The Tabs-thread

AndreasBlomqvist

Mr. Bassman
Apr 19, 2008
www.seventhwonder.nu
Hi y'all!

I still get extremely many e-mails regarding the Walking Tall solo.
I'm almost getting tired of explaining what's going on so I just thought I'd start a tabs-thread here where everyone can share their tabs.

The tabs do not necessarily need to relate to seventh wonder, but I guess there are better spots on the web for a general tabs site so it would make more sense to keep it at least somewhat related to the band.

It would also be an excellent place to share exercises and/or playing tips and discuss techniques etc...

Since this is merely an introduction I will make the first post after this one to get the thread going.

First something which will be valid for all my posts:
(nb: We do drop the tuning to Eb across the neck so when I refer to Dminor a tuning machine would state it is a C#minor. However, what i mean is the note that you hear when pressing down the 5th string on a guitar on the fifth fret when that string is tuned to Ab -ok? This will also mean that the standard notation above the tablature isn't always correct from a strict musical point. I usually don't bother writing down key changes which is why the standrad notation may look wierd to people who don't use the tabs. So -I only focus on the tabs and I suggest you do that too. It is definitely written down the exact way I play it.)

I will post the tab for the entire song Walking Tall, since I allready have it tabbed out.
This is only for bass, mind you.

Some comments:

The first parts of the song aren't that interesting bass wise, it is a simple rythm running along in D-minor.

An interesting thing happens in bar 40 where me and Johan play a little lick in (oh God -what is the English word for that?!?!?!) eigth or sixteenth note quintuplets perhaps(?).
Anyway, what it means is that for each quarter notes, five notes with equal spacing are played. The timing might be a bit tricky at first, but try setting the metronome to a slow tempo in fourth notes and simply sit along and count to five until you can do that with an even timing, then start playing it.

In bar 51 there is a little tiny cross-hand tapping thing, but that shouldn't give you too mych trouble either. Note though that I use the left hand to fret the low E on the fifth fret of my B-string, if you're playing four string bass, I suggest you play it an octave higher, thus fretting it with your left hand playing the hammer-on on the seventh fret of the A-string instead. Similar enough I guess...

I really like the riff playing between bars 90-93 and the harmony between guitar and keyboards over that by the way.

Then we approach the grand finale.
I really think you'll need to work out a way of playing this that feels ok to you. But here's how I do it.
I always loved arpeggios on guitar and was bummed out that I never found any bass players who made it soud good. I still to this day think that most bass players who claim to playing arpeggios do so in a way that, at least to me, sounds awful. They have a tendency to simply strum the strings, more like hitting a chord and I really want every note to come through clearly. You can see/hear me playing it on YouTube here to see what I mean:

Anyway. I pluck the strings in the ascending lines, much in the same fashion as a classically trained guitarrist would, starting with my thumb, then sweep or rake the strings with index or middle finger (depending on which finger that ended the ascending line) going down the descending lines.

The figure itself is just a simple chord sequence in G#minor and stays in that key throughout. Some picked 16th note triplets here and there that are dubbed by the guitar, otherwise it is mostly 16th note-triplets and legato from top to bottom.

Hope anyone finds this interesting.

Enjoy!

The tab:
http://www.andreasblomqvist.com/shared_tabs/Walking_Tall.gp5

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tab Andreas, I have been slowy working my way through those sweeps :loco:. Still can't work out if its better to pluck the upwards runs as a classical guitar player would, or as you would normally pluck with three fingers.
Also, just wanted to suggest making the tab available on this site: www.ultimate-guitar.com, as this is probably the first place people would check before they email you. I could even do it for you! :)

Thanks for the tab, video, and the info Andreas. I have been practicing and working my way up the bpm to 70bpm, I doubt I'll make the full speed anytime soon though!

It has been interesting learning the picking/sweeping style that you use for this. I decided that learning it the way you play it would probably be best because thats the way it was written and it was also a new technique for me to learn, although I use my normal 3 finger picking style for the last rising arpeggios.

I've also managed to learn approximately 4:45 of "Waiting In The Wings" which, in the process of learning, has greatly increased my playing and for that I am grateful that there is music out there such as Seventh Wonder that explores how instruments are used - in this case, not having consistent bass root notes throughout whole songs.

I would be very happy if someone have the basstabs for "waiting in the wings" and could post it here. That would make me a very happy bassplayer :)

Originally Posted by grossalex
I would be very happy if someone have the basstabs for "waiting in the wings" and could post it here.

All I've got at the moment is a crude tab of Waiting In The Wings that only has the general direction or chord of what the bass is playing because I learnt it by ear but didn't tab everything.
Also, I can only play up until 4:48 or something like that because I got lost among the notes and couldn't tab any more. I will try and add to the tab though and make it better and more accurate, then I'll just have to figure out how to post it on here.

By the way, I'm also a Yamaha 6 Stringer - I've got a TRB1006, I almost got the Myung model with the Falling Into Infinity inlays but found the TRB1006 more comfortable so I got that instead.

All I've got at the moment is a crude tab of Waiting In The Wings that only has the general direction or chord of what the bass is playing because I learnt it by ear but didn't tab everything.
Also, I can only play up until 4:48 or something like that because I got lost among the notes and couldn't tab any more. I will try and add to the tab though and make it better and more accurate, then I'll just have to figure out how to post it on here.

By the way, I'm also a Yamaha 6 Stringer - I've got a TRB1006, I almost got the Myung model with the Falling Into Infinity inlays but found the TRB1006 more comfortable so I got that instead.

Which ones are the falling into infinity inlays, I'm guessing thats the Infinty bubble thing? Mine has the Yin Yang on the 12th fret, like he uses on Bodukan.

Haha that´s the same bass that I´m using :p
It´s a really nice bass though

Heh, I'm one of the pestering E-mail people as well :p
I still haven't got the whole thing nailed, it's just damn tough.

Right now I prefer working on the In the Blink of an Eye solo, anyway. I must say that's one of the best solos I have heard, on any instrument. This one I've got nailed, though, save for one little part.

The real pain about learning a SW song is that it's not only damn hard to play all the parts, but there are also so many different parts within each song that you have to learn and memorize. It's not like you just learn an A, B, and C part and then repeat them in a specific order. There's fills and variations all over the place.
Though some day... I shall have at least one SW song mastered :cool:

One thing I still don't get is how the hell you can pick those 16th note triplets! That requires way more precision than my feeble hands can master. It's easy enough playing them legato, but picking each note? In-sane.

I've finished what I can of the first half of Waiting In The Wings, annoying as it is, I got stuck just as the instrumental section was kicking up so the tab ends awkwardly at about 4:46. Hopefully the 'accuracy' of what I've tabbed will make up for the most part of that annoyance, on that note, most of the tab is quite accurate and can actually be played along with the song itself. Several parts aren't going to be correct, mainly a few things in the verse and the latter half of the chorus.
I haven't made any developments on the tab for a while (I've been stuck at 4:46ish for ages) and I've recently been busy with other things like getting ready for University and playing on Spore.
Also, since I made this tab primarily for me, I got bored of meticulously listening through the song and trying to accurately tab it so I've been learning other songs for a while - just learnt 'Beyond This Life'.

Anyway, here is the tab, it is only a tab for the bass parts.
Some of the rhythms for the second part of the chorus aren't meant to be exact, I usually improvise the rhythms anyway. Also, some of the tempos of the sections aren't exact, but I don't suppose that matters because they're near enough to just learn from in order to play along to the original.
Please note the tab is tuned to standard 6 string bass, if you play tuned a half step down I recommend just changing all the 3s to 4s and so on, rather than changing the tuning because Guitar Pro will usually mess up the fretboard placing of the notes when tunings are changed.

I hope the link works, this is for the Guitar Pro tab, although I could post a .pdf file or something if someone doesn't have Guitar Pro.

http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=hc7omvknkkf

Enjoy.

...working on the In the Blink of an Eye solo...

Hey there!

Have I helped you out with that tab? I can't really remember....

Anyway, please share what you have in here as well as that is a good way to help each other out!

Also,
a comment earlier was regarding also posting the tabs as .pdf -I think that could be a generally good idea.

Cheers guys!

Hey there!

Have I helped you out with that tab? I can't really remember....

Anyway, please share what you have in here as well as that is a good way to help each other out!

Also,
a comment earlier was regarding also posting the tabs as .pdf -I think that could be a generally good idea.

Cheers guys!

Yeah, I got both the "In the Blink of an Eye" and "Like Him" tabs from you, should I post them both?

Oh yeah ok!

Ha ha -I honestly think you are the only one who I've sent more than "Walking Tall"-tabs to! :) -you must have been either very persuasive or very nice!

Ok, then share 'em if you want to.
If I went through the trouble of tabbing them I guess we might as well let people see it huh?

If there are any special requests or anything I'll see what I can do!

Cheers!