The Roundhouse Tapes

I bought Opeth's live album today, and am currently listening to it.
I'm usually not a big fan of live albums and particuarlly when Opeth in their later stages are involved, however thus far I'm pleasently suprised. The instruments are well mixed and Akerfeldt's vocals (both his growling and his clean singing) are spot on, and it helps that there is only one song from Ghost Reveries. They're mostly older songs from the earlier period of Opeth.

Also kudos to our Camille Reginault for being present at the event :lol:

Ghost Reveries isn't that bad.

And yeah, from what i've heard it is pretty decent.. Although i can't actually remember which song they played off GR.

And one of the worst Opeth song ever is on it.. Under The Shitting Moon.

This is one I've been meaning to get around to buying. My most recent purchase was Explosions in the sky - All the sudden I miss everyone (thanks Christina!). I've heard a couple tracks from the Roundhouse tapes and thought it sounded pretty solid. Though I normally don't go for the live recordings either, Lamentations is one of the finest examples of doing it the right way. One of the best live dvd's in my humble opinion.

This is one I've been meaning to get around to buying. My most recent purchase was Explosions in the sky - All the sudden I miss everyone (thanks Christina!). I've heard a couple tracks from the Roundhouse tapes and thought it sounded pretty solid. Though I normally don't go for the live recordings either, Lamentations is one of the finest examples of doing it the right way. One of the best live dvd's in my humble opinion.

The quality of Lamentations is phenomenal, can't say the same for the set list.

I'll get the Roundhouse Tapes eventually. I just can't get too excited about a live album.

Yep, I doubt I'll even pick it up. I still really enjoy Opeth and I'm still quite fond of their early to mid material, but they've lost some of their flare. A live cd, with rehashings of previously recorded isn't going to get me to buy one of their cds, but I'll still be curious enough to see what they do with their next album and may be inclined to buy it if it's good. I still haven't bothered buying Ghost Reveries.

You hit the hammer on the nail on that one.
I'm kind of annoyed that I even bothered spending $20.00 on that

I've seen them plenty of times too and have been a fan for about 9 years now(I cannot fucking believe that). So I've heard the material plenty. I can understand why a lot of people would like the album, but from my standpoint it's not something I'd put time and money into. A DVD on the other hand might be different.

I think I read that somewhere online as well. A DVD would be much better. So yeah, just wait. Exact same thing, but with video. Fuck buying the CD and DVD. It was almost 20 bucks too? Just another way to make extra money.

Have you seen that book I have been carrying around? Here's an interesting fact:

"The music industry is one of the largest in the United States, employing hundreds of thousands of people. Album sales alone bring in $30 billion a year, and this figure doesn't even account for concert ticket sales, the thousands of bands playing Friday nights at saloons all over North America,or the thirty billion songs that were downloaded free through peer-to-peer file sharing in 2005.. Americans spend more money on music than on sex or prescription drugs."

Levitin, Daniel J. This is Your Brain on Music. New York: Plume, 2007.

So what the fuck does the RIAA have to fucking complain about? Aww boohoo they're losing their stranglehold on the music industry wah wah wah.