The traveling circus, Stockholm date

hyena

counterclockwise
Apr 13, 2002
-
This is for the Swedes -

as I have mentioned on another thread, I'm going to Stockholm on Tuesday and staying there until Sunday. I am supposed to be working, but just the afternoons so I have plenty of time. Care to suggest sights, fun things to do etc? I already have the Laibach show planned thanks to Delirious... but what about, say, landmarks/museums etc? I'm a total sucker for history and politics (Carl, come to my help), and I also like gothic architecture.

Thankies.

I would recommend the Vasa ship museum (totally awesome) and the royal armory at the castle (clothes, weapons, armor, stuff). I always take my (girl)friends there and they seem to have been impressed. Taking a walk around the old town is also recommended. If you need specific help just send me a PM (since I don't read this forum that often).

Tranquillian pretty much covered it all :)
I would also recommend a visit to the Hallwyl Museum, if you're interested in seeing an entire house kept as it was about one hundred years ago. It's quite beautiful, lots of pretty furniture, art and some rather awesome Dutch tapestires, among other things. Also, when I was there the guide we had was brilliant; the well-read, articulate and quietly funny kind.
http://www.hallwylskamuseet.se/

If you like art (and I mean proper art, not modern ;)), the National Museum is nice. http://www.nationalmuseum.se/Default____2705.aspx

And definitely walk around in the Old Town, it's by far my favourite part of Stockholm.

when I was there I quite enjoyed Gamla Stan or whatever the old part of town is called, and the National Museum
I went to the Vasa Museum as well, but honestly, I wasn't amazed or anything.
Just get yourself a nice local guide and it'll be fun no matter what :)
Go biking to one of the lakes, it's all beautiful

Thanks one and all!

I'll be sure to put your suggestions into practice and I will let you know upon my return..

@ hyena, Did You make it to see Eminem while You were in the US?
As You probably know his EU tour was canceled, now he is under doctor's care
and in drug rehab., he is being treated for dependency on sleep medication.
I still say he will never tour again -

Thanks for your suggestions. I ended up not having vast amounts of time for sightseeing, but I made sure to visit the Vasa ship (awesome indeed); I also went to the Army museum and the music museum. The former was quite interesting and the latter totally cool because one can play the most weird instruments for free. I walked around town far and wide - Gamla Stan is indeed teh cool, I also went to Skansen and in various other parts of the city including the south side. And last night I saw The Ark live! I couldn't stop laughing really :lol: They're just so gay it's incredible.

Unfortunately I also caught a very nasty flu and am now feeling exceedingly weak...

@dave: i didn't make it, no, because i didn't have the money (problems with credit card). very unfortunate.

well, if you want to send me money now you're welcome to do so :lol:

seriously, thank you - but it was a good thing that i was forced to save. i could post-finance the awfully expensive restructuring of my patio.