The Veggie Thread

This is a really great thread, aside from all of the derailment :Smug:. I've been thinking about jumping to the other side, but I just don't know if I can let go of my omnivorous tendencies. I think I just need some good recipes though, and so far this thread is looking good. I also brew beer at home, and have found some good recipes for using all of my spent grains that I would just normally throw away :). So if anyone is interested in that, there are a ton of good looking foods in that area!

DEFIED said:
This is a really great thread, aside from all of the derailment :Smug:. I've been thinking about jumping to the other side, but I just don't know if I can let go of my omnivorous tendencies. I think I just need some good recipes though, and so far this thread is looking good. I also brew beer at home, and have found some good recipes for using all of my spent grains that I would just normally throw away :). So if anyone is interested in that, there are a ton of good looking foods in that area!

I highly recommend you go to amazon and spend 2 stupid bucks on a kindle copy of "The ultimate Vegan Guide", it's what finally convinced me to take the step into it after having it in my head for quite a while. It's not "ultimate" in the sense of it having the most complete information on the subject, on the contrary, it's simple and not too long, with the clearly explained basics to get you started on all aspects of the vegan lifestyle, I wouldn't have been able to pull it off if it weren't for that book. I've read much more after it, on proper nutrition, cookbooks, etc. but the basics are very well explained in that first book. Try it at least to do a 21 day vegan challenge, you can always go back if it's not your thing, or stay a part-time vegan.

The beer thing sounds really interesting, is that a lot of work?

Achtland said:
Black Metal Chef is cool but I hate fucking beans! :puke:

I've never tried fucking beans, eating them is ok though :lol:

The beer thing sounds really interesting, is that a lot of work?

Its not too bad actually. Once you are done extracting all of the sugars out of the grains that you needs for your beer, you are left with a bunch of leftover grains. And then you can save it and either dry it, or freeze it for use in any food recipes for another time. You can use it in cookies, breads, pizza crust, veggie burgers, dog treats, etc. The possibilities are endless pretty much :kickass:

DEFIED said:
Its not too bad actually. Once you are done extracting all of the sugars out of the grains that you needs for your beer, you are left with a bunch of leftover grains. And then you can save it and either dry it, or freeze it for use in any food recipes for another time. You can use it in cookies, breads, pizza crust, veggie burgers, dog treats, etc. The possibilities are endless pretty much :kickass:

Cool, do you have any links or resources on how that's done?

I've never tried fucking beans, eating them is ok though :lol:

Haha

Looking at that Forks Over Knives movie you mentioned Dan, really interesting stuff. I for one I'm prone to be swayed towards a progressively more vegetarian diet based on health benefits (and a leaner physique if possible), more so if there's some science behind it. The ''moral'' argument has always been quite unconvincing to me, though.

About the soy thing, once I tried to 'substitute' red meat with soy, but that sh*t started making me fat real fast, so had to ditch it. Got told by doctors later on that it was because of hormone-related effects, hence my post before. Then again, the soy I was taking was rather cheap, and had a LOT of caloric content in it (I think it was mixed in with something else.. lard, maybe :lol:)
Guess not all soy products are created equal..

When cooking red meat, I peel all the visible fat from it if any (the white parts) and steam it with spices (rather than fry it with oil), works well enough for me I guess. Replacing it altogether would be best, but it doesn't prove easy.

What about fish?
I eat canned tuna and sardines, steamed tilapia, etc and have been told by every other gym instructor those are an excellent source of protein and essential fats. And since some of it is canned it's convenient, but then of course you have people talking really bad about the harmful effects of the cans leaking substances into the food.. :zzz:
I guess at least low-on-mercury fish outta be healthy..

IMO vegetarian-only advocates should always bear in mind there are studies 'proving' both the benefits and harmful effects of just about almost everything on a common menu, for example many claim 'commercially available' vegetables to be filled with pesticides, then you end up finding folks growing their own vegetables at home (at which point it gets too extreme for me) and buying weird stuff and seeds ONLY from hard-to-find, select 'boutique' organic stores.. it begins to become tiresome.

I'm all for eating healthier, but sometimes all the conflicting info out there reminds me of this Simpsons joke:

41NM9ZQSVML._SL500_SS500_.gif

This thread is still quite good in learning more on the subject though :headbang:

AD Chaos said:
Haha

Looking at that Forks Over Knives movie you mentioned Dan, really interesting stuff. I for one I'm prone to be swayed towards a progressively more vegetarian diet based on health benefits (and a leaner physique if possible), more so if there's some science behind it. The ''moral'' argument has always been quite unconvincing to me, though.

About the soy thing, once I tried to 'substitute' red meat with soy, but that sh*t started making me fat real fast, so had to ditch it. Got told by doctors later on that it was because of hormone-related effects, hence my post before. Then again, the soy I was taking was rather cheap, and had a LOT of caloric content in it (I think it was mixed in with something else.. lard, maybe :lol:)
Guess not all soy products are created equal..

When cooking red meat, I peel all the visible fat from it if any (the white parts) and steam it with spices (rather than fry it with oil), works well enough for me I guess. Replacing it altogether would be best, but it doesn't prove easy.

What about fish?
I eat canned tuna and sardines, steamed tilapia, etc and have been told by every other gym instructor those are an excellent source of protein and essential fats. And since some of it is canned it's convenient, but then of course you have people talking really bad about the harmful effects of the cans leaking substances into the food.. :zzz:
I guess at least low-on-mercury fish outta be healthy..

IMO vegetarian-only advocates should always bear in mind there are studies 'proving' both the benefits and harmful effects of just about almost everything on a common menu, for example many claim 'commercially available' vegetables to be filled with pesticides, then you end up finding folks growing their own vegetables at home (at which point it gets too extreme for me) and buying weird stuff and seeds ONLY from hard-to-find, select 'boutique' organic stores.. it begins to become tiresome.

I'm all for eating healthier, but sometimes all the conflicting info out there reminds me of this Simpsons joke:

This thread is still quite good in learning more on the subject though :headbang:

On the moral argument, forks over knives and pretty much any vegan lifestyle book or video should help to convince you, go to vegan.org and start from there.

On the health issue, you should start at veganhealth.org, it has links to peer reviewed and published studies supporting all its claims, and I'd you're interested even more, buy his book. I've been doing lots of reading, but still can't call myself an expert on the subject, not even close, so I rather refer you to studies and reports from actual experts.

On the soy thing... Soy with lard? Wut? Hahaha it's not about replacing red meat with soy, it's about not eating any meat (fish included, they don't tend to grow from the ground so most of us don't consider them vegetables, as much as Spanish people seem to think so) and eating tons of different plant based foods instead. You shouldn't try replacing one specific food with another, none is exactly like another one nutrient-wise.

I started the process of being a vegetarian about 7 years ago and for the last two years i´ve been meat-free. I still eat egg-based and milk-based stuff because, oh well, it is so hard being a 100% veggie on the place I live. I love being vegetarian, I improved a lot as a person being one: I am calmer person, my health has improved , my weight has gone down (i lost almost more than 40lb, but as a bread lover, i regained some hehhe).

I support everyone being veg of course, but it is much harder doing it abruptly. I´d take out stuff one by one and this way it gets much easier. You become used to use less sugar, less salt, learn to like different and complex flavors you didnt appreciate before..you just have to think about your feeding a little more.

Btw, I travelled for 3 days with my family to a beach 80 miles from home and it was almost hell to eat. The first day i ate beans, rice and french fries, the 2nd day i ate ´tapioquinha´ (a local food made of Tapioca) with cheese and the 3rd day...just french fries. My stomach is still complaining about it ehhehe

On the moral argument, forks over knives and pretty much any vegan lifestyle book or video should help to convince you, go to vegan.org and start from there.

On the health issue, you should start at veganhealth.org, it has links to peer reviewed and published studies supporting all its claims, and I'd you're interested even more, buy his book. I've been doing lots of reading, but still can't call myself an expert on the subject, not even close, so I rather refer you to studies and reports from actual experts.

On the soy thing... Soy with lard? Wut? Hahaha it's not about replacing red meat with soy, it's about not eating any meat (fish included, they don't tend to grow from the ground so most of us don't consider them vegetables, as much as Spanish people seem to think so) and eating tons of different plant based foods instead. You shouldn't try replacing one specific food with another, none is exactly like another one nutrient-wise.

Not really lard haha, it was more like flour added -to make it cheaper I guess.

'Forks Over Knives' is basically a scientific study on the correlation between red meat consumption and coronary/arterial disease. It was interesting and seemed objective, as one of the doctors involved used to own and work on a dairy/meat farm (which he ended up transforming).

Even though I didn't really want to, I sort of forced myself into watching 'Earthlings'. One of the most horrific things I've ever seen on film (far beyond horror movies). Thought I was going to throw up last night cooking dinner.

For sure I'm going to consider incorporating more vegetables into my diet from now on. Definitely even much more fruit (I like those much more than veggies).
But as Ivan says, I too will have to do it progressively, as I think it would be very difficult to find a diet doctor (like the ones on Forks Over Knives) to have my meals properly replaced overnight with many alternative and balanced options.

Even though I didn't really want to, I sort of forced myself into watching 'Earthlings'. One of the most horrific things I've ever seen on film (far beyond horror movies). Thought I was going to throw up last night cooking dinner.

Everyone should watch this "Earthlings" movie, here is a link to it :

http://www.documentarywire.com/earthlings

EDIT : John Joseph's "meat is for pussies" book is a good read also.

Djabthrash said:
Everyone should watch this "Earthlings" movie, here is a link to it :

http://www.documentarywire.com/earthlings

EDIT : John Joseph's "meat is for pussies" book is a good read also.

I agree, everyone, specially people who eat meat, should see earthlings, at least if you keep eating it you can't hide under ignorance to justify it, with lame arguments like "lions kill their food".

I hope I don't get lots of hate for that, I've seen that film, saw lots of offer stuff like that and so on,
but, I still eat meat, I don't want to argue about it, I try to get good meat, farmed locally from animals
that had at least a decent life and weren't hold in cages and so on.
I don't eat lots of meat, only about 500gramms per month, that's around 6kg per year, maybe 7 kg due
to christmas when it's just normal to eat more meat around here, but that's it.
The average USA citizen eats about 124kg of meat per year, that's neither healthy nor good for our
enviroment, that's true, I actually eat less fish than the 7kg per year, about 4-6 eggs per month and
drink 3-5 litres of milk per month, that's it-most of my meals are vegan or at least vegetarian and due
to that, I don't think that I am going to destroy the world with my sick carnivoric behaviour of killing
harmless creatures (sorry for the sarcasm here, but that's how I felt after watching Earthlings).

Imho, if you want to eat meat, you should know how it is produced and how the animals are living if
you want cheapass meat and I hate people who just ignore this, like my gf's step-sisters who eat lots
of chicken and pork, but won't eat steak because calfs are cute...that's bullshit, sure they may look
cute, but if you want to eat meat, accept the reality that it's an animal and may look cute.

I like animals, I wouldn't describe myself as an enviromentalist, but I love nature and animals, but I still
think it's ok to eat meat if you do it like I described above, one of the main problems is that so much of
the animals get wasted for no reason, I think you should use as much as possible like in former times.

Sorry for the little rant, just had a personal experience with a pretty militant vegan girl that wanted to
spit on me because I said that I don't see a problem at all to eat honey...

To get back to topic:
Does anyone have recipes for good dips? I just made an awesome aioli yesterday for example that was
really easy (just garlic, salt and olive oil) and that you could actually use for lots of other stuff (as a
seasoning for dough for example or with hummus).
I mean stuff like vegan mayonaise or stuff like that, many dips are already vegan from the start, but I
would like to get to know more.

Steff, I don't judge people or hate or "want to spit " on anyone because of their dietary choices, people can do what they want, I just think they should be informed and not use their ignorance in favor of their choices, "but we NEED meat to live, I've heard vegetarians lack some nutrient
I don't even know the name of, some random dude told me once". And you don't do that, you are aware.

In case you haven't seen forks over knives or read The China Study, you should know even small amounts of animal protein have been proven to trigger and highly increase the risk of many types of cancer, diabetes and heart disease, even in small doses such as yours. I'm not saying this to try to convince you to join the vegan club, just so you have the knowledge and no excuse when confronted with it.

About the dips, I've seen some Veganaise recipes but I prefer to buy it it a supermarket because homemade goes bad pretty quick, and I don't want to have to be making small amounts constantly. Alioli sounds great btw, I loved that one, I'll definitely try it. I don't know any more right now, still discovering.

@Steff : you sound plenty reasonable to me and i agree with pretty much everything you said, i wish more people were at your level in terms of diet/awareness but sadly they don't.

I'm trying to be a vegetarian and even vegan as much as possible but once in a while for some reason i find myself eating a little bit of meat or some other animal product and the moment after i'm like "i could have skipped this", but as long as i go go back to my regular vegetarian/almost vegan diet i feel fine again.

Still, i try to stay away from animal products as much as possible, and in general (animal products or not), i'll favour organic/local/seasonal stuff.

Now i think that as Dan said, we are better off staying away from animal products as much as we can, which is what i'm trying to do, even if not succeeding 100% yet.

I like apple juice, nuts, and cookies. That is about the extent of vegan I consume. :lol:

I wouldn't mind trying some of the things you guys suggested though.

Are regular cooking agents like eggs and milk just substituted for something vegan friendly? Could vegan mayo be seasoned to not taste as shitty as some have said?

I like apple juice, nuts, and cookies. That is about the extent of vegan I consume. :lol:

I wouldn't mind trying some of the things you guys suggested though.

Are regular cooking agents like eggs and milk just substituted for something vegan friendly? Could vegan mayo be seasoned to not taste as shitty as some have said?

yeah there are ways to replace eggs and milk, for eggs I buy "No Egg" y Orgran, but in USA I've heard "EnerG Egg replacer" seems to be the best option. On milk, I use soy milk for cooking, but I buy a "plain", sugar-less brand for cooking, while I use a fortified brand for cereals and smoothies, but I've been switching it up with other types of vegan milks such as almond, oat, rice, etc. for cereals and smoothies.

I love vegan mayo, I buy one in a local supermarket, haven't tried any homemade or other brands, but the one I buy is perfectly fine by my standards, so I can't help on that, sorry.

@Djab: I think the argument about health is great, but if you need that final step to go 100% vegan (and you want to of course, judging by your post you seem to want to), do it for the animals, what factory farms do to them is atrocious and the fact that it is considered "accepted" and "normal" in our society is nothing short of sickening to me.

I have a question for you Dan, what oil do you use for cooking? Or do you use soy milk? What's the healthier oil for cooking?

I keep hearing nasty things about so called 'healthy' oils like canola oil, made in Canada (which is what I'm currently using, actually).
I got olive oil some time ago but was told cooking anything with that is actually quite unhealthy and damaging to the heart. As in good only for raw salads? I've read on the topic but is still quite confusing..