The Ritual Post... - Your After Forever recommendation

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
I'm only myspace familiar with this band. What are your recommendations for albums. I'll probably only get 1, so give me the best.

Edit: I know they have a new one coming out in March.

Invisible Circles.....just try not to pay attention to the handful of annoying dialogue sections...aside from those, the album is phenomenal!
Exactly .. great disc, but the spoken dialog choices were ill advised. They wouldn't be so bad with great voice acting, but the clowns they hired to do those bits are totally inept.

Britt

Their early albums are wonderful but nothing like their current sound. Get the latest two, Invisible Circles & Reimagine.

okay i'd say... which style do you like, coz every album by them sounds different.

Prison of Desire: doom metal with soprano vox
Decipher: symphonic metal with soprano vox (indeed kinda like Epica)
Invisible Circles: Prog metal with rock vox and little soprano
Remagine: More catchy sounding songs with rock vox and little soprano.

I rly like Invisible circles :) but that's my opinion

oh, they say their new album which will be released in March will be a mix of all styles they already used...

The best thing to get would be Mea Culpa from them. It is a 2 disc set that covers their whole career. Also has some rare stuff. It is divided into the Mark Jansen era and the era after he left for your convenience. Great booklet as well comes with it. That is definitely the one to get.

My favorites are Decipher and Prison of Desire. BUT, if you want to only buy 2 CD to prepare for the fest, I would get Decipher and Remagine. Oh, and then the new one when it comes out, too :)

Prison of Desire: doom metal with soprano vox
Decipher: symphonic metal with soprano vox (indeed kinda like Epica)
Invisible Circles: Prog metal with rock vox and little soprano
Remagine: More catchy sounding songs with rock vox and little soprano.

I've only heard stuff from Remagine and it's pretty catchy but based on the above description I'll probably like all their other stuff as well. Decipher looks the most promising of their back-catalog IMO.

I also wanted to chime in on the actor voices in Invisible Circles. The woman was all right. The real problem was the male voice. He was horrible. He was a bit whiny and non-masculine. Probably the best PC way I can say it. I still love that album. I like how Floor changes her voice to fit the character. It is well done.

I also wanted to chime in on the actor voices in Invisible Circles. The woman was all right. The real problem was the male voice. He was horrible. He was a bit whiny and non-masculine. Probably the best PC way I can say it. I still love that album. I like how Floor changes her voice to fit the character. It is well done.
I'd agree with that ... the woman was passable, the male unbearable. I've heard it told before that the male role was played by the same guy (Jay Lansford) that does narration on a couple Rhapsody discs. I can't grade his performance on those discs, but on Invisble Circles he gets an F.

Here's one of his great lines.

"No !! That career is what we've worked for ... I haven't got the time to raise a brat. "

It's funnier when you hear this guy utter those words, but you know where I'm coming from.

Britt

Which CD has the least amount of cookie monster vocals on it?
Thanks
Invisble Circles has a lot of cookie on it, but they are well done, and really fit well in that storyline. This was one of the bands, along with Opeth, and a few others that go me past my dislike for harsh vocals.

Remagine has far less cookie, but it's present in probably three or four songs.

I can't recall how much beast is on the older stuff. Perhaps you should give their latest Remagine a shot, and if you like it move back to Invisble Circles, and then the older stuff. I'd figure that a lot of what they will play will come from the latest two discs.

Britt