The Return of True Metal - a myth or reality?

Any ways, METAL is back on the rise.

Screw Dickenson and the rest of the "geriatric metal" of the day.

The progressive stuff seems to be gathering a lot of momentum here in the California Bay Area, but that's not my thing.

Death Metal and Thrash are coming back into fashion, except many of the people don't pit.

NU Metal is on it's way out here. Still "popular", but I see more hard core shirts than I've seen in a while.

There's a LOT of new Death, Black, and Thrash coming into the scene, and lots of older bands have started playing again.

Exodus and Vio-Lence are back together and playing shows. Dragonlord is new.

A lot of the older bands are coming out with new material or have just released, Testament, Kreator, Malevolent Creation.

Newer bands:
Arch-Enemy, Nile, Iniquity, Pig Destroyer

And a LOT of stuff I'm either not into, or don't know about...

Metal is far from dead. I'd actually say it's coming back.

SHRED IS NOT DEAD!

"geriatric metal"?!

It's the so-called 'geriatric metal' that made metal today what it is. I'll agree that unfortunately a lot of the metal bands who have been around a while are seemingly more concerned with money than making a good album but it's people like Bruce Dickinson who made the younger bands want to be in a band in the first place. You can look at any type of metal and find places that are obviously influenced by Maiden, Sabbath, Priest etc..

I saw Priest last year in Australia and they are still as true as ever as a live band. Black leather, long hair, synchronized guitar rocking, the duelling solos, the power screams.... that was the most "metal" show I've ever seen and had more power and metal spirit than any newer metal band could, for instance the 82639544 power metal clones and all the death/black metal bands. I think the only band who could put on a show these days with more true metal spirit than Priest would be Manowar.

This all seems to have no point to it I know, I just wanted to reminisce about how cool Priest was lol, but the moral of the story is that just because a band is old doesn't mean they can't still rock, and no matter what age they are, most of the old bands who shaped the metal sound are still doing it better than the new bands who are cloning them in my opinion.

Originally posted by The Trooper
I saw Priest last year in Australia and they are still as true as ever as a live band. Black leather, long hair, synchronized guitar rocking, the duelling solos, the power screams.... that was the most "metal" show I've ever seen and had more power and metal spirit than any newer metal band could, for instance the 82639544 power metal clones and all the death/black metal bands. I think the only band who could put on a show these days with more true metal spirit than Priest would be Manowar.

This all seems to have no point to it I know, I just wanted to reminisce about how cool Priest was lol, but the moral of the story is that just because a band is old doesn't mean they can't still rock, and no matter what age they are, most of the old bands who shaped the metal sound are still doing it better than the new bands who are cloning them in my opinion.
You are right. I saw Priest last summer and they were the real priests of metal. But i saw Manowar in 92 and 93, i think and they sucked elephant cock!

But recently i got the chance to c live OMEN and some months before that BROCAS HELM. They both kicked ass. Let alone Candlemass about 1,5 months ago. Candlemass was special. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

It's the so-called 'geriatric metal' that made metal today what it is. I'll agree that unfortunately a lot of the metal bands who have been around a while are seemingly more concerned with money than making a good album but it's people like Bruce Dickinson who made the younger bands want to be in a band in the first place. You can look at any type of metal and find places that are obviously influenced by Maiden, Sabbath, Priest etc..

It's also many of these band's fault that metal died in the first place.

The endless ballads, the gay outfits, and the desire to change to keep their airplay stats consistent.

Metal didn't decline because of the music itself, but because of the attitudes of many of those 80's bands.

Endless ballads from Maiden, Priest and Sabbath? I don't think so....

The glam/hair bands had lots of ballads, not those ones.

Originally posted by xenophobe

It's also many of these band's fault that metal died in the first place.

The endless ballads, the gay outfits, and the desire to change to keep their airplay stats consistent.

Metal didn't decline because of the music itself, but because of the attitudes of many of those 80's bands.

No I think your wrong...the so called fans are just as much to blame for the decline in metal being the forefront of music as it was in the 80's.If we don't buy the albums then the record companies choose to dump the artist as quick as a fart after a curry banquet! Bands come and go and the record companies don't care what it is as long as it makes money!
Metal just like all styles of music will never die as the evolution of technology etc keeps new things comming all the time it is up to the fans to continue to support whom ever and what ever they please. Yes YOU are responsible for your favourite band no longer being signed to a label as much as the constant need for burecrates to merge company after company.
Stand and be counted for what you believe to be right!
You may not like what was produced from these bands you speak of but I am sure there is other forms of metal you would hate to see to be ridiculed in the way you just did to what a lot of people on this forum love!

Oh I forgot to say, ballads didn't make metal die in the early '90s anyway, ballads were a big part of what allowed metal to achieve mainstream popularity.

Also, as JonBonJovi just said... it was partly the so called fans fault. Because metal was popular back then (and I wish it was now so we could get big arena metal shows again and see it on TV), alot of posers bought metal records during that time and then when they all jumped onto the next big trend (grunge), record companies didn't want anything to do with metal anymore. Metal has been a "dirty word" in the music industry ever since. No major record company will sign a band who calls themself heavy metal even now. That's why bands like Motley Crue and Metallica ended up saying in the mid-90s "We don't like to be considered a metal band" and stuff.

Heheheh.

If all the fans were like us and listen to what they listen to because they genuinely love it rather than because it is on TV and their friends are listening to it, the world would be a happier place!