The stuff we go through...

Daybreaker

Red, Hot, and Heavy
Jul 6, 2002
San Antonio, TX
Visit site
I hope this thread doesn't seem like a rant.

I know there's several other fellow scribes and journalists that post here and I would just like to say to everyone that does what we do, we fucking rule and we go through alot of shit to do interviews and reviews where most of the time we dont get paid, it's a labor of love.

Case in point: Today I interviewed Lacuna Coil here in San Antonio. I showed up at 2.30 for a 3 PM interview, (being punctual is always a plus) and talk to the tour manager there. He's cool as hell and has all my info ready and tells me to hang around backstage for a half hour while Chris Magliore gets back from sight seeing. So he shows up we do a killer thirty five minute interview on the bus, it's one of the most relaxed and fun interviews I've done. Afterwards we shoot the shit for a few then I go out and chill at the venue. Usually when I do interviews before the gates open I've never been hassled before. I end up talking to the bands and crew and generally cause no trouble and have a good time. Well as it happened I was looking at the merch on sale when a sec guard comes up to me and starts giving me shit. "Do you have your passes on you?" No sir, I haven't received them yet. "well you're going to have to leave until you get them we're clearing the venue" I look around and I'm like "Clear the venue? Dude it's just me. Hold up lemme talk to the tour manager he knows who I am and I'm supposed to be here I'm not just some random guy that snuck in." He then moves to grab my arm and when I pull back he says, "You're going to have to leave right now and wait for your credentials.. come with me NOW." So I'm like ok whatever this guys on a power trip good for him. Anyways, at the gate I get denied my passes for hours and it starts to hail and rain like a sonofabitch which ends up ruining my 200 dollar digital recorder and all my Lacuna cd sleeves and all the while I'm waiting the people at the front send me around back to get the passes and then when they dont know what's going on and send me back to the front there they continue to give me the fist of denial at the gate. Finally after Lacuna's gear is all soaked, they aren't playing for sure, (the time is 8.30, they were supposed to play form 7.20 - 8.00) and I end up being a dick to the people up front cos I'm not in a good mood someone finally runs backstage to check the guest list. Thirty minutes later the guy comes back who was finally sent after my bitching (I will admit this person was very helpful and actually understood where I was coming from) and gives me the envelope with everything in it and tells me "You're the only one on here i don't know why it was such a big deal to get them I apologize for the wait and trouble." So cool huzzah I get in and then when it comes time to go into the photo pit for Rob Zombie I get another fist of noness thrust in me. "No they aren't allowing anyone in the photo pit tonight." What dude, what the hell is this for then? "I don't know its just what we were told." Argh. I ended up talking to Maus from Lacuna for a few minutes he and everyone else was pissed cos they didnt get to play and most likely didnt get paid either, and I find out that they didnt get to play because the venue has a ten pm curfew and the gates opened it was 9.00 PM. So basically what ended up happening was Rob Zombie played an abbreviated 45 minute set which was just long enough for the venue to tell everyone that showed up and paid for a ticket that yes there was a show and no there are no refunds. After four songs I just left, fuck this, fuck this venue and fuck these chode security guards.

Good news is I got a rescheduled interview with Lacuna in Houston on Thursday because the people at Century Media are awesome and I'm busting out my 1988 tape recorder for it. Woo hoo.

And the thing is since this is going up on Metal Reviews, I'm not getting paid one red cent for all of this but I don't care. I'm just glad I'm going to get my interview done and see these guys live. This is the type of shit that people like us go through so fans can read up on their favorite bands. We do this for the love of the music and because we're fans just like everybody else.

We know EXACTLY what you're talking about here! My fiancee and I own, and run, our own Metal related website, www.metalfury.com We don't make any money off it, just do it to help spread the word and support the bands we love. Lots of webzines have quite a few people working for them, we do it all ALONE...just her and I. It may not be the most professional site out there but we do our best.
We've made quite a few contacts in the music business, and for the most part everyone is cool as hell. Seems like the ones that are the biggest problem though are the security guards and bouncers at the venues. Sometimes there's other mix up's and lack of communication but that's to be expected I guess. For example...
We saw Gamma Ray in NYC Monday night. I had written to Chipster Entertainment (GREAT people by the way)! We were all set for an interview with Kai Hansen, it had been set up a couple weeks in advance. ON THE WAY TO THE VENUE we got a phone call saying that we wouldn't be getting a formal interview, but to ask for the tour manager when we got to the venue and he'd at least let us meet the band and get some pics. Well we got there and all we were on the list for was photo passes, not all access as promised. We had them get the tour manager and he said "ready for your interview with the band"?!?! All we had come prepared for was MAYBE an interview with Kai if we were lucky, and now we were supposed to interview the entire band! Well the tour manager sent us back to the ticket window to get our all access passes and the guy at the ticket window gave us a hard time since we weren't "on the list" for all access. We finally got a manager of the venue, explained what happened, and he pulled out two all access passes and handed them to us...he was great! VERY cool guy!
Well as it turned out, we did a short interview with Kai. We're also gonna be attending the show in Minnesota and mentioned it to the band. The bassist for Gamma Ray, Dirk Schlachter, told us to look him or the tour manager up in Minnesota and we could do an interview with the rest of the band and he's gonna get us all access once again!
One security guard at the venue was kind of an asshole, and even though he saw us with all access, he had to check our passes EVERY time we walked backstage and kind of gave us an attitude.
Nothing against Chipster, they really have helped us out MANY times in the past, but it just goes to show how things can get mixed up. And that's only one story, we have many more :lol:

Dave and I have certainly been there, done that. We run BeyondEarCandy strictly for the promotion of the music we love and most of the costs comes right out of our pockets. Make money? I'd have more luck lap dancing.

So many of the record labels and management are extremely cool and work hard with you. (Century Medial has been especially great to us.) It's the dick at the venues and the secruity people who must of got beat on the playgrounds at school that cause most of the problems.

It is an awful lot of work and I commend everyone who has the tenacity to stick to it.

This past Friday, we went to see Katatonia and Novembre.

Met Carmelo Orlando of Novembre outside. He brought us on the tour bus while he uploaded pics from his digital camera to his laptop.

Brought us inside (4 hours before doors opened) and we watched both bands soundcheck.

We were offered some of the food that the venue had prepared for the bands (we declined, had already eaten).

I did the interview with all of Novembre at a table inside the venue before doors opened.

We got to place ourselves right up front and center before anybody was let in the place.

Smoothest interaction I've ever had with a band regarding an interview at a show, even if we did spend almost 40€ on concert tickets we ended up not needing.

Why?

Didn't set it up with a manager or a publicist or a record label. Emailed the band before the tour started and set it up that way.

Peaceville was kind enough to send a promo of the latest Novembre to me when I asked, and I only did that because it wasn't going to be on sale here before the concert. I didn't ask them to set up an interview and I didn't ask to be on any guest lists.

I'm gonna soon post my beautiful Manowar related story.

And by the way, if anyone in Manowar's crew is reading this... I want to offer you a sincere fuck you. You DO NOT deserve the attention and fame you have.

AngraRULES said:

And by the way, if anyone in Manowar's crew is reading this... I want to offer you a sincere fuck you. You DO NOT deserve the attention and fame you have.

Deb and I have our own Manowar story...screw those guys and their crew...they suck! Here's the short version of our story...We had photo passes lined up and CONFIRMED for Manowar/Rhapsody at BB Kings. Got to the venue and there was one of the Manowar crew guys waiting at the door confiscating all cameras. We told him we had photo passes confirmed and he said "I don't care, no photos at all tonight, no exceptions"!...REALLY cocky and with a bullshit attitude! I felt like telling him to go screw himself but we really wanted to see Rhapsody. We left right after they played and didn't stay for Manowar. We ended up having to check our camera at the door and pick it up when we left. Now our story wasn't too bad, just the attitude they had pissed me off!
We heard from a friend of ours that was at the Philly show that someone he knew that had a camera there got the film torn out and destroyed, and then they were thrown out of the venue.
I mean come on, it's freaking Manowar!!! You think they'd be happy to get any publicity they can!

MetalFury said:
Deb and I have our own Manowar story...screw those guys and their crew...they suck! Here's the short version of our story...We had photo passes lined up and CONFIRMED for Manowar/Rhapsody at BB Kings. Got to the venue and there was one of the Manowar crew guys waiting at the door confiscating all cameras. We told him we had photo passes confirmed and he said "I don't care, no photos at all tonight, no exceptions"!...REALLY cocky and with a bullshit attitude! I felt like telling him to go screw himself but we really wanted to see Rhapsody. We left right after they played and didn't stay for Manowar. We ended up having to check our camera at the door and pick it up when we left. Now our story wasn't too bad, just the attitude they had pissed me off!
We heard from a friend of ours that was at the Philly show that someone he knew that had a camera there got the film torn out and destroyed, and then they were thrown out of the venue.
I mean come on, it's freaking Manowar!!! You think they'd be happy to get any publicity they can!

After reading this, sounds like Manowar is one of those bands that won't see a dime of my money. Thankfully, this kind of shit seems to be the exception rather than the rule. I don't even run any kind of metal/fan site, but numerous times, just from simply being polite and asking, I've been granted access to all kinds of bands/photo shoots and the like. I am now finally setting up an online photo gallery (right now, though Photobucket) of the pictures I managed to get at these shows. Just for a sample of what I was able to get in terms of photographs, check out the Jaxx Gamma Ray thread.

BTW, Haven't had a chance to chat with you. I am that guy you met at ProgPower on the subway last year (the bigger guy with the wavy/curly blond hair). I was with that other guy (Dave). He was the shorter guy with the dark brown/black hair.

I am with that other guy on agreeing that it is awesome that you guys are willing to do this. I've checked out your site in the past and I do enjoy reading what you got to say. Hoping to get to see you again this year at ProgPower.

MetalFury said:
As I was told, Manowar had recently signed an exclusive photography contract and they were bound by that contract not to let any other photographs be taken by anyone else.

NOT that I'm excusing the piss-poor behavior of security/crew or whoever. We saw them in Massachusetts. Dave and I got separated and he pulled out his phone to locate me. He's actually TALKING to me on the phone and security tried to take it away because they suspected he was taking photographs with the camera. BTW, he was like 50 feet from the stage, in the dark with hundreds of people in front of him. Like ANYTHING would have come out on a crappy cell phone camera.

Now here's the most fucked up Manowar story ever :

I had my name on the press list for the Manowar/Rhapsody show at BB Kings. I was doing an interview with Rhapsody, through my friends and media partners at SPV. The interview was scheduled for 5 PM and I got there exactly at 4 PM. Went to the door and talked to the security people (usually as soon as I mention that, they'll let me in to look for the tour manager, they know me at this point). It was a different group of guys, whom I found out later that were the actual SECURITY PEOPLE OF MANOWAR. I mean, if they're all true and metal and powerful, they woudln't need security guards... or would they?

Anyway, the guys at the door simply said : "Go to the line and wait", so I politely asked to speak to the Security Manager of Manowar's crew and spoke to him. Explained who I was, where I was from and who sent me here and asked him if he could by any chance inform Rhapsody and their manager that I was there. And he said he'd do it.

About an hour and a half later... Nothing. All I saw was that group being dicks to people that tried to get pictures of the band (who walked by) or autographs. So much for saying Manowar is the band that does the most about fans eh? I went to ask again the "security manager" what happened and he basically told me "Stop fucking bugging me, or there will be no interview. I dont care who you are nor who you're here for. If you talk to me once again you'll not get in for the show".

Very pissed off I returned to the line. Doors finally open (by now it's 7PM) and by accident I find the manager of the band, who said they've been expecting me for hours and I was late. Guess what? THE FUCKING ASSHOLE FROM MANOWAR's CREW NEVER EVEN TOLD THEM I WAS THERE. I explained and they took me to interview Fabio. Unfortunately, since everything was late, my interview only lasted 12 minutes.

I really wish Manowar would fucking call it quits or simply not exist. Their music SUCKS, I have absolutely no respect for them because they have NO RESPECT FOR FANS. Too egotistical, too big of assholes. Whoever says the opposite has no clue what he's talking. Don't be a fan of people who're not worth it. People who clearly don't give a shit about you. If they did, trust me... They wanna fuck your wife, or you (in case you're a girl).

That being said, I will repeat : FUCK MANOWAR. I actually wish I can tell Joey DeMayo that once, right on his face.

"Charming, these Manowar guys. I wish I had a daughter, so I could forbid her to marry them." :rolleyes:

I could post some stories regarding lost credentials or asshole-security going back as far back as QR/Metallica in 1989 and up to Sounds of the Underground last summer, but......nahh. Shit Happens. For every show where there's been a problem, there have been as many shows where everyone was uber-cool.

I went to ask again the "security manager" what happened and he basically told me "Stop fucking bugging me, or there will be no interview. I dont care who you are nor who you're here for. If you talk to me once again you'll not get in for the show".

Very pissed off I returned to the line. Doors finally open (by now it's 7PM) and by accident I find the manager of the band, who said they've been expecting me for hours and I was late. Guess what? THE FUCKING ASSHOLE FROM MANOWAR's CREW NEVER EVEN TOLD THEM I WAS THERE.
Wow, that is so ridiculous and completely wrong. It's a good thing it was you and not me, because if some pumped up, self-important, security punk spoke to me that way, I'd have lost it. Fuck the show. I'd have gotten my entertainment ripping him a new one.

Too bad there is no damn cell signal in B.B. King's or you could have called the Rhapsody tour manager. Do you know B.B. King's manager? He's a cool guy. I think his name is Rich. Just looking in hind-site, I think I'd have called the club, asked for him, and told him to find the Rhap. manager.

SkiBumMSP said:
BTW, Haven't had a chance to chat with you. I am that guy you met at ProgPower on the subway last year (the bigger guy with the wavy/curly blond hair). I was with that other guy (Dave). He was the shorter guy with the dark brown/black hair.

I am with that other guy on agreeing that it is awesome that you guys are willing to do this. I've checked out your site in the past and I do enjoy reading what you got to say. Hoping to get to see you again this year at ProgPower.

Hey how's it going! We definitely remember you guys! It was really cool speaking with you in Atlanta last year, we had alot of fun at Progpower. Not sure if we're gonna make it this year or not, we hope to. We are in the process of looking for a house, we have to make a trip to Fla. to see my family this summer, plus we're flying out to Minnesota next week to see Gamma Ray once again. Plus there are lots of great shows coming up this summer we plan on seeing. If we can fit Progpower in, and have the $$$ we'll be there. You should send us an e-mail on our website, we'd like to keep in touch with you. You guys were cool as hell! :headbang:

From our experiance, BB Kings in NYC is a great place to see shows. The staff has gotten to the point where they pretty much all know us now and actually go out of their way to help us out. The manager that we spoke to, Jerry (the big bald white guy), is the one that helped us out with the all access situation for Gamma Ray. There is only one security guy that we ever have a problem with anymore, and unfortunately, he was working the Gamma Ray show...

AngraRULES said:

I saw Manowar last year when Rhapsody was opening up for them. I went for Rhapsody, but I sat through Manowar's set. Needless to say, that was my first and last time seeing those guys. That's about the most unclassy group of people I've ever encountered in my entire life.

Rhapsody was the complete and total opposite, and I hope that band doesn't get anymore tied into Manowar than they already are! They were very cool and greatful to the fans from what I saw.

I left right after Rhapsody played.

Also they denied my photographer's pass/entry in the venue because they had overpopulated their guest list and thus, since they're Manowar, they had the right to cut off some people.

She was only able to get in thanks to our friends Tim and Rob (Into Eternity) who were there on a day off in their tour and got in with her thanks to Jerry, the house security manager. An awesome guy, by the way.

The staff at BB King's is usually awesome, I know quite a bunch of them. There's only 1 asshole who usually takes care of the backstage access and somehow never believes my pass is real. He should eat a salad, he's gone over the 500 lbs limit.

MetalFury said:
Hey how's it going! We definitely remember you guys! It was really cool speaking with you in Atlanta last year, we had alot of fun at Progpower. Not sure if we're gonna make it this year or not, we hope to. We are in the process of looking for a house, we have to make a trip to Fla. to see my family this summer, plus we're flying out to Minnesota next week to see Gamma Ray once again. Plus there are lots of great shows coming up this summer we plan on seeing. If we can fit Progpower in, and have the $$$ we'll be there. You should send us an e-mail on our website, we'd like to keep in touch with you. You guys were cool as hell! :headbang:

Bummer that you may not make it to ProgPower this year, but that Minnesota show looks like it'll be kick-ass, though.

If you are driving to Florida, and you are passing through Fredericksburg, let me know. Maybe could do lunch or something.

Things are looking awesome from this end. Been pretty busy this week with the metal and rock shows. Between Gamma Ray Tuesday night, Dragon Force tonight, Spocks Beard on Saturday and Nevermore/Evergrey on Sunday, I am going to be so metelled out! (May have to dig out the old Rush, Asia, and Styx albums for a change :lol: ).

I may have to take a drive up your way, and perhaps catch a show with you at the BB King there in NYC.

But to get back on topic - fortunatly, the staff at Jaxx has been pretty cool. Every now and again, you get somebody with a hair up thier ass and try to "powertrip" on you, though.

AngraRULES said:
Now here's the most fucked up Manowar story ever :

I had my name on the press list for the Manowar/Rhapsody show at BB Kings. I was doing an interview with Rhapsody, through my friends and media partners at SPV. The interview was scheduled for 5 PM and I got there exactly at 4 PM. Went to the door and talked to the security people (usually as soon as I mention that, they'll let me in to look for the tour manager, they know me at this point). It was a different group of guys, whom I found out later that were the actual SECURITY PEOPLE OF MANOWAR. I mean, if they're all true and metal and powerful, they woudln't need security guards... or would they?

Anyway, the guys at the door simply said : "Go to the line and wait", so I politely asked to speak to the Security Manager of Manowar's crew and spoke to him. Explained who I was, where I was from and who sent me here and asked him if he could by any chance inform Rhapsody and their manager that I was there. And he said he'd do it.

About an hour and a half later... Nothing. All I saw was that group being dicks to people that tried to get pictures of the band (who walked by) or autographs. So much for saying Manowar is the band that does the most about fans eh? I went to ask again the "security manager" what happened and he basically told me "Stop fucking bugging me, or there will be no interview. I dont care who you are nor who you're here for. If you talk to me once again you'll not get in for the show".

Very pissed off I returned to the line. Doors finally open (by now it's 7PM) and by accident I find the manager of the band, who said they've been expecting me for hours and I was late. Guess what? THE FUCKING ASSHOLE FROM MANOWAR's CREW NEVER EVEN TOLD THEM I WAS THERE. I explained and they took me to interview Fabio. Unfortunately, since everything was late, my interview only lasted 12 minutes.

I really wish Manowar would fucking call it quits or simply not exist. Their music SUCKS, I have absolutely no respect for them because they have NO RESPECT FOR FANS. Too egotistical, too big of assholes. Whoever says the opposite has no clue what he's talking. Don't be a fan of people who're not worth it. People who clearly don't give a shit about you. If they did, trust me... They wanna fuck your wife, or you (in case you're a girl).

That being said, I will repeat : FUCK MANOWAR. I actually wish I can tell Joey DeMayo that once, right on his face.

WOW. Sorry to hear you had such a bad experiance. I had completly the oppisite experiance in Arizona a few years back. I live in Texas, and Manowar wasn't coming to Texas that year. Tempe, AZ was the closest date I could go to so I flew in for the show. I got to the venue around 3 and found the band in the process of setting up. Equipment was everywhere, but work seemed to be at a standstill. Joey was on a cell phone arguing with someone and I stood off to the side with my CD booklets. Joey got off the phone and came over to sign my stuff. I told him I flew in from TX to see them. Unfortunatly, he informed me that they were having problems with the venue and might not play that night. He apologized and said he hoped I could make the following night in Tuscon but I said probably not since I had to catch a plane in the morning. He said the other guys were on the bus around back and I went to get their autographs too. They were all really nice and even gave me a setlist and a free t-shirt since I'd apparently flew all that way for nothing. As everyone climed on the bus and left, some of the locals started showing up. One guy wearing a homemade Manowar t-shirt (white with black magic marker) and his friend came over to see what was going on. I told him the whole story and he couldn't believe I came all the way from Texas for the show. "You've GOT to go to Tuscon now!" he said. I told him how I had no way there not to mention I'd miss my flight home. "You can ride with us and let me handle the airline." He called the airline and said there was a family emergency, a death in the family and convinced them to let me fly home the next day at no extra charge! They showed me all around Phoenix, went to a cool CD shop called Zia's and saw some local bands at a club that night. They put me up for the night and together we drove to the show in Tuscon the next day. The Manowar guys were happy to see I made it and got a laugh from my story. We were front row in this tiny club and I had a small disposable camera and actually got some great pictures. Eric Adams took my camera at one point and took pictures of the band and a great shot of me and my newfound friends in the crowd before giving it back. After the show they signed autographs in the parking lot. Just an amazingly positive experiance.