not agree.

Do you see a difference as much as you can see between LFDGD and Viva Emptiness? OR between Brave Murder Day and Discouraged Ones? I do not. Now that is real change. NITND and TGCD are of course not the same albums, but they are kind of in the same direction. I am talking more feelingwise. Otherwise I can see there are more keys and electronics in the album, that does not make it so much different for me though...

I just hope they keep the fresh electronic sound and don't fall too much into the progressive vein of instruments, cause I've had enough of it.

I hope they make it a bit more surprising musically this time. With that I mean I hope they make great melodies, heavy and dark, but also hope the songs take surprising turns. Love the sudden etheral parts and heaviness smashing through..the ghostly atmosphere is a must. The only problem I had with the last album was that it became a bit predictable. The songswriting was tight, but too many of the songs had too little..breathing time..air..don't know how to explain it, but I often need the song to have some surprising parts..like the drummer taking over a bit, cool bass line...vocal effects fun. Liberation is a good example of a song which took some great turns and got back on track again. Hope Daniel gets some fun drumming parts...groovy dark bass lines..cool eerie vocal effects and..fresh electonic trip hop parts here and there.

Katatonia will do a great job no matter what though. i agree there. I can only hope for this and that.

There is an update video in facebook account of Katatonia. So what do you think about the badass solo in the beginning of the video. It seems the things might turn a bit different this time and I like this idea ;)

BTW since Per records guitars for the album I think he is a full time member now. And it is a bit weird that Anders does not record the guitars. Or maybe Per is only responsible for shredding... I don't know, kind of confusing :)

The shredding was a surprise. Hopefully it's done with care and won't be used on every song. I love the classic shred just like my fellow metalhead but Katatonia's music has always been fine without it.