The ULTIMATE Metal Guitar

I never said he is one. To my ears he does a lot more interesting things than people that use 7,8 string guitars. A lot of 6 string guitarists do.

I've never heard someone with a 7,8 string guitar do cool sounding chord progressions like Mikael and his 6 string. They just do scale runs up and down the neck. Atleast Mikael's solos sound like something instead of typical wanking or metal shredding.

The Greys said:
I never said he is one. To my ears he does a lot more interesting things with people that use 7,8 string guitars. A lot of 6 string guitarists do.

Mikeal from opeth uses ten times more chords than people with 7,8 string guitars anyways.

Using more chords doesn't make the music more interesting either.

I'd much rather hear "Morbid Tales" than any boring Opeth shite, and the Frost barely used three strings in those days.

Morbid Tales is cool for 20 minutes while you and someone chug beer. It's really not even slightly interesting.. it's basically no thrills stupid music when you're being an idiot. it has good groove for headbanging. The only time I can listen to Celtic Frost is when drunk.

I would say for 84/85 it's extreme & heavy though.

The Greys said:
Morbid Tales is cool for 20 minutes while you and someone chug beer. It's really not even slightly interesting.. it's basically no thrills stupid music when you're being an idiot. it has good groove for headbanging. The only time I can listen to Celtic Frost is when drunk.

I would say for 84/85 it's extreme & heavy though.

*SIGH*

Kids today.

Chords are very important. I'm not saying you have to know every fucking chord. Say you're learning a G7 chord,etc.. all these strumming rythmn chords that you don't think you are going to use when making metal still help your playing & ear for music regardless if not using them. Who the fuck wants to be a guitarist like the guys in Celtic Frost... it's redundant. It's cool for 85 but how can this band play so long like this for years and years. I'd quit playing if I played everyday knowing nothing.

Chords are the most important thing. Regardless if you write songs using singles notes and power chords... When knowing chords you'll sound better using single notes and powerchords than someone else doing the same technique that does not know chords or anything. As ridiculous as that sounds. Why do you think some metal bands using the same technique sounds better or more interesting regardless if using the same metalstyle techniques. Say you are using hammer ons and pull offs.. If you know more chords your choice of notes will sound better than someone else who is doing the same technique because they're naive to sounds. They will sound like beginners compared to you.

Why do you think when you first start playing an acoustic guitar you have to learn boring fucking chords. You still have to learn them so you can take those chords and do something different than other people using them like say opeth. Opeth makes guitar chord progressions sound cool interesting and fun. Opeth got me more into playing chords so I can expand my playing past palm mutting,hammer ons/offs and typical powerchord bar chord traditional playing style used in metal. It can be pretty boring. You can still use those technique but why not expand because those regular technique's sound so much better when you're a better musician.

Another musician could use the same simple chords celtic frost uses sounding ten times better because they have a better ear and more varied playing. Regardless if they just use that playing technique.

It's not about how many chords or notes you do but how you use them, positioning. It's about hearing what notes or progressions sound good regardless if you use a few chords or a lot.

Jeff Hanneman does not know shit but early slayer songs and riffs are very effective and cool sounding. He's good at using the same technique's over while making sure riffs,songs are distinquishable to a certain extent. It's about sounding better than your playing ability. You need to sound like you try regardless if you do not know shit.

Trey from Morbid Angel is self taught.. listen to his playing. This guy is really into his playing and has learned some very cool techniques.

What's the point in being a generic musician or not pushing yourself to a certain extent. I'm not saying striving to be a virtuoso but get some playing class,style and technique.

...all I'm saying Greys and Teh is that technical ability doesn't necessarily translate into interesting music. Knowing a trillion chords and being able to play them all flawlessly won't make music interesting unless they are placed in the right order.

Frankly, I'd rather hear the simplicity of Witchfinder General, Pentagram or Bolt Thrower over boring toss like Dream Theater or some other wonder technical shit.

...and yes Teh, it's exactly because I have a low attention span; a low attention span for boring shite, that is.

I can't read music but enjoyment isn't knowledge.A good pedal can do wonders where expensive guitars fail.Creativity is not found by copying
exact chords written by someone else.

I've got a Jackson Dinky with a reverse headstock, floyd rose, glossy blue finish, Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz pickups. Medium to high output, very versatile and very good for metal. The Jazz is good for solos and fast runs, clean or distorted.

I'm not saying technicality matters. I'm saying you still need to learn chords because so you will be a better guitarist in the end regardless. It still helps you develope your playing style regardless if you're own playing in your band is different or unconventional.

Simple music is not always stupid or amatuarish.

Carcassian said:
...all I'm saying Greys and Teh is that technical ability doesn't necessarily translate into interesting music. Knowing a trillion chords and being able to play them all flawlessly won't make music interesting unless they are placed in the right order.

Frankly, I'd rather hear the simplicity of Witchfinder General, Pentagram or Bolt Thrower over boring toss like Dream Theater or some other wonder technical shit.

...and yes Teh, it's exactly because I have a low attention span; a low attention span for boring shite, that is.
I feel very sorry for you.

The Greys said:
I'm not saying technicality matters. I'm saying you still need to learn chords because so you will be a better guitarist in the end regardless. It still helps you develope your playing style regardless if you're own playing in your band is different or unconventional.

Simple music is not always stupid or amatuarish.

My point exactly.