circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
The Showdown – A Chorus of Obliteration
Mono Vs. Stereo Records – MSD72958 – November 16th, 2004
By Jason Jordan

theshowdown.jpg

When you mix Dimebag Darrell-esque leads/breakdowns, the sensibility of In Flames, a dual guitar attack, and a production helmed by Bruce Fitzhugh (ex-Living Sacrifice), you get the Christianity-toting metallers known as The Showdown. OMGWTF CRISTIANS CANT PALY METALL!!1!!111. Don’t resort to that sort of response just yet, because: A Chorus of Obliteration does present borrowed yet magnificent ideas. In other words, this album isn’t the most mind-numbing thing ever released, but it does climb high enough to garner a favorable review from yours truly.

Immediately noticeable is the solid, certifiable guitar sound. The production, courtesy of Fitzhugh, is great all around. However, at first listen, I wasn’t too ecstatic about the everyman, clean vocalizations, and I’m still not. The distorted vox aren’t too differential from other purveyors we’ve heard before, and tell me that the breakdown at the 3:30 minute mark of “A Monument Encased in Ash” isn’t reminiscent of mid-era Pantera. In fact, the aforementioned could’ve easily been lifted from Far Beyond Driven. Perusal through numbers like “Hell Can’t Stop Us Now” and “A Proclamation of Evil’s Fate,” though, exposes the clean guitar sound perhaps too much. Nevertheless, the former does unleash myriad rhythms that are very enjoyable. The melodic “Iscariot” is good, but it’s during times like the beginning of “Dolor Per Proelium (Your Name is Defeat)” that the band is at their best due to the utter heaviness conveyed. The closer – “Laid to Rest” – is just a cliché until The Showdown increase the load by pouring distortion into the mix. And, the end-of-the-world motif has been explored before but A Chorus of Obliteration does it in such a way that it’s not grating in the least.

What’s most impressive about The Showdown is that this is their debut. I suspect the metal listener will witness a lot of quality material emanating from the aforesaid troupe in the future. A Chorus of Obliteration is definitely worth its weight in…well, something.

8/10

Official The Showdown website
Official Mono Vs. Stereo Records website