the recordings begin

the shred was just wankery for the video nothing that will actually end up on the final product.

I do not like shredding most of the time, only when it's used at the right time, not always, but it just made me feel good to see that they try out new things... I don't know if it will fit or not we will see. But I am sure that they will not use it in every song.

I hope this time Katatonia surprises us, TGCD and NITND were kind of in the same vein, a change is what I need.

You nailed it. Yesterday I listened to NITND and LFDGD and realized I don't really like NITND. Katatonia progresses in sound, but not in music and atmospere IMHO(don't kill me!) Emotional charge of Tonight's Decision, LFDGD and VE is more powerful, then the one on TGCD and NITND :err:

hmm...opinions, much like assholes everyone's got em'.

I always thought Tonight's Decision, LFDGD, and Discouraged One's were in the same vein, seemed like the same approach to song writing. But out of the three I feel like their first attempt at that song writing style was their best, so Discouraged One's beats the other two out.

Shredding can be fine if used properly. The clip sounded great to me with the crushing riff behind the solo. I don't think anyone really knows if that will be on the album, ir if he was just jamming, but we'll see :D. I am always fine with Katatonia trying something new, but I woudl like to see some new avenues explored combined with some of the bigger, catchier choruses that were not too prevalent on NITND.

Regarding the recent posts, I would say my favorite Katatonia Lp's are For Funerals to Come, Discouraged Ones, Viva Emptiness, and The Great Cold Distance. I know, LFGGD is awesome, but there are some songs on there I don't care for.

For whatever reason, I find LFDGD and NITND a bit too depressing to listen to regularly, but the good songs on both Lp's are just incredible. Probably a strange statement coming from a Katatonia fan though.

Really? Hmm, I always felt 'Forsaker', 'Idle Blood', 'Onward Into Battle', 'Liberation', 'The Promise Of Deceit' and 'Ashen' had some of the catchiest, most infectious/melodic choruses from any Katatonia song. Whenever I introduce Katatonia to new people (particularly those like me who are not necessarily big into the metal scene) those are always the songs I concentrate on (and sometimes 'My Twin' and 'In The White') because I feel that they stand the greatest chance of being memorable and appealing to fans of more mainstream sounding rock who rely more on the chorus hooks. And while I now have become quite fond of their 4 previous albums before TGCD, I never start anyone off with songs from those earlier cds, just because the vocals were not as solid/perfected (to me) as they were on everything Jonas has put his voice on since TGCD (including the songs he did guest spots for in Long Distance Calling, Ayreon, Swallow The Sun and even Pantheon I).

I'd definitely be most intrigued by an entirely new direction. Although I wouldn't mind hearing the return of catchy choruses, power behind the vocals, and those signature leads that were all lacking from the last two records.

Really? Hmm, I always felt 'Forsaker', 'Idle Blood', 'Onward Into Battle', 'Liberation', 'The Promise Of Deceit' and 'Ashen' had some of the catchiest, most infectious/melodic choruses from any Katatonia song. Whenever I introduce Katatonia to new people (particularly those like me who are not necessarily big into the metal scene) those are always the songs I concentrate on (and sometimes 'My Twin' and 'In The White') because I feel that they stand the greatest chance of being memorable and appealing to fans of more mainstream sounding rock who rely more on the chorus hooks. And while I now have become quite fond of their 4 previous albums before TGCD, I never start anyone off with songs from those earlier cds, just because the vocals were not as solid/perfected (to me) as they were on everything Jonas has put his voice on since TGCD (including the songs he did guest spots for in Long Distance Calling, Ayreon, Swallow The Sun and even Pantheon I).

I totally agree that Jonas is a better singer now,no doubt about it! But I don't think that the choruses from Forsaker and Promise Of Deceit are catchy at all! The other songs you mentioned have very memorable choruses.

I could take 3 songs of off LFDGD though (Teargas, Tonight's Music, and Sweet Nurse) and say that those are catchier than anything on NITND. Just my opinion of course. So while Jonas is a technically a better singer now, I don't always feel that the vocal melodies themselves are as good.