The Varangian Guard

Foinikas

Nov 6, 2007
Ok so here's some very interesting and cool info for all those who are interested in knowing more about the Varangian Guard who served the Byzantine Emperors.These parts are from wikipedia.I'm sure some of you will find it interesting!;)

This new force became known as the Varangian Guard (Gr. Tagma ton Varangion, Τάγμα των Βαραγγίων) Over the years, new recruits from Sweden, Denmark, and Norway kept a predominantly Scandinavian cast to the organization until the late 11th century. So many Scandinavians left to enlist in the guard that a medieval Swedish law stated that no one could inherit while staying in Greece.In the 11th century, there were also two other European courts that that recruited Scandinavians:Novgorod-Kiev (Kievan Rus') c. 980-1060 and London 1018-1066 (the Þingalið).

The Varangian Guard was only used in battle during critical moments, or where the battle was most fierce.Contemporary Byzantine chroniclers note with a mix of terror and fascination that the "Scandinavians were frightening both in appearance and in equipment, they attacked with reckless rage and neither cared about loosing blood nor their wounds".The description probably refers to berserkergang since the state of trance is said to have given superhuman strength and no sense of pain in the wounds.When the Byzantine Emperor died, the Varangians had the unique right of running to the imperial treasury and taking as much gold and as many gems as they could carry, a procedure known in Old Norse as polutasvarf ("palace pillaging").This privilege enabled many Varangians to return home as wealthy men, which encouraged even more Scandinavians to enlist in the Guard in Miklagarðr (Constantinople).

Composed primarily of Scandinavians for the first 100 years, the guard began to see increased inclusion of Anglo-Saxons after the successful invasion of England by the Normans. In 1088 a large number of Anglo-Saxons and Danes emigrated to the Byzantine Empire by way of the Mediterranean.One source has more than 5,000 of them arriving in 235 ships. Those who did not enter imperial service settled on the Black Sea coast, but those who did became so vital to the Varangians that the Guard was commonly called the Englinbarrangoi (Anglo-Varangians) from that point. In this capacity they fought in Sicily against the Normans under Robert Guiscard, who unsuccessfully sought to invade the lower Balkans as well.

One notable exception to the legendary Varangian loyalty to the throne occurred in 1071. After Emperor Romanus Diogenes was defeated by Sultan Alp Arslan, a palace coup was staged before he could return to Constantinople. His stepson, Caesar John Ducas, used the Varangian guard to depose the absent emperor, arrest Empress Eudoxia, and proclaim his brother, Michael VII, as emperor. Thus, instead of defending their absent emperor, the Varangians were used by the usurpers.

The Varangians relied on a long axe as their main weapon, although they were often skilled swordsmen or archers as well. In some sources they are described as mounted. The guard was stationed primarily around Constantinople, and may have been barracked in the Bucoleon palace complex. The guard also accompanied armies into the field, and Byzantine chroniclers (as well as several notable Western European and Arab chroniclers) often note their battlefield prowess, especially in comparison to the local barbarian peoples. They were vital to the Byzantine victory under the emperor John II Komnenos at the Battle of Beroia in 1122. The Varangians hacked their way through the enemy's circle of Pecheneg wagons, collapsing the Pecheneg position and causing a general rout in their camp.

Other than their fierce loyalty, the most recognizable attributes of the Varangian guard during the 11th century were their large axes and their penchant for drinking. There are countless stories of the Varangian guard either drinking in excess or being drunk. In 1103 during a visit to Constantinople, King Eric the Good of Denmark "exhorted members of the guard to lead a more sober life and not give themselves up to drunkenness." It is not surprising, therefore, to find a 12th century description of them as "the Emperor's wine-bags."

everyone should play medieval total war 2. you can play as the byzantines and they have varangian guard. also the game is kickass anyways.

I have it and I must say that the Varangian Guard is the most dependable unit in the Byzantine Army.I usually keep them for tough battles or to destroy the enemy when other units can't because apart from strong and with good morale they are so stubborn!
sFi_vikingax.gif

It's the same at A2 as well?! I'm only on AS... I may drop this at the end of this year... :erk:

In AS we did Russian Revolution, Henry VII and Henry VIII.

In A2 we do political reform in Britain between 18-something-or-other to 19-sometime-or-other and Edward VI and Mary.

On the plus side to these two shite subjects we get to write our own essay question and answer it =D

In AS we did Russian Revolution, Henry VII and Henry VIII.

In A2 we do political reform in Britain between 18-something-or-other to 19-sometime-or-other and Edward VI and Mary.

On the plus side to these two shite subjects we get to write our own essay question and answer it =D

You get to write your own? I hate you! :p

I'[m asking my teacher about this for sure.