The Sword

Sputnik is a good site. Unlike most metal review sites, the reviewers actually seem to take time both in listening to the music and in developing their review (and you can look at how well a reviewer is rated as well).

This album is an improvement over their previous work, but I don't have any urge to listen to it.

I wouldn't put that much stock in Sputnik, tbh.
As with all reviews, I take them with a grain of salt. That said, I'm not aware of a better review site on the net.

I guess I'm more talking about the comments and general community.
Comments will always be what they are. However, it's one of the few sites I've found, with a significant user community, where every review thread doesn't turn into a flame war.

Anyhow....
The Sword's latest "WARP RIDERS" will make my top 10 with ease this year, and there are some DAMN fine releases this year already.

It's an arse kicker from beginning to end, and I think they have finally come into their own on this one, as opposed to simple sabbath worship, which people slagged them for before.

Anyhow....
The Sword's latest "WARP RIDERS" will make my top 10 with ease this year, and there are some DAMN fine releases this year already.

It's an arse kicker from beginning to end, and I think they have finally come into their own on this one, as opposed to simple sabbath worship, which people slagged them for before.

I'm looking forward to listening to this. Grabbed it the first week, but for some reason I have procrastinated in listening to it. Hopefully I will this weekend sometime.

Warp Riders is definitely a solid release. Never seen them live, so that is something I should make an effort to do.

Warp Riders is definitely a solid release. Never seen them live, so that is something I should make an effort to do.

I only saw them when they opened for Metallica.
They were indeed solid.

Seems like a band that would excel best in a small bar at 1AM after throwing back a few.

Basically, I can throw the Sword's first two releases in anytime and enjoy them. I've been meaning to check this new one out, but I haven't yet. I'll indeed get my hands on it this weekend!

~Brian~

i like the new album, despite it being departure from the first two.

i only skimmed, but who gives a f*ck what kind of band they were in before this one? not everyone has a calling to the metal right away, shall we shun all newcomers? especially ones that have worked as hard as these guys to get somewhere?

i like the new album, despite it being departure from the first two.

i only skimmed, but who gives a f*ck what kind of band they were in before this one? not everyone has a calling to the metal right away, shall we shun all newcomers? especially ones that have worked as hard as these guys to get somewhere?

Plus, I don't think just because you have been in another style of band automatically makes you "un-metal". There are tons of metal musicians that like other genres of music as well. I don't see the big deal.

I have absolutely no idea who this band is, but just found out some old friends of mine are on tour with them. Came in to check out this thread but bummed by the bad reviews. Given the nature of the music that those old friends play, and some of the comments here, I bet I can already tell what The Sword sounds like. Bummer, I was hoping I could pimp the other band in this thread, but maybe now I don't want to o_O

Nicely put, IMO.

There are tons of metal musicians that like other genres of music as well. I don't see the big deal.

I'd go as far to say that most of the metal bands that I really enjoy seem to have members who like other -- sometimes very diverse -- genres of music as well.

Age of Winters > Warp Riders > Gods of the earth.

But all three albums are really solid, they're pretty damn good live, too. Mostly I hear them getting slammed for not being "tr00" enough, but honestly such accusations are generally ...well let's be frank, kinda fuckin' lame.

I have absolutely no idea who this band is, but just found out some old friends of mine are on tour with them. Came in to check out this thread but bummed by the bad reviews. Given the nature of the music that those old friends play, and some of the comments here, I bet I can already tell what The Sword sounds like. Bummer, I was hoping I could pimp the other band in this thread, but maybe now I don't want to o_O

Might want to at least give it a listen -before- passing judgement, reviews aren't everything. If you still dont' like them after hearing them that's perfectly fine but..let your ears do the thinking, not some schmuck reviewer who thinks he knows better than you.

Seriously, high five. An absolutely perfect example of this is Witch

Drummer is J. Mascis of Dinosaur Jr. Definitely not everyon'e cup of tea, but it's heavy. And I dig the vid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only saw them when they opened for Metallica.
They were indeed solid.

Seems like a band that would excel best in a small bar at 1AM after throwing back a few.

It was hard for me to enjoy them on that tour. I think this has a lot to do with it though, they just aren't made for a stadium. Plus, stadium sound is usually shit. I would love to see them live on a intimate tour though.

I liked The Sword's first album. It's Sabbath-worship, but it's catchy Sabbath worship. The second album took some time, but lyrically I began to like it a lot more. I like the direction they took with the new album's cover art. But I haven't heard the new one yet. This is a polarizing band in the scene it seems. Most people agree that they're not the most passionate about their metal (reminiscent of a band called The Saviours who I saw at a club a while back who are now making some waves in the scene), but some are cool with that and others think they are false.

If this is false, it's at least better than Avenged Sevenfold and Killswitch.

The difference b/w the Sword and other "false metal" bands is that the Sword didn't start out as a part of a different scene and then altered their sound to fit a different one.

Members of the Sword do not have metal roots, which is what irks many non-fans.

If you don't like Sabbath to begin with, they are an easy target.