The Sword/Truckfighters Reggies July 20 Reggies

modernwizardry

I want stout!
Aug 18, 2009
Chicago, IL
satanshallow.bandcamp.com
2 different shows with The Sword at Reggie's Rock Club and Truckfighters at Reggie's music joint.

I missed the Sword last time so I'd like see them this time around. Starts at 8:30

Truckfighters are from Sweden and play fuzz/stoner rock similar to queens of the stoneage, nebula, etc. Should be awesome. I'll pick this one if the times conflict. Starts at 9:30

I want to go to both so I'm hoping the timing works out. Is the Music Joint in the same place as the Rock Club?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xO5VWVHQ8I&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLMPA4xPFpg&feature=related[/ame]

Damn, I would love to see the Sword at Reggies, but I will have just come back from a long vacation.
Not sure I will be up for a show.
Kind of odd this tour has gotten such small exposure.
Maybe that's what the Sword are going for, with a new drummer and all.
Their latest WARP RIDERS was great!

Damn, I would love to see the Sword at Reggies, but I will have just come back from a long vacation.
Not sure I will be up for a show.
Kind of odd this tour has gotten such small exposure.
Maybe that's what the Sword are going for, with a new drummer and all.
Their latest WARP RIDERS was great!

I am sure they said....lets tour the states and not promote it and play small places. Yep....I am sure they planned it that way.

I think it was just announced because the Truckfighters show was originally at the Rock Club and I went to check out the listing for that and found The Sword and replaced them on the date. I will be attending both shows then. It would be nice to just combine the shows...they are similar styles.

Warp Riders was one of my favorite albums from last year.

I am sure they said....lets tour the states and not promote it and play small places. Yep....I am sure they planned it that way.

Have you seen any official tour announcement for this?
I have seen nothing on Facebook, Blabbermouth, etc...
Maybe it was announced on the Pitchfork site, Ha!

Their previous tours have gotten a lot of press.

Considering they previously have headlined much bigger places, and with little promotion, I question if it was intentional to be a smaller low-key run to break in their new drummer.

How were the Sword?

What was the total number of trucker hats, dark rimmed glasses, and skinny jeans?

Haha...it was not as bad as I thought...the surprising thing was a number of "bros" who were getting into the band and singing along to the well known songs.

Overall it was a great show. Each band was great. Here's my review:

First...Killer Moons - very retro doom-y 3 piece band. They lit incense which was kind of cool. They had a girl bass player who was not good but good enough to lay down some grooves. Sounded like The Sword but a little more groovy. Decent singer and good guitar player. They had a free CD with 1 demo.

Second...Mount Carmel - another retro band but much more blues based. A power trio that reminded me of Cactus, Cream, Johnny Winter, etc. Solid performance and a very solid drummer who reminded me of Ian Paice of Deep Purple. Bought the CD.

Third...The Sword - The last time I saw them was right when the first album released and they had a song on the first Guitar Hero (when the game was fun). They were picking up steam at this point. I think they were opening for Trivium but I was at the show to see Protest the Hero (weird line up). They were great but they didn't move much and were not engaging at all. This time around it was different. They were much more expressive and energetic. Better all around. Their latest album is my favorite but they did not play much from it unfortunately. They did encore with Lament of the Auroch which was awesome. I hadn't listened to them in a while but suddenly I remembered all the riffs and was air guitaring though almost the whole set.

Fourth...Truckfighters - Right as The Sword finished up Truckfighers were starting up next door at the music joint. This was the main reason I went. I got in for free with my ticket to The Sword so that was nice. They are from Sweden and for some reason a ton of great retro/stoner/groove rock bands come from there. I was not at all familiar with this band but I'd heard great things. Another 3 piece. They put on the most energetic performance I've ever seen. The guitar player was jumping almost the whole time (like punk rock guitar player jumps). Vocals were pretty weak but it was all about the riffs, grooves, and fuzz. Very similar to Queens of the Stone Age. Bought all 3 of their albums. Vocals are much better on the records.

Here's a short video I took of Truckfighters...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I guess I am going to show my age or lack in knowledge of what is hip these days, but what the heck is a "bro"?????

I have seen this term thrown around lately.

Is a "bro" a hardcore kid? Mallcore? Jock? Tough guy???

you need to get out more. There were a few "bros" at the Orange Goblin show as well up front. very obnoxious.

bro is an offshoot of the frat boy who goes to shows and stuff. Lots of high fives and fist pumping. Baseball hat wearing morons.

I saw one at the COB show. No hat, but obviously a frat/jockish looking guy. He obviously was there for his gf, but it was amusing as he obviously was a hip-hop guy as he was awkwardly dancing backwards and pointing his fingers towards the band.