The size of T-shirts

Bodylouseuk

Englishdeity
Ok, I go to a concert have a great time and want a t-shirt to remind me of great gig (buying one also helps the band as this is where they make most of their tour money). With this in mind why are all shirts at concerts XL, large if yer lucky. I saw Prong the other night all they had was XXL. I could have kept a family of hippos warm in it. What happened to medium, not all metal fans are fat lard asses, so if your in a band lets stop this sizeism.....

Well I'm not a fatass either but I do fit nicely in an XL, I just wish they picked a different color for their shirts besides black.

I'm into realizing the beauty of colors, all of them, not just one of them. That would be like listening to one band only and no new bands, pretty ignorant.

I kind of hear you on the black shirt thing. If you look onto my closet, there is 50% black across the clothes hanging pole thingy (the hell is the name of that thing anyway?). Then my girlfriends clothes start and all the fruity colors kick in. I'm not bitching as black is my favorite color (or lack thereof) but it's not hard to see where my clothes end and hers start. I fit nicely into XLs too. I would't buy a large because often times they shrink (or we get bigger) and then you go to wear it but end up looking like one of those old guys you see at the shows that are shoehorned into their old metal tee shirts (i.e. A 1978 Nazareth tour shirt)

Black is fine. The logos can add color. And if I enjoy the band enough, I'll make the shirt fit. And XL doesn't seem to be as large as they used to, and I'm a small guy. Just wash it afew times and it will shrink enough.

Yeah... black is fine with me. I'll wear other colors, however, if black's all they have, so be it. I'm not complaining. As for the XL issue, yeah, I can see where your coming from with that, but like FailingAcension said, "if I enjoy the band enough, I'll make the shirt fit." And trust me... I will.

Some of the hardcore shirts are nice colors -- charcoal grey, dark maroon, etc. A diversity in colors in metal shirts would be nice! No neon pink or lime green, please.

I am a big boy so XL is the way to go.

You people are too judgemental. Not every shirt is made for a fat ass, nor are they made for an anorexic. Not liking other colours is "ignorant"... that it's similar to listening to one band? Not really. Does wearing a green shirt give you shivers down your spine or does wearing a blue shirt make you want to write music? It may boil down to the simple concept of preference, but music is much much more than a fucking colour. I agree that they should make medium shirts as well as XXL, but when the majority of people wear large or XL...

Eh... My biggest complaint isn't size, but cut. Fashion trends have dictated that t-shirts should be cut larger and longer, whereas in the past, they were tighter-fit and shoter. For example, I bought an onld Def Leppard shirt off eBay, ala "Hysteria" Tour era.. this shirt fits me (a rather average-sized girl) like a DREAM, but the tage says it's a size "Large".. same goes for the rest of my olf Hair Band shirts (yeah I got a lot of 'em!) As per my understanding, "Girlie Shirts" only recently started appearing on the market, so I don't think I somehow built my collection of old band shirts on prototype Girlie Shirts.

Whereas these days when I buy a band shirt, size Large, I SWIM in it. I sprout wings and it's length is anywhere from mid-thigh to my KNEES! Size Medium only proves a difference with "some" bands, as it seems no one can get the same measurments from maker to maker.

So of course, I loved the idea of "Girlie Shirts".. However the same problem with varying sizes under the same label can prove to be just as irritating! Size Large for my ShadowsFall girlie shirt fits Wonderfully, but size Large for my Iced Earth shirt feels like I'm being constricted by a Boa. I don't think the t-shirt industry has quite figured out "girlie shirt" cuts either. Some have sleeves that burry themselves into the armpits, some have a neckline that barely allows for your head to pass through, and some are just too damn short! Not to mention the fact that they're ALL short-sleeved. It's nearly impossible to fit a long-sleeved shirt underneath some corset-fitting girlie tee.

Another complaint about the girlie shirts is the lack of "coolness" for the price. Every single girlie shirt in my collection thus far (around 9, I think) is nothing more than an oddly-cut, funny-sized black, form-fit shirt with a simple band logo across the bust. It starts to get BORING rather quick. When I go to a show, I'm dishearted when all the regular shirts have bitchin' designs and artwork yet the girlie shirts are nothing spectacular. I'd get a regular shirt but they don't have Medium, and if they do, it's still nothing that I could wear all the time except on days which I feel like doning a tent that goes to my knees. So I buy the girlie shirt because I want a band shirt to remember the event, support the band, and show off my taste in music.

There IS a bright side to this story though! Things are changing for us girls! I saw it at ProgPowerIII, were TWO bands were selling LONGSLEEVED girlie shirts! Devin Townsend had a nice big logo that covered the entire front of the shirt, and Pain Of Salvation had full artwork on the front, the back, AND on the sleeves!

So I, and other women alike, rejoice for the time is near that we shall soon have our perfect-fitting concert tee :D Until then, it's back to my Glam shirts...

~Sh0k~

I hear ya sh0k. The thing with me is i hate the dramatic cut in length between large and XL. I wear low-rise jeans all the time and i like for my t-shirts to hang down comfortably below that. If i want something that *may* ride up, i'll wear one of my girlie shirts. So basically I wear a size small-medium in girlie shirts, but i have to wear an XL in T-Shirts JUST to get some length! I'm so used to huge T-Shirts now that i cant stand to wear anything smaller than XL, even if it does fit me alot better.

Well, i feel better having gotten that off my chest :)

I think the general thing with concerts though is the bands are afraid that not -everyone- can fit into a medium or large so they wont buy it. However most people CAN fit into an XL even if it's kinda big. I guess it just seems econmically safer to make them too big rather than not big enough.

Shirt size standards have definitely changed over the past 15-20 years. All of my old shirts (80's-early 90's...yeah, I'm an old bastard) fit well and the artwork is placed smartly in the middle so if you prefer to tuck it in you don't lose half of the damn image! All of the new style shirts are fucking huge and usually only in XL. I'm not small by any means, 6' and around 195, but christ on a crutch I don't need a goddamn yacht tarp to cover my girth.
What is the real culprit is the new "trend" in clothing style as a whole. Instead of tight fitting and neat everything is now lose, baggy and sloppy looking. You can thank all of the "urban" bullshit for that.
So now one is expected to walk around with your shirt hanging out and flapping in the breeze and with said breeze finding it's way coldly and unpleasantly up under aforementioned oversized shirt.
On a positive note you do get a lot more artwork for the money since the picture tends to go from the collar all the way to the hemline.
I guess I'm just old fashioned or just plain old but I like it the way they used to be. And on the subject of color....black is just fine by me. I wear black exclusively and it's not because I'm fucking ignorant, I have a fairly high I.Q. thank you, it's just my personal preference just like it is in the way I like to wear the damn things. Anyway though..that's just my opinion.

@Darth Kur - Good point about the artwork being too low on the shirt. I hadn't thought of that before.. Hmm.. like I needed another reason :lol:

@Bodylouseuk - But the shirts are so uncomfortable I end up walking around with a funny face :s haha! Kidding, of course.. it's not a walk in the park... Every time I want to wear my Iced Earth shirt, I have to stretch it over the back of a chair the night before so that it fits comfortably in the morning. Then again, about mid-day it has returned to it's regular shape :rolleyes: I wear that shirt just about every other day, you'd think it's loosen up by now! :lol: *stops, realizing that no man would care to hear about this*

~Sh0k~

alot of the european metal shirts come in Medium and Small. Its only in America were they sell them XL. Im Serious i bought a pain shirt from Nuclear blast, its long sleave and made from cotton and spandex, the largest size was a meduim, and its fits me fine. What i usualy do is wash the shirt in hot water and its shrinks alot