The Serenades Thread

Lord S

Jul 25, 2001
UK
Visit site
I've always Loved Anathema-seen them close to 30 times Live now and A Fine Day To Exit is a superb album but i just want to take a look back at 1993 and the release of Serenades.From the crunching riffs of Lovelorn Rhapsody started an amazing album.Some may not like Darrens gruff vocals but it suited that mateiral perfectly and I loved his lyrics.Sleepless,Under A Veil of Black Lace and my personal favourite Sleep In Sanity-featuring just 3 lines of vocals but just perfect-the way Vinnie and Danny play the Guitar almost like backing vocalists-the melody lines just flow through the song like a babbling stream...............Who else loves this album?

You know what?
It is the first Anathema album I've ever heard back in 1996 and I didn't like it at all.
Then I've discovered Eternity and I liked it so much I thought,
"Hell, if Eternity is so melodic and Serenades so rough, how do the transitional albums sound like?!"
Sound great, as I discovered eventually.

And Serenades? Man, I liked it 6 moths ago.
It is the longest period for me EVER to get into some album.
And it's great, I can say now.

cheerz

this happened to me too..
when i got the album and heard for the first time i said oh no ! anathema could not be that bad back then but i forced my self to hear it (in a way )because i knew i would like it and i now love this album it will always be one step ahead the sentiments stemming from this album are so pure and true that i..........

i must be different..........i loved the album then and i still do.......first saw them supporting Cannibal Corpse and above Cradle Of Filth at the marquee:)

well its £9 in HMV.I love that album:)I love what they do now but Serenades for the time was unsurpassable-those early gigs had an atmosphere unlike anything !

Ahhh Serenades, what a brilliant album!!!

I love the lyrics, the vox, the crunching intertwinning guitars, the slow but heavy drums... pure austerity.