Global Warming: just a myth?

poundingmetal74

Demons Will Fly
Oct 18, 2004
Canada, eh
www.finalstage.ca
This is an excellent video that talks a lot about Al Gore's movie and how much of Man made Global Warming appears to be largely hype. It goes into a lot of the science that Al Gore neglects in his movie.
Please note: if you don't like conspiracy theories, you can ignore the last 30 minutes of the film.

[ame="http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=3069943905833454241&q=Global+Warming+or+Global+Governance&total=9&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0"]Global Warming[/ame]

On a side note: I've spent a lot of time studying this issue, the science and politics behind it, and while I'm NOT a climate scientist, one fact must be understood about global warming:

GLOBAL WARMING IS A METAPHOR for the very complexities of how oceans, the sun, dry land, and a host of other factors that interact to give us the weather than we experience.

nearly all credible scientists that humanity has exacerbated the consequences of global warming.
WRONG. As you'll see in the film, in 2003 nearly all of the world's climatologists were polled and ONLY 56% actually agree that it is happening, and only 44% believe that the science is sound enough to base policy on it.

Watch the documentary. The first half is about the SCIENCE of global warming.

And what is debatable is MAN MADE global warming - meaning our cars, factories etc. are causing the earth to warm up. I'm not debating that the earth IS warming - it is. The question is why.

I'm sorry, but I think that the international scientific community is more reliable on this issue than some nut on the internet. I've seen a few of these videos before, I don't think I need to see another one.

Necuratul, science is not a matter consensus. That the majority of scientists seem to agree with Al Gore means nothing. Its scientifically tested data that will decide the debate.

At this moment it seems that the temperature on earth is warming but so are the temperatures on Mars.

If that points to a correlation the warming up of the earth may not be caused by humans. Whats important at this moment however is that nothing has been proven.

There are a lot of reputable scientist that doubt the hypothesis that global warming is man made or that it will lead to death and destruction.

Although I do understand there should be way better measures to protect Earth's nature, I do not believe global warming is caused by humans solely. I wanna see a board of famous scientist explaining that if it is so (and not a politician please). This won't happen as there is no, or very little proof that links human behaviour to cause global warming.
On the other hand it IS known that the sun had more activity (like sun bursts) past years, wich defenitely could warm up planets.

As said; I really would like to see much more nature friendly power sources used, I'm sure there for instance already are other ways to power cars, but it's the same politicians that warn you for the global warming that have interests in the oil business. Weapons of Mass destruction... Global Warming... Give the masses some games and they keep quit...

The icecaps are melting, fast. We are putting far too much carbon monoxide/dioxide into the atmosphere. The science is very basic. It has to absorb somewhere...if it doesn't, then it stays in the air and causes the greenhouse effect. I do think more and more scientists are coming on board. I'm not activist, but I am truly worried about this issue, and I think others should be as well. We are on the border of serious trouble.

Further, I'm not conspiracy theorist, but I'll take a wild guess and say that, "Sovereignty International," is either 1. "Some nut on the internet," as Necuratal puts it," or 2. sponsored by Chevron or some other oil company.

The icecaps are melting, fast. We are putting far too much carbon monoxide/dioxide into the atmosphere. The science is very basic. It has to absorb somewhere...if it doesn't, then it stays in the air and causes the greenhouse effect. I do think more and more scientists are coming on board. I'm not activist, but I am truly worried about this issue, and I think others should be as well. We are on the border of serious trouble.

Dude, watch the video. It reputes a lot of what you said, and most of what global warming activists are saying.

I used to strongly believe in man-made global warming and that we had to use Kyoto and other measures to stop it at all costs. If you do a lot of reading and examine some of the scientific literature on the matter, you'll come to see it's a VERY unsettled science.

That said, I strongly believe in finding alternative sources for fuel and energy. Most of the world's oil producing countries have hit peak oil and most experts believe the world will hit it very soon.

Why the hell is this in the old school forum?

Poundingmetal: stop hiding behind this video.

Why the hell is this in the old school forum?

Poundingmetal: stop hiding behind this video.

Because it is. We like our forum the way it is, Brandon is a fine poster and a respected member of our community he can post whatever he wants off topic.

Now into the topic, I'm a scientist I DO believe in global warming and pollution effects in the atmosphere and world waters. I do believe is man's action over the planet that has triggered and exacerbated the change independently if the weather in the planet has suffered this type of changes in the past.

NP: Waterclime - 'Body Migrated'

Scientists have already documented that Earth, through it's millions and millions of years of existence, has always been in a state of flux. What once was oceans are now deserts, and deserts now oceans. There was once an Ice Age where most of the planet was covered in ice. I'll bet there was some major global warming going on after that to get the earth to where it is today.

My point being, the Earth was heating up and icing over long before man ever started polluting the air.

I'm not saying that we should keep pumping poisons into the air, or gobbling up the world's fossil fuels like a Thanksgiving turkey, but the reasons for finding alternative energy sources has little to do with global warming, IMO.

Scientists have already documented that Earth, through it's millions and millions of years of existence, has always been in a state of flux. What once was oceans are now deserts, and deserts now oceans. There was once an Ice Age where most of the planet was covered in ice. I'll bet there was some major global warming going on after that to get the earth to where it is today.

My point being, the Earth was heating up and icing over long before man ever started polluting the air.

I'm not saying that we should keep pumping poisons into the air, or gobbling up the world's fossil fuels like a Thanksgiving turkey, but the reasons for finding alternative energy sources has little to do with global warming, IMO.

EXACTLY.

For one to believe that such climate change is not taking place in the year two-thousand and goddamn seven is just incredible.

Well said, TSO.

Thanks for ignoring my rebuttal. You can't just acknowledge the existence of only things that you agree with. I think TSO's post was largely missing the point.

Actually, his post hit home with the point I was trying to bring across.

Humanity is by far the worst thing that has ever happened to this planet. We are a virus.

Worse than the comet that killed all the dinosaurs? Or the Ice Age? Our record isn't perfect, but we're hardly the absolute worst thing that's happened to the planet.

The need for new alternative energy sources has nothing to do with global warming, but rather the limited amount of energy sources that we now possess.

You people seem to be arguing that, because the temperature of the earth has fluctuated throughout the millions and millions of years of its history, that the human factor is irrelevant. How many of you have actually kept an eye on the issue here and how many of you are being swayed by videos on youtube? Look up the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and see what they have to say. Whether or not the human factor is the sole or even primary cause for the current global trend of rising temperatures is largely irrelevant if we are part of the equation at all, and it does appear to be the case that we are part of the equation, that we are contributing to global warming and that we can minimize the impact that we have on such a change.

However, even regardless of global warming, we should still be more proactive and conscientious of the damages that we are causing to the world in which we live anyway. Humanity is by far the worst thing that has ever happened to this planet. We are a virus.

:kickass: I support your views totally, we are the disease of this planet. And finding alternative energy sources is also a way to free ourselves from the imperialistic OPEC. I give my soul to see Chavez and the Arabs eating their oil when the world send them to hell.

I read a study where the projected landmass required to sustain bioethanol crops would be double that of the current world agricultural acerage. Of course we don't need 100% of our fuel to be ethanol. I read another study that suggested the landmass of useless grassland between highway medians could be used to produce a significant quantity of fuel source. A few years ago a researcher at Stanford University invented a type of yeast that processes cellulose as well as sugars.

Ethanol from corn requires a very energy intensive process to convert the cellulose to fermentable sugars, so intensive in fact that ethanol from corn is deemed by many scientists to be uneconomical. Most of the corn cellulose then becomes fuel to fire the boilers that produce the steam that cracks the rest of the cellulose. It is awfully expensive to harvest corn just so it can be burned. This new yeast does the job of eating the cellulose and producing alcohol. This has the effect of quadrupling the amount of fermentable material with no additional cost. Since we are now hovering at the breakeven point, increasing the amount of ethanol so much makes it a clear winner.

Other innovations like clean coal technology that use decarbonization and sequesterization to seal away all the CO2 could supplant vast amounts of oil. Wind and solar power should undergo significant improvements over the next 20 years as well. Combining all of these resources together all we need to do is replace the 60% of our oil that comes from foreign sources, the other 40% we can supply ourselves.

Fusion technology has always been 20 years away. 20 years ago they said we would have it in 20 years, every year since then it was always 20 years away. Today it is still 20 years away. See the trend? Some scientists are beginning to realize maybe fusion power is beyond our grasp, at least during the 21st century. I would not count on fusion power within any of our lifetimes. There is one ray of hope, a hybrid fission-fusion reactor that promises to increase nuclear reactor outputs tremendously. It's not sustained fusion, but it's better than fission. We may see this within 20 years.

I read some rather fun stuff about the "fuel of the future", Hydrogen.

There is more hydrogen in a litre of petrol than in a litre of hydrogen, whether it is gaseous or liquid, or even slush!

There is no known way of making hydrogen that is even vaguely efficient, meaning that to make it uses up a lot more energy than you get back from burning it. Partly, this is because you are splitting the hydrogen and oxygen apart from water, which is, after all, the ash left behind from burning hydrogen and oxygen! So you get losses all the way though the system!

Hydrogen tanks explode in a really impressive way... Could provide me with some entertainment, I like explosions.

Suffice to say, we won't be using hydrogen as a replacement any time soon, unless we get to the bottom of photosynthesis, and grow ourselves plants that give off hydrogen gas. Currently, Hydrogen looks more like the "fool of the future"...

On the other hand...

Biomass is big bowl of bullshit. People think it's environmentally friendly because it has "bio" in front of it.

The real facts:

Biomass is natural waste, eg wood chips, dead vegetation, etc. This usually has been decomposing a bit already, during which it already released NH3, H2S and CO2 into the atmosphere. When burnt, this will results in less carbondioxide emission per kg of biomass...BUT the actual amount of CO2 produced per kWh of electricity is actually more!

Damn, biologists, they're so full of bull. Recently I heard a biologist claim that we should log the rainforest because it produces as much carbondioxide as it absorbed. Well, well, didn't someone just disprove the law of mass conservation, because wood can apparently be made out of nothing but photons.

Another nitwit added to that that we should destroy coral reefs, because they're CaCO3, which would then release 3 moles of oxygen gas!

As far as "global warming" is concerned, as long as people like Al Gore, and Michael Moore are even remotely alive, I will remain agnostic to the situation.

AND, as many have said before only to go ignored.

The planet is fine, the people are fucked. The planet was here before we were, and will be here long after we're gone.