The Veggie Thread

Uhm... No. Clearly stated in the OP, this is to share the experience in general amongst people who care about it, I also asked non-veggies to gtfo if they weren't gonna share meals or participate. Are you retarded dear sir?

Yo bro! I'm not the one eating food that looks like cat sick!:puke:

Last edited by a moderator:
About the recipe part, do you want to go fully vegan or for examlpe ovo-lacto vegetarian?
Especially for ovo-lacto vegetarians, there are soooooo many tasty things, besides the 500g meat
per month I am almost ovo-lacto vegetarian :D Like I said before, there are some tasty vegan meals,
but I ate lots of bad dishes, too, but if you are able to get yourself some good vegan ingredients you
are able to cook some delicious things!
There are loads of pasta dishes you can do that are fully vegan for example (no problem making vegan
pasta yourself).

I love vegetable curry with flatbread, it's pretty easy to do, just needs some time-you need this:
for the curry itself:
-yellow curry paste (2 tbs)
-onions (2)
-garlic (3 cloves)
-fresh red chilis (2-3 chilis, remove the seed if you don't like it really, really hot)
-coriander (around 10-15 leaves)
-garam masala (indian mixed spices) (1 tsp)
-curry powder (2 tsp)
-cinaom (just 1/4 tsp)
-salt&pepper (a finger twist of both)
-sugar (see salt&pepper ;) )
-2 cans of tomatoes (400g per can)
-around 400-500g potatoes

For the flatbread:
-300g flour
-backing powder (1/2 tsp)
-salt (1/2 tsp)
-curcuma (1/2 tsp)
-olive oil (1 tbs)
-150 ml water

Couscous is pretty nice as a side dish, too, you can combine it with the flatbread and get
yourself some vegan joghurt (add some salt and a bit of lemon juice).

Curry:
Hack the onions, the garlic and the chilies, brown it in a pot with a bit of olive oil, after
about 1-2 minutes, at the curry paste, the curry powder, the garam masala and the cinamon.
Mix it a bit and let it brown for 30 seconds, add about 50ml of water so it doesn't brown too much.
Now add the tomatoes, let everything boil abit, 10 minutes should be enough, now mix it abit
so it's more like a sauce (you don't have to, I just like it that way), boil it a few more minutes again.
Now peel the tomates and let the curry boil, cut the potatoes into smaller pieces (like 2x2x2 cm)
and put them in the pot, they gonna boil in the curry by themself, now add the salt and pepper,
it's gonna take about an hour to get the potatoes to a good point.
Now cut the coriander leaves into smaller pieces and add them, from now on, you can eat it, it's
up to you if you want to cook it any longer.

Flatbread:
Just mix all the ingredients until you get a flexible dough, it will be enough for like 10 flatbreads, cut the
into 10 balls with the same size, roll them and roast it in a pan with a little bit of olive oil, it takes about
2-3 minutes per flatbread.

Couscous:
Add a bit of salt, some spices if you like, boiled water on top-I think that's it :D

Tastes awesome, gonna take some pics the next time I am gonna cook it (maybe today).

@Dan: Rabbit Food - referring to my mate who is uber vegan, he often will not bother cooking his veg, just straight up raw vegan, I'm close to banning him from taking a dump in our house...

I've had some nice Vegan food before, when the previously mentioned Vegan friend came over my girlfriend made him Peppers stuffed with rice, mushrooms and vegan cheese, with a side of potato wedges and vegan mayo... gotta say the mayo is rank but the stuffed peppers were good...

Steff, that sounds really good, I'm copying it so I can give it a try one of these days, thanks!

Gary: yeah I've got a friend who's almost completely raw vegan, with his hippy shit about eating life and connecting with the life you're eating :lol: I like salad sure, but to me nothing beats stir-fried or grilled veggies

That's exactly what they're doing when naming the plates like that. Turn it the other way around - why do they have to associate meat types with the dishes when consciously avoiding meat altogether? It's not like I'm eating bacon cucumber, right? :D

Ok, the sushi example wasn't that good, although originally sushi meant the combination of rice and raw fish. Vegetarian sushi doesn't contain fish. Seitan kebab is something the vegetarian enthusiast keep talking about all the time, at least around here. And tofu ham? Yup. Tofu ham, tofu sausage, tofu hot dog, you name it. One of the most common vegetarian dish around these parts is tofu [insert meat here].

I like all kinds of nuts.

so many gay euphemisms in here :lol:

Gary: yeah I've got a friend who's almost completely raw vegan, with his hippy shit about eating life and connecting with the life you're eating :lol: I like salad sure, but to me nothing beats stir-fried or grilled veggies

I felt kind of bad the last time he was over, I tried to make him drink skimmed milk with the phrase "c'mon its mostly water anyway"...

@Dan-that's how it should look ;) (actually didn't get coriander, think of it lying on the curry)

curry.jpg

I get what you're saying, but this thread in itself could be construed as trying to shove veg beliefs down our throats. If it wasn't there in the first place, you'd have nothing to now be complaining about.

Simple, if the idea of vegetarianism offends you, don't open a thread called "The Veggie Thread"! :)

thanks-came out pretty nice so I had to take a pic :D

Another thing I really like is Focaccia with a arugula salad, it's pretty easy, especially the Focaccia dough
that you can use for Pizza and so on, too.

Focaccia:
-500g flour
-250ml warm water
-5 tbs olive oil
-1 tbs salt
-one pack of dried yeast or one cube (I think around 40g) fresh yeast

you can add oregano, basil, dried tomatoes or whatever you like to it without a problem, I like some hacked up garlic

for the "topping" of the Focaccia:
-a few (7-10) cherry tomatoes
-10, 15 leaves of basil
-1 tbs sea salt
-5 tbs olive oil
-some fresh pepper

if vegetarian is ok for you, you can add some parmesan on top, it's more like a spice than melted cheese.

Just mix all the stuff for the dough until it's flexible, let it sit in a warm place for about 3-4 hours so it's at least
twice its size, now put it on a baking plate so you get a round, around 3-4 cm high piece of dough on the plate.
Press your finger tips in it, not through, just some little bumps, pour the olive oil over it, now cut the tomatoes
in half and lay them on top, spread the salt on top, put in the oven (at least 180°C, the higher, the better) for
about 15-30 minutes, depends on the temperature you get (if you get a great oven with around 300°C 10 minutes
are enough).
Take it out, pour the basil on top and put it back in the oven for 30 seconds so the basil gets hot, too and spreads
some of it's nice flavour-that's it.

I like aragula salad as a side dish to this Focaccia because the bitterness of the aragula really fits the sweetness of
the cherry tomatoes, add some balsamico vinegar so get a nice sour note in there, too, add tomatoes, pine nuts or
whatever you like, it's a salad, be creative ;) (lemon juice always fits!)

With the Focaccia dough, you can make a Pizza without cheese, too (I dislike vegan cheese style products), get
some nice tomatoes (they have to smell like tomatoes) cut them into slices, put them on top of the dough, so they
are really tight, add some olives, onion rings, pour some garlic oil on top (you can do this pretty easy by yourself)
and bake it for 10-15 minutes at 180°C at least, take it out, put some aragula on top, put it back in the oven for
2-3 minutes, the aragula falls down a bit but tastes really nice now (if you want it less bitter, wash it in warm
water, that helps to get rid of the bitterness-for all salads).

Edit: Forgot to add, a tbs of sugar in the dough always helps if you don't have that much time, it's like food for the
yeast in it, it's nice if you want to make pizza (you can use the dough earlier than for the focaccia) if you get a
place with around 30°C you can start making pizza after letting the dough sit for around 30-40 minutes.

I've been vegan for about six years, it's pretty easy once you get used to it. I have probably a dozen regular meals that I make at home; Pasta, Curry, Stirfry, Pizza, Burgers, Burritos, Roast veges, salads. Most places are happy to make you a vegan meal if they don't already have one on the menu. Thai, Indian, Mexican, Japanese restaurants usually have heaps of vegan options.

The hardest part is finding decent food in remote locations, I've had a few gas station feeds on tour and they're never fun. Just have to make sure you plan ahead as much as possible!

no offense, but that vegan stroganoff looked like the dog mess i just cleaned up after he somehow got into the frisge, ate a whole crock-pot of pulled pork, then proceded to explode in our living room

but that Eggplant Milanesa and boiled potato looks AWESOME...my solo project is entitled "Catfish of the Learning Eggplant"

FUCK i love fried eggplant :O

Vegetarian for 19 years but I get free range eggs from friends and try to eat Canarian goat cheese only as some of the Canary Islands have their animals free.
I try to get organic food, beware of the Monsanto corn and food in general.
Also Tenerife is quite a good place for vegetarians sometimes, not as much as London but definitely better than the rest of Spain.

matt youwin said:
The best vegan cheese I've found Cheezly Mozzarella http://crueltyfreeshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=280, it's good but still not that close to the real thing.

Apparently you can make your own 'cheese' with cashews but I've never tried.

Looks cool, but buying refrigerated goods from America to Europe doesn't sound like a good idea haha

I have a recipe for cashew cheese that I got from the book "The Ultimate Vegan Guide". (link is in the OP), I'm planning on trying it out next month when I have the time and money to go shopping at natural food stores and building an inventory on vegan ingredients I'm missing, I'll post here if it's any good.

I've been vegan since December for a combination of health and ethical reasons. After watching Forks over Knives and Earthlings I really couldn't justify eating meat and dairy. I've also since found out that I have a mild allergy to dairy (as most of us do) and I feel great since eliminating cheese. I've lost 25lbs just by changing my diet - no additional exercise or calorie counting.

This recipe is fucking awesome - when you look at the ingredients list you go :zombie:, but it's delicious:
http://ohsheglows.com/2011/03/07/olive-oil-pasta-with-walnuts-lentils-and-red-peppers/

These enchiladas are also awsome:
http://ohsheglows.com/2011/05/04/vegan-enchiladas-with-cilantro-avocado-cream-sauce-2/

I thoroughly enjoy this series:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxdj-fQBFDc&feature=relmfu[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, more veggies than I thought around here! Anybody got some good vegan cheese recipes? Like for pizzas, sandwiches, etc.?

Vegan Mozzerella :D (not my recipe)(its the recipe my sister uses from food.com)

1 cup water
2 cloves roasted garlic
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons tahini (more you use the cheesier it gets)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
3 tablespoons quick-cooking rolled oats
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt or 1/2 teaspoon sodium-free seasoning Directions:
1 Put it all in a food processor or blender, and process til totally smooth.
2 Put in a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until smooth and thick.
3 This will thicken to a spread if you let it but I find that adding more water if that happens makes it gooey again so it works well on pizza.
4 If you're going to let it sit while you put the pizza together, stop cooking when it's still a bit thin and cover the pot.

Vegan Sharp Cheddar also one my sister uses from food.com

5 teaspoons powdered agar-agar or 5 tablespoons agar-agar flakes
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup cashews
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 cup pimiento
3 -4 tablespoons lemon juice, depending on how sharp you want it
2 teaspoons onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard

1 Begin by combining the agar and tap water in a small sauce pan.
2 Heat over a medium flame, stirring often.
3 When the mixture boils, reduce the heat a bit.
4 Allow the agar to boil gently for 5 minutes.
5 Stir often to prevent burning and to make sure that all of the agar dissolves.
6 Meanwhile, measure all of the other ingredients into a blender container.
7 When the agar is finished boiling, carefully pour it into the blender container.
8 Place the lid on the blender and whizz it on high for about a minute.
9 Stop, scrape down the sides, replace the lid and whizz again, for about another minute.
10 The mixture should be very smooth and the same orange color as dairy cheddar.
11 Pour the mixture into a small, lightly oiled loaf pan.
12 The pan I use is about 3 by 7 inches.
13 Place the pan in the refrigerator and allow it to chill until firm.