The Veggie Thread

Never heard that band, and haven't made my own hummus just because I can easily find it in a local supermarket, but I love it so I should try making my own!

If we're gonna talk about bands with veggie messages, I love "Kentucky fried killing" by Animals Killing People, fucking BRUTAL, Colombian style brutal death

Never heard that band, and haven't made my own hummus just because I can easily find it in a local supermarket, but I love it so I should try making my own!

If we're gonna talk about bands with veggie messages, I love "Kentucky fried killing" by Animals Killing People, fucking BRUTAL, Colombian style brutal death

Surprised you've never heard about Earth Crisis before.

You can definitely buy some good hummus out there, but the thing is home-made hummus is easy to do, and you can put your final touch to it and have it taste unique, depending on what spice/herb you put in it (cilantro, basil, parsley, ...).

Gonna check out that Columbian band.

If i think of brutal and vegetarian, i also think of Cattle Decapitation.

My "veggie one day a week" routine is going really well. Made a Chilli this week with Quorn mince and a ton of different beans. Didn't miss meat at all....I really thought it would affect my energy levels etc.

I'm considering taking more days off meat.

My "veggie one day a week" routine is going really well. Made a Chilli this week with Quorn mince and a ton of different beans. Didn't miss meat at all....I really thought it would affect my energy levels etc.

I'm considering taking more days off meat.

Great to hear that man, my advice is keep finding new delicious recipes to try so you don't get stuck into thinking there's no variety in taking animal products out of your diet, because it's not true. Try getting a good cookbook, not all recipes on the Internet are good. Happy Hervibore, Vegan Planet for example are good to start.

When you have a good variety of delicious and nutritionally balanced dishes, you can try a 21 day Vegan challenge, just for three weeks try to stay away from animal products (or you can have eggs and milk and simply stay away from meat, whatever's more comfortable for you) just as a test to see how you feel both psychologically and physically. I've been meatless and almost completely animal free for over two months and definitely not going back!

I've been floored thus far to be honest. We've tried a few different recipes now and the flavours have all been amazing. I genuinely expected bland, unfulfilling foods.

I think I'm ready to take the 21 day challenge :D

Yeah the usual conception is "100% plant based? So your just eating plain vegetables all the time and no flavor? That must be a shitty life!", or in American terms: "...but bacon!!". But not only is there a ridiculously similar alternative to virtually every tasty dish, there are also tons of originally plant based meals that'll satisfy anyone's demanding taste buds as long as they're not tainted with previous "it's all hippy shit so I won't like it" bias.

If you're taking the challenge, I'm sure we would love it if you gave some reports here, about what meals you're having and how you're feeling/any lifestyle changes.

As for me, I might be on my way to confirming Peta's "boyfriend went vegan" ad campaign, check it on YouTube if you know what I mean ;-)

P.S. I'm not at all an unconditional PETA supporter, I disagree with it in many ways, but I find most of their ads funny and entertaining, and their website has some good resources for going vegan.

Dan have you tried Vegan Mayo??

Gotta say I applaud the attempt to provide such a replacement but it really is not tasty...

There are tons of brands, and it's easily homemade, you mention it as it's one "product". I use one I buy at a regular supermarket and it's fine, I use it all the time. I do prefer hummus as a sandwich spread, but for "normal people" sandwiches and for many recipes it works fine.

We ended up making a vegan meal for our friend, the gf made him garlic mayo to go with spiced potato wedges and stuffed peppers...

It was all quite tasty but the brand of mayo we found (and we went all over newcastle for this fucker) wasn't that good...

I was surprised by some of the vegan substitute products available when we eventually found them...

We ended up making a vegan meal for our friend, the gf made him garlic mayo to go with spiced potato wedges and stuffed peppers...

It was all quite tasty but the brand of mayo we found (and we went all over newcastle for this fucker) wasn't that good...

I was surprised by some of the vegan substitute products available when we eventually found them...

Yeah, and from what I've read it's even better in USA, great tasting substitutes for virtually everything, I really wanna taste some of that famous smart bacon for example

The thing I worry about (obv not a concern for yourselves) is that if Vegan substitutes are that good... how much processed food thats supposed to have meat and dairy in it does not feature real meat...?? I know a lot of it is a low percentage and rendered meat but...

Just tried this recipe for vegan cheese spread and it's quite delicious. Got it from the book Eat and Run by Scott Jurek.

1 16-ounce package of firm tofu
3 tablespoons white or yellow miso
3 tablespoons of lemon juice (I subbed apple cider vinegar)
1/4 cup tahini
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
3 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

Put all ingredients into blender and process until smooth. It ends up having the texture of hummus, but with a definite cheddar'y vibe. Great with crackers, on bread, as a dip, etc.

Just tried this recipe for vegan cheese spread and it's quite delicious. Got it from the book Eat and Run by Scott Jurek.

1 16-ounce package of firm tofu
3 tablespoons white or yellow miso
3 tablespoons of lemon juice (I subbed apple cider vinegar)
1/4 cup tahini
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
3 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

Put all ingredients into blender and process until smooth. It ends up having the texture of hummus, but with a definite cheddar'y vibe. Great with crackers, on bread, as a dip, etc.

Judging by the ingredients, that's probably really good, I'll have to try it soon, I'll see if I squeeze into my mealplan/shopping list for next week

Made vegetarian Chicken Madras today. I used Quorn Chicken pieces and they were indistinguishable from the real thing. The curry was absolutely delicious. I don't think it'd be suitable for vegans though as the Quorn pieces use egg as a stabilizer I think.

Could always use Chick Peas though?

Without turning this thread into my own personal Veggie diary, it's been 3 days now since I've eaten any meat.

I don't feel weak or hungry, in fact my appetite is getting smaller. That could be because I've give up soda too.

Is this a normal reaction? Anyone?

Without turning this thread into my own personal Veggie diary, it's been 3 days now since I've eaten any meat.

I don't feel weak or hungry, in fact my appetite is getting smaller. That could be because I've give up soda too.

Is this a normal reaction? Anyone?

I don't remember my appetite getting smaller, but :

-giving up soda is always a good thing anyway :)
-maybe drinking soda (since it's very sweet) was making you hungry as well ?