The giant hole in the Ozone layer? It's a good thing!

EricT

Don't you ever get...
Aug 25, 2005
Lost In Necropolis
Yeah, its odd, but it seems to be another one of those manners in which the planet is taking care of itself:

http://io9.com/5016116/repairing-the-ozone-hole-speeds-global-warming

A vast hole in Earth's ozone layer yawns open every summer over Antarctica. Since atmospheric ozone shields us from a lot of ultraviolet radiation, losing it means a lot more mutations. But as bad as that sounds, repairing the hole could mean destroying the planet. Now scientists from Columbia University have discovered that the ozone hole is actually keeping the antarctic cold, slowing the erosion of ice sheets like the Larsen Ice Shelf (pictured), which began to crumble this year due to elevated temperatures. It could be that the hole is all that stands between us and a completely melted south pole.

When the ozone hole is finally closed in about 60 years, thanks to environmental protection laws forbidding emissions that thin the ozone layer, the weather will change dramatically at the pole. According to ScienceNOW:

The appearance of the ozone hole actually created a unique wind pattern called the Southern Annular Mode (SAM), which prevents warmer air from reaching Antarctica. The pattern results from two competing conditions: a cooling of the stratosphere, 12 to 50 kilometers above Earth's surface, due to the depletion of its heat-absorbing ozone layer; and a warming troposphere, which lies below the stratosphere and which has seen its temperature rise thanks to greenhouse-gas accumulation.

As the ozone hole recovers, the stratosphere will once again warm up over the Southern Hemisphere, with unpredictable effects on SAM. In the new study, an international team of researchers compared standard climate change computer models with newer versions that take atmospheric chemistry into account. The comparison showed that ozone-induced stratospheric warming could reduce the role of SAM in blocking tropical air from migrating to the pole. That's worrisome, the team says, because the wind pattern affects, among other things, the Southern Hemisphere's climate, the extent of its sea ice, the variability of its storm tracks, and its patterns of rainfall and drought.

An article about the researchers' work appears in today's edition of Science. This isn't exactly as ironic as you might think. The only reason the SAM exists is because global warming shifted cold winds from the upper atmosphere down to the lower. Basically, the weather just keeps getting more and more screwed up.

Yeah, its odd, but it seems to be another one of those manners in which the planet is taking care of itself:

I agree 100%. Not that I think everyone should buy an SUV and start doing donuts or anything, but a balance between common sense and respect for the environment is in order.

TAKE THAT, YOU FUCKING TREE HUGGERS!!!!

doesn't matter. even if the world doesn't end in 2012, (look it up if you haven't already) i'm betting the planet will be fucked before we die. lame.

doesn't matter. even if the world doesn't end in 2012, (look it up if you haven't already) i'm betting the planet will be fucked before we die. lame.

Yes, a planet millions and millions and millions of years old is going to just implode because of SUVs and hair spray, and in our lifetime, no less.

Why are we so self-absorbed to believe that our insignificant (cue Nevermore song) and infinitesimal lives actually mean anything?

Because philosophy majors annoy the hell out of everyone else by trying to reverse human nature. The human drive is based on a sense of self importance.

Yes, a planet millions and millions and millions of years old is going to just implode because of SUVs and hair spray, and in our lifetime, no less.

Why are we so self-absorbed to believe that our insignificant (cue Nevermore song) and infinitesimal lives actually mean anything?

Just cause.

Indeedy, Dead Winter. There is an assumption of our primacy in most environmental arguments. Now, I don't think we're good to our planet (and that has lots of spiritual and pragmatic consequences) but the planet will be here long after us, and will have healed quite perfectly in a fraction of its life span. We really are the 5 millionth brush stroke in a 560 billion trillion brush stroke painting.

My environmental concerns are as follows:

1) We may not have the ability to destroy the world, per se, but we can certainly do sufficient damage to doom our species, which is effectively the end of the world from a human standpoint.

2) All the species that are being hastened towards extinction represent lost opportunities for knowledge and the rewards it brings, i.e. new drugs, a better understanding of our world's history, etc.

Consider the distinct episodes of mass genocide in the past half century alone and I think we probably deserve a good extinction.

The 2012 shit better not actually be the apocalypse (if it's anything at all).

I don't want to die when I'm fucking 21 :/