The Trocadeo in Philadelphia on 7/20

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
We made it a point to get to the venue 30 minutes before the doors opened, as this was scheduled to be a seated performance, and we wanted decent seats. However, arriving 30 minutes early still put us behind several hundred people. As it turned out, both the venue and the bands decided to forgo the seated performance concept, due to ticket demand. Needless to say, the place was packed.

I’ll start with Porcupine Tree, as they opened the dual headline bill. The first thing that impressed me about Porcupine Tree was how well they handled the crowd. I’ve watched many bands wither in front of Opeth’s loyal following. However, whether it be out of respect for the music, Steve Wilson’s professional relationship as Opeth’s producer, or Steve’s personal relationship with Mikael, the Opeth contingent (which I would estimate made up close to 70% of the crowd) was very into and respectful of Porcupine Tree. Porcupine Tree ran through a 90 minute set, that was heavy on “In Absentia” material, flawlessly. While I wouldn’t describe their stage presence as overly energetic, the music was delivered as well as music can be. Wilson’s voice and guitar play was dead on, as were the musicians who backed him. Highlights of the show included “Russia on Ice”, “Futile” and “Blackest Eyes”. I was disappointed that I didn’t get to hear “The Sound of Muzak”, as it’s my favorite Porcupine Tree song.

Opeth took the stage about a half hour after Porcupine Tree wrapped up. They opened with an absolutely flawless rendition of “Windowpane”. Given how hard it is to play acoustic music live, how little time Opeth had to prepare, and that they were playing a set made up completely of songs that they’ve never played live, I was concerned about how well they’d be able to pull it off. However, after hearing them breeze through the opening number, my fears were allayed. They went through the rest of “Damnation”, in it’s entirety, in order. Some of the more subtle songs didn’t come across as well as others. There were even a few moments where crowd chatter was almost as loud as the subtle strains of the more musically sparse numbers from “Damnation”. Opeth left the stage monetarily, until Mikael returned and played the first half of “Benighted” unaccompanied. While he did a nice job, I felt that this song could have benefited by allowing Peter to handle the guitar duties, allowing Mikael to focus on the vocal line, as Mikael seemed to struggle at times attempting to deliver both. The band rejoined Mikael half way through “Benighted”, segued into “To Bid You Farewell”, and followed it with “Soldier of Fortune”. The band closed with “Face of Melinda”, which was the highlight of the evening.

I was very impressed with how well Opeth was able to pull off their softer material. Mikael is a heck of a lead player, and I really wish he’d occasionally just rip into a two minute solo. His playing is beautifully restrained, but is often too much of a tease. If I had one complaint about Opeth’s presentation, it would be the set list. I have no problem with them doing an all acoustic tour. Truth be told, I was very much looking forward to it. However, they didn’t need to play all of “Damnation”, and I certainly could have done without a Deep Purple cover song. I would have much preferred to hear some of the more subtle tracks from “My Arms, Your Hearse” and “Blackwater Park”.

GZ

Great show review. I was there last night as well. It was funny when Mikael was talking about how bands thought they were black metal until they saw pictures of them..and how they didn't wear corpse paint.

I'm so glad I caught them. An acoustic Opeth show was a great idea..

solarfall_ said:
Great show review. I was there last night as well. It was funny when Mikael was talking about how bands thought they were black metal until they saw pictures of them..and how they didn't wear corpse paint.

I'm so glad I caught them. An acoustic Opeth show was a great idea..

Agreed. Between the acoustic material and Mikael's growing comfort with the crowds, it was a very intimate performance.

GZ

haha yeah... also when the one kid said "PHILLY LOVES OPETH!" .. hah.. and also when random people were making really loud growling noises like trying to get him to play some harder stuff..that cracked me up...i wanted to get a chant going "DEMON! DEMON! DEMON!" but i was too chicken :\

I don't think that "you wish" was directed towards Drapery Falls, but instead someone right up front yelled out Black Rose Immortal and Mikael was referring to that as "you wish" for obvious reasons :) :D

AfAiRJudgEmenT said:
I don't think that "you wish" was directed towards Drapery Falls, but instead someone right up front yelled out Black Rose Immortal and Mikael was referring to that as "you wish" for obvious reasons :) :D

Holy shit, I shouted out Black Rose Immortal from the front. ahahah :D

I was gonna go to that show but I decided not to.....I pay to see metal played live so I wasn't really bothered about the Damnation tour. Would've been the first time i'd see them live, but I want to see them first time playing their normal stuff.

That show was awesome, though I would have preferred the seats, but then I probably wouldn't have gotten in.:p But anyway, I like how Mike is one of the very few frontmen who actually talks back to the fans that scream out requests, evenm if the reply is just "You Wish." I also found it cool how he took like five minutes out of their set to explain why Katatonia never tours the US.:p

By the by, when Mike was introducing To Rid the Disease as "A very dark song," I was the one who screamed out "Which one of your songs isn't dark!?!" To which Mikael replied "It's a different kind of dark." Don't know if anyone heard that little exchange, but I thought it was kinda funny.

Embody The Invisible said:
actually they have played b;ack rose immortal many times live. they usually play it as an encore but i have heard occasionally it used at the closing song.

Aren't the encore and the closing song the same thing. And I've never heard of Black Rose Immortal being played live. You thinking of Demon of the Fall?