The Return of True Metal - a myth or reality?

I am a little confused about where the metal scene is going. I think it has hit rock-bottom with all of these NU metal bands out there making a total mockery of Metal. But then -mostly in Europe ( all Hail) there are some great bands arising from the dark depths of the lost scene". they actually are incorporating the old school sound and compositions into their work- its really hard sometimes to tell what era these bands are from. And then bands like Iced Earth (who can do no wrong) are obviously newish are trying to put old school " into their productions and succeed with every attempt!! I am not really into where the scene is at- I have faced the demise of the mainstream metal scene. I have realized that only the true remain and they are very few and far apart. So, I stick to discovering bands and talking to a select few.In essence it isnt really that important where Metal goes from here..its about where it has been and where it can take you on a personal level. Even though a small part of me would be overjoyed if real metal made a come back and began ruling the planet again... its kind of nice to sit back in the obscurity of it all and know that you are apart of something total alive that most have passed off for :dead:
We are the Dying Breed- hails one and all
(sorry so long but im new at this nad had a lot to say haha

Metal in America is horrible, at least when you get into the Nu Metal bullshit scene. There are some good American death metal bands, but most true great metal bands are in Europe.

Metal will never die, but it will continue to be infected with poison known as "the poseur genre", hence Nu Metal.

Anyone who says that metal is "Dead" is a fuckin' twat!

Yeah most of the metal in the states isn't that impressive.The Europe scene is pretty interesting.What I like about it is the distinct sound.I like how many of the European bands add a classical influence to their music.Opeth,Emperor,King Diamond,Helloween.Probably alot I don't even know exist's.

I have to agree with you completely on the matter of nu metal not shaping much of a direction for the metal scene. Every band sounds the same & has a gimmick now. The heart of true metal is lost in the factor of how do we market this to make money off of it. So called nu metal bands & upcoming acts need to be schooled on the roots of metal & actually develop a passion for heavy metal & stop being money grabbing posers!!!
They make me wanna :puke: Such bands are :worship: of the all mighty bands such as Iron Maiden!!!!
Whimps & posers leave the hall!! \m/

Nuff said!! Hail Hail!! Long live the true Metal Warriors who carry the torch for the posers who fail!!! You know who you are!

I remember about two years ago, I was expecting a mass-revival of true metal. I hadn't been into the genre for long, but it was clear that bands that weren't my cup of tea were holding the reigns. But at the same time, the press were waxing lyrical about new albums by AC/DC, Blaze, Iron Maiden, Halford etc..., how these were supposed to be the best Metal albums in ages. And with hindsight, bar Stiff Upper Lip I certainly agree! And at the time I was thinking, "Well, looks like we'll be ruling the roost in due copurse..."

And now? Little has changed. Nu-metal :puke: is still the fashion...and underground live gigs still suck compared to the others I've been to ;) I suspect the underground is the place to find bands who actually play Metal - not round my area, sure, but other places....I guess if we work hard we shall reap what we sow! :headbang:

Metal never died in the underground and never will.

It's just been removed from the mainstream now since grunge came along in the early '90s.

Metal is far from dead, and there are a lot of "TRUE" Metal bands out there, many of them new. You just have to dig around a bit to find them. The popularity of old school Metal is dead in the States, and likely will not return, at least in it's past incarnation.

Most of the TRUE Metal today is found in Europe. Most of it doesn't sound exactly like 80's Metal, but it is profoundly influenced by it. The whole Power Metal craze takes it most of its influence from the early Helloween albums, and a lot of bands have been adding symphonic elements to it. A lot of it sounds the same, and some of it is uninspired. But many of the bands are really good, and it is true, righteous Metal.

An interesting development is how Black and Death Metal have evolved over time to include melodic and progressive influences and overtones. I was not into either back in the old days since most of it sounded like 15 year olds bashing away in a trash can. However, many of the bands today can really fucking play, and they utilize outstanding production to highlight their sound. You have to develop an ear for growly vocals, which isn't always easy to do. But if you can get past that, and really focus on the music, the vocals can get better. At best, the growled vocals add a cool atmosphere to the music.

I was into Metal in a huge way most of the '80's. I drifted away, and came back about a year or two ago. I've been playing catch up ever since. But much to my surprise, I have found quite a few incredible new bands that blow me away as much as any of the old stuff. You just gotta look for it. And to me, that is half the fun...

Peace,
Ulf

I hear so many times that people say there isn´t good Metal in the US but I can name several US Bands that kick major ass: VYNDYCATOR, JAG PANZER, STEEL PROPHET, POWERS COURT, MANILLA ROAD, GOTHIC KNIGHTS, TWISTED TOWER DIRE, IMAGIKA, DECEASED, OCTOBER 31, GREY SKIES FALLEN, etc, etc... I think people have become lazy and expect everything handed to them but Metal isn´t like that... it is something you need to actively and enthusiasticaly search out and explore.

Metal is better than ever.I was in the punk thing, and I always got grief for liking so much metal.Now metal is the strongest underground we have.For punk we have Sum 41 and Greenday.There's some underground punk that's good,but it's mostly crossover metal/grind stuff.I've seen more brutal death bands,and better string slingin' dark metal artists now than ever.
"Nu Metal"today,is just like Vixen and Kip Winger of yesterday,dig?

Originally posted by AngelWitch73
I hear so many times that people say there isn´t good Metal in the US but I can name several US Bands that kick major ass: VYNDYCATOR, JAG PANZER, STEEL PROPHET, POWERS COURT, MANILLA ROAD, GOTHIC KNIGHTS, TWISTED TOWER DIRE, IMAGIKA, DECEASED, OCTOBER 31, GREY SKIES FALLEN, etc, etc... I think people have become lazy and expect everything handed to them but Metal isn´t like that... it is something you need to actively and enthusiasticaly search out and explore.

You said it dude! There are a ton of OUTSTANDING US Metal bands, you just have to look for them. You can buy a boatload of US Metal from places like Sentinel Steel and Molten Metal. Check it out!

Sentinel Steel

Molten Metal

Originally posted by Jonny Streety
Metal is better than ever.I was in the punk thing, and I always got grief for liking so much metal.Now metal is the strongest underground we have.For punk we have Sum 41 and Greenday.There's some underground punk that's good,but it's mostly crossover metal/grind stuff.I've seen more brutal death bands,and better string slingin' dark metal artists now than ever.
"Nu Metal"today,is just like Vixen and Kip Winger of yesterday,dig?

Vixen and Winger shit on nu-metal though :D

LONG LIVE GLAM!!!!! :headbang:

As a Metal-Head; I never Consider that Metal will die anytime soon. But i hate it to be totally comercialized and hence destroying the essense of Metal. Bands such as Cradle of Filth and Metallica destroy the name of Heavy Metal. However, To the other bands From Finland, From Sweden, From Germany, From Greece. HAIL METAL!

WE ROCK! - DIO

I agree with you BigBoss - Metal will never die.. no matter how many Metallicas and COFs there are. It doesnt matter what mainstreamers think of metal anyway.We all know what metal is- so let them bring out the NU-poseur metal bands and the sellout bands.. it doesn't matter in the end we will still be standing!!..
HAILS All

... what is true metal? And what false? Have you ever considered that? Some ppl here consider true metal bands like Dismember, The Haunted, whereas other ones have something completely different in mind (Doomsword, Cirith Ungol etc...). Who is true-er?

Do you think that the bands who play the so-called "True metal" do it because they are metalheads? Think twice... The mighty Dickinson released grunge album to make money... And now he sings for maiden again. Because he is a true metalhead.:rolleyes: Yeah, right!

I like only metal and i consider my self metalhead. But we have to realise some things arround us.

I think that the term true metal is stupid by itself though. What return? Bands like Oracle or Attika were truer than these warrior-viking-true metal ones. And they would go out and say, we play Heavy Metal... What true? That is true... How come that now everyone plays like Helstar, Manowar, Crimson Glory etc... Because this is the fashion. And fashion, in my eyes is surely NOT TRUE...